how interfering were your parents in your teenage years?

Overall we were pretty much left alone, but I think we all knew what was expected and what was OK and what wasn’t. So there wasn’t a need for a lot of parental interference.

Zero really - father could have cared less waiting for us to turn 18 so he could be done - my mother passed a month after I turned 17 but was sick before that so wasn’t involved either for the most part
Had a curfew and knew to be home by then otherwise I was good to go !
Needless to say I didn’t raise my kids this way !

Interfering enough that they destroyed my friendship with my best friend for 3 years. I had no clue why she dropped me until 3 years later when we attended a party fir a mutual friend.

They only interfered when I made a horrendous mistake at 15-16, and after that it took a looooong time for them to trust me enough to not micromanage my life.

I like to joke that my mom was a helicopter parent before it was considered "in". My dad was a bit more hands off. As a bit of an introvert, I found the helicopter nature to be extremely offputting.

The only reason my mother had children I think was to have other beings to control Vastly interfering. Still is. Been dealing with her for 50 years. Ruined a marriage. Ruined the entire family and extended family dynamics. I was massively culture shocked when I got married as my then wife had a huge family and was all together. I have no family whatsoever.

Not a bit. They were very hands-on, as in, interested in what I was doing and willing to offer advice/assistance whenever needed. But they encouraged me to follow my own path and make my own decisions. And when those decisions went awry, they were always there to help me pick up the pieces and move on.

not at all- I pretty much came and went as I pleased- I always had paper routes, lawn cutting and babysitting money from the time I was 10 so I really had my own money to go out and do things with. At 10/11 I would go to the diner with a friend and eat (poor waitress cause my parents never taught me about tipping!). Jr High we would take a local bus to the mall and hang out there every weekend.

not at all- I pretty much came and went as I pleased- I always had paper routes, lawn cutting and babysitting money from the time I was 10 so I really had my own money to go out and do things with. At 10/11 I would go to the diner with a friend and eat (poor waitress cause my parents never taught me about tipping!). Jr High we would take a local bus to the mall and hang out there every weekend.
I was the same way, except that my parents did teach me about tipping. They also taught me street smarts. One time when I was 11, my friend's mom dropped us off at the dollar movie theater. She said she would be about an hour late picking us up after the movie. Well, it was one of those places with two screens that closed as soon as the movies ended, so we couldn't wait inside. And two girls had been kidnapped and raped in the parking lot just a week earlier, so I really didn't want to wait outside. There was a decent restaurant just the other side of the parking lot, and I had money, so after the movie I bought my friend dinner. No cell phones then, so we couldn't get hold of her mom, but we watched the clock and came out of the restaurant 15 minutes before the time she had given us for pickup.

Her mother flipped out! She had gotten to the theater 30 minutes ahead of schedule and was SO mad that we weren't sitting in the parking lot. We tried to explain, but she wasn't having it. She was screaming and yelling all the way to my house, and when she dropped me off she marched up to the door and started screaming at my mom about how horrible and irresponsible I was. My mom asked me what happened and I told her where we went and why. My mom just laughed in her face and said she ought to be thanking me for not only buying her kid dinner but also keeping her safe from a possible rapist. I was never so thankful for my parents as I was that day!

The only reason my mother had children I think was to have other beings to control Vastly interfering. Still is. Been dealing with her for 50 years. Ruined a marriage. Ruined the entire family and extended family dynamics. I was massively culture shocked when I got married as my then wife had a huge family and was all together. I have no family whatsoever.

Your mother sounds just like my mother-in-law 🙁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter