How is everyone planning their dining when not being sure what will be open when they go?

Farro

Argh.
We don't go until next April/May, so I've got some time, but normally I'd making dining reservations in the next month or so.
I think now it's 60 days out?

We are staying at Gran Destino, but we have no idea what restaurants will be open there.

Are you just planning with what's already open? Or if you are going later like me, are you planning on what could be open?

I feel like I need to do 2 plans, one with what is currently available and one with what we really want. :D

Yes, dining reservations are now 60 days prior. I think doing 2 plans is a good idea. We just have no idea what will change between now and then. We have a trip planned for December and I have a few things written down, but I realize I'm going to have to go with the flow a little bit and make some more concrete choices as we get closer to the 60 day mark.

On a positive note most restaurants don't immediately sell out so the urgency is somewhat decreased. We easily got Chef Mickeys and Be Our Guest, day of for example. It's much more go with the flow right now. But with 7-8 months before your trip make sure to keep your eyes out as policies seem to be changing nearly daily.

Thanks!

Let's face it, I love to plan so making two dining plans isn't exactly a hardship for me. :p

When you hit your 60 day mark, you can only book what is open so while it is nice to have a wish list, I would begin with what is currently open. I'm set for the beginning of November and have tweeked it as things have changed... got the holiday meal at H & V when I heard it opened. I'll be at Boardwalk and have heard rumblings that Flying Fish might open, so would jump on that if it did. But my ADR's are the places I could actually book.

I have trips booked in January and March but honestly am just going to do a wait & see about ADR's for then... a few regulars, I know, but hoping there may be more choices by then.

Happy planning... it is definitely a whole new world, isn't it?

I'm going in January - and staying at GDT - and my ADR date is not until Nov 7. I've made an outline of the days and parks (which other than the last day which I keep flip flopping on are made) with a slot for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. I know in most Breakfast cases it will be QS, though I'm waiting for confirmation that there will be a QS option at CSR. I know I'll hit Satu'li both of my AK days - whether it'll be lunch both days or I'll snack through and hit it just before park close for dinner will be determined. I've penciled in Topolino's and Chef Mickey's (I know no characters there as of now - and limited at Topolino's) for a couple of days that would fit in with park plans. I know what I want to get on Epcot day for dinner, and I know I want to plug in Boathouse one night. Assuming Toledo is open at GDT I want to plug that in one night.

Other than that, I'm just winging it - I might make a few other ADRs if I feel like it, otherwise I'll do QS or see what ADR (or now walk-up waitlist) I can get the day of). Never had a problem with doing it that way before. (Granted I'm solo and pretty flexible in terms of eating times so I'm not looking for a big party or in a "I MUST EAT AT X TIME" mindset.)

Last edited:
We don't go until next April/May, so I've got some time, but normally I'd making dining reservations in the next month or so.
I think now it's 60 days out?

We are staying at Gran Destino, but we have no idea what restaurants will be open there.

Are you just planning with what's already open? Or if you are going later like me, are you planning on what could be open?

I feel like I need to do 2 plans, one with what is currently available and one with what we really want. :D

We are not planners at all. We are very much, on Thursday "Hey, you want to head over to Orlando tomorrow for the weekend?" While the park reservation thing is hampering us a bit, we are LOVING the ease of dining. You can make reservations, but there is also the option in MDE app to be added to the walk up wait list, which can be anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. We walked straight into Canada on one trip, 5 minute wait for Germany on another. Whatever mood strikes, walk up has been available. By next Spring ... probably not as much freedom, but for now it has been WONDERFUL!

For now anyway, I think it's a bit different - from my experience anyway. I was up at 6:00 a.m. on my 60 day mark and couldn't get into most of the restaurants we wanted....and there are only two of us. Granted, we are going on Thanksgiving for five nights, but still. Checking My Disney Experience multiple times a day hoping others move their plans around and/or more reservations are added.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter