How is Olivander's during early entry?

ruthies12

DIS Veteran
Staying at RPR the weekend of MLK and my 9 year old DD wants to get her own wand and would dearly love to be the person picked for the experience at Olivanders. Trying to figure out my best strategy for that Saturday morning since it's a holiday weekend. We have no interest in getting in line for Hagrids or velocicoaster and have express for everything else so wondering if we would be better off going to the Olivanders in Hogsmeade immediately at early entry or if we should wait in line on the US side for regular opening and go to Olivanders in Diagon Alley?

I doubt we will get there early enough to be at the front of the pack for EE, we would probably arrive close to actual opening at 8. Or we could head to the US side and be there by 8:30. I doubt being at the front of the line will make much difference, if other people get in line right behind us they'll be put in the same room as us regardless of who got there first so really just wondering if anyone has any clues as to which side will be less likely to have people in line for Olivanders first thing, any suggestions? Or do you all think they are both likely to have people in line right away? My preference would be to start on the US side cause I wanted to do breakfast in the leaky cauldron so if it's not likely to matter we'll just stick with that plan

If you're going to be close to actual opening (not EE), you'd do better to go to US. IME they let non-EE peeps loose several minutes before official opening time, so fair chance you'd be behind all the EE peeps and in the midst of the non-EE peeps. Because everything in US will open at the same time, people will be spread out amongst the whole park instead of all funneled into one HP area.

We did EE last week (also stayed at RPR) and went straight to Olivanders at USO. I'm not sure if USO is doing EE this month and it might just be IoA.
We got in right away. My kids were not selected for the wand experience, but that was fine as they were a bit nervous since it was their very first time in the park and that was the first thing we did. After the wand experience, we went into the connecting shop where they were able to take their time in selecting their individuals wands.
I will say that the customer service was great. One of my boys dropped his wand and broke whatever electronic mechanism was in it for the spells. We walked back up to Olivanders and requested a 'wand repair' at the suggestion of one of the employees helping kids with their spells. The employee outside of Olivanders took it in the store, came out and handed us a new 'repaired' wand.

To clarify for other answerers: At that time Islands of Adventure will be EE; USO will not.

I'm not speaking from a position of experience; we'll be that weekend too! (Arriving Sat evening, in-park Sun and Mon.) But I'm planning on going to regular-opening USO and going straight to Ollivander's in Diagon Alley, for a number of reasons:
  • I've heard a lot about how much roomier the Diagon's location is than the Hogsmeade one, and the line might be more manageable?
  • We're devoting our first full day to Wizarding World, and for narrative purposes it makes sense to follow Harry's journey: start in Muggle London, move into Diagon Alley, buy a wand, and eventually ride the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade.

To clarify for other answerers: At that time Islands of Adventure will be EE; USO will not.

I'm not speaking from a position of experience; we'll be that weekend too! (Arriving Sat evening, in-park Sun and Mon.) But I'm planning on going to regular-opening USO and going straight to Ollivander's in Diagon Alley, for a number of reasons:
  • I've heard a lot about how much roomier the Diagon's location is than the Hogsmeade one, and the line might be more manageable?
  • We're devoting our first full day to Wizarding World, and for narrative purposes it makes sense to follow Harry's journey: start in Muggle London, move into Diagon Alley, buy a wand, and eventually ride the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade.
We are also thinking of doing the exact thing. I am wondering if everyone will have the same plan. I don't care about kids being picked for the experience, but hope the line will not be long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter