How is the Weather in March????

Snoopygirl

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about going to DL for the first time in March when our DD is on spring break. How will the weather be?? How about crowds?

Thanks!

The crowds in early March are pretty light, but if you are going in late March during spring break the parks will be busy. Not busy like summer time or Christmas time, but busier then early March. Weather can really vary. I would plan on dressing in layers. Mornings and evenings you'll want jackets and pants. A little lighter during the day. March can be rainy, so you'll want to be prepared for that as well.

We went this past March and it was unseasonably cold. In the evenings we all had abou 4 layers of clothes on- tshirt, regular shirt, sweatshirt and coats. As well as gloves and hats. We about froze trying to sit and watch fireworks and F!. And it was WINDY. They canceled fireworks more nights then not. It was horrible. But, like I said, it was unseasonable. They were getting snow in the foothills- crazy cold for that area!

When I've gone in March before the crowds have been non-existent. The weather varies. A few times it was sunny and warm, but once it poured (torential and I'm from Seattle area, I'm used to rain) almost our entire trip. You just never seem to know with March.

If you don't mind chancing rain, I think it's a good time to go. Just pack some inexpensive rain ponchos to carry with you. You can buy them for $.89 at Target or pay $7 or more in the parks.

hlbtimes2 said:
We went this past March and it was unseasonably cold. In the evenings we all had abou 4 layers of clothes on- tshirt, regular shirt, sweatshirt and coats. As well as gloves and hats. We about froze trying to sit and watch fireworks and F!. And it was WINDY. They canceled fireworks more nights then not. It was horrible. But, like I said, it was unseasonable. They were getting snow in the foothills- crazy cold for that area!

omg you arent kidding...I had sweatshirt, coat, gloves, hat I was freeeeeeeezing....and when we came over the grapevine there was snow on it....I was lucky because I got to see Fantasmic and the fireworks were on everynight...the daytime was nice...I never wore shorts...always tshirts and capris and the one time I did grr I wore my poncho...never did SM no way was i wanting to get wet :rotfl:

disneegrl4eva said:
omg you arent kidding...I had sweatshirt, coat, gloves, hat I was freeeeeeeezing....and when we came over the grapevine there was snow on it....I was lucky because I got to see Fantasmic and the fireworks were on everynight...the daytime was nice...I never wore shorts...always tshirts and capris and the one time I did grr I wore my poncho...never did SM no way was i wanting to get wet :rotfl:

Can you give us the actual numbers (degrees) of what the weather was for a fair comparison? Not to dismiss your freeeeeeezing, but I have to take any postings from west-coasters about weather with a grain of salt :rotfl: I have no doubt we'll need jackets for morning and night, but hat and mittens? Even if it's unseasonably cold, it can't be colder than here!

We went March 12-17 a few years ago. The weather was beautiful. Highs in the low 70s. Crowds weren't too bad either.

I've lurked for a bit and registered to start essentially the same thread as this. The information so far has been quite useful.

My wife and I will be at DLR March 10-14th, 2007. It has been short of impossible to find adequate data on crowds for these days.

Why?

Because nearly every guidebook or site uses the same vague language: "Crowds are light in early March, but are heavy during Spring Break".

The problem is mainly "Spring Break". This break is highly variable depending on state and even school district. In fact, March 10-14th happens to be (the first half of) our Spring Break.

I've resorted to randomly searching school districts across the country to gauge just where this mystical "spring break" creature lives. So far, I've found that most school districts have an April break this year to coincide with Easter, so that's good news for us.

Matt & Lauren

we went March 11-17 and spring break was out in full force...all the DLR hotels were booked for that time period and pretty much all of march period and were booked by end of Jan....I totally panicked...AAA and Costco had sold out of several of the hotels in Anaheim...I ended up having to book with the hotel directly and luckily I got a room...it was packed...given it was probably because of the 50th but all of AZ schools were out during that time...

That's discouraging to hear. We'll not have a problem with hotel booking as I plan to reserve the day 2007 bookings are offered, but considering this will be our first trip to Disneyland (and my Disney-crazy wife's first trip to ANY Disney park), I was hoping for the best.

M&L

Some followup research of Arizona school district calendars yields that about 1/3 have SB the 12-16, 1/3 the 19-23, and 1/3 the first week of April.

M&L

We were there this past March 28-April 3, 2006 and it was chilly in the mornings (50's) and evenings(definitely bring a sweatshirt). The days were in the 60's to low 70's. It rained off and on for 3 of the 7 days we were there. One day there was a serious downpour. We drove down from WA state and thank goodness it didn't snow in the passes on our drive down. We were constantly looking at the weather forecast to ensure that we'd not have to worry about snow. We flew down in February 2004 and the weather was great (70's-90's). I guess it varies and we were extremely lucky that February.

On the plus side, I believe the "kids fly free' is available during the month of march as well as the stay 4 nights or more onsite ,get a $150 gift card promo.

disneegrl4eva said:
it was probably because of the 50th but all of AZ schools were out during that time...

Uh, nope. We had our Spring Break (PV district) the last week of March and are scheduled for that again this year.

I think it is best to think of Spring Break in this way ....... the last three weeks in March and up to the first three weeks in April. That way you should cover most school districts around the country, though I wouldn't doubt somebody, somewhere does it differently. Count on crowds, but longer hours. With good planning, it can be done with little line waiting. See posts on how to maximize fastpasses, traveling in peak season, etc. Hydroguy has some great posts on this and also includes links to other helpful sites. Don't despair, it can be done.

A bit off topic, we are leaving tomorrow for San Diego then Disney. If anyone is interested, I can *try* to post somewhat live reports about crowds and weather.

Off to finish packing.....

I live in Arizona too, and agree- spring break does vary with school districts. Our school district is the second week of March, and the one next to us has the second and third week off. (they are on modified year round)

This has the average weather for the year: http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm Click on the weather- it will show you the average high and lows for that month and the average rainfall.

Crowds in March BEFORE spring break are lite. During Heavy crowds. Weather?? Could go either way. Cold wet and rain or spring and warm. It's CA hard to predict.

mommabo said:
Uh, nope. We had our Spring Break (PV district) the last week of March and are scheduled for that again this year. QUOTE]

when I was preparing to go tons of people on this board who said they were in AZ was coming to DL and they all said they had spring break during march....so I was referring to the entire month of march not just the days I went

mommabo said:
A bit off topic, we are leaving tomorrow for San Diego then Disney. If anyone is interested, I can *try* to post somewhat live reports about crowds and weather. QUOTE]

:lmao: we all know what the crowds and weather are like in July

I don't think I've ever been in March when it was unbearable. A few more people then I like, sure, but never enough to have wished I had not come KWIM.

The weather....crazy. Bring shorts and tank tops and jeans and rain coats. Never fails though that it rains through my daughters Birthday parties (mid March) and then is bright shiney perfect weather the rest of the week. I ruined my cell phone at Disneyland during a freak and POURING rain storm at Dland in March though. I vote to bring protective gear :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter