How inconvenient is offsite - really?

I would stay onsite if the kids are stroller age. Any other time the amount of money you save on a per day basis allows you to stay longer and stretch out the amount of time. You will save so much time never mind money by not eating in restaurants 3 meals a day. Breakfast in your room, while your still in PJs, no trucking back to the hotel room for bathroom use, A snack for mid-morning at the parks then while everyone is having lunch take advantage of decreased lines. A nice of site lunch or a pool break, each kid has thier own bed for a nap. Dinner then the parks at nite. Even kids can get too much disney sensory overload. The extra TV and bathroom in the off site resort will be very welcome to the adults. I hat riding buses with 50 kids- adults- strollers- backpacks etc. The time it takes me to get in my car from Indian Ridge to the TTC is no greater than the time it takes to leave from the onsite hotel room. (non monorail resorts)

Hy

My family & I have stayed both on-site and off. On-site is nice because you are immersed in Disney and you have the usage of Disney transportation if you so choose to use it. But, the prices can be high and the space you get is not all that big.

Off-site, you can get a much larger place to stay, with just as many, if not more amenities for a much lower price. Yes, you do have to drive to the parks and pay for parking at the parks, but depending on your savings by staying off-site, it may make up for the parking costs.

This is something you have to research and weigh the benefits of each option.

Personally, I don't find it that inconvenient staying off-site and I enjoy having a larger, more home-like place to stay. I have never cared all that much for the Disney buses, so we usually drive to the parks, even when we are staying onsite (we usually only stay value or moderate if on-site).

I have Boardwalk Inn booked for our trip in May. I did a quote with Vacation Strategy for WBC and it's $716 total including taxes for 8 days in a 2 bedroom suite! I'm rethinking staying on site thanks to this thread.

Our April trip will be our first and I decided on WBC. Well, the price made the decision for me. Like you, I'd have no use for EMH, and I don't care much for buses. And I like the idea of being able to get groceries and cook in our room if we want to.

I made all those same ADRs, and more. I know MK can be a PITA to get to offsite so I'm thinking about valeting at the Contemporary and walking over. Not much more money anyway.

I do worry a little about A&E. I know my daughter will want to meet them (her name is Elsa for goodness sake!) and I figure they'll probably still be next to impossible to get in March. But even on-site people are having trouble. If I have to, I can stalk.

Op, glad u were able to make your decision. Personally, staying onsite is a MAGICAL WORLD of difference. From the moment you step on property, you are immersed in Disney. Pofq is a beautiful resort, with one bus stop that is convenient and simple. We loved the resort and recently returned. I think "how" you decided was probably the best way, and agree, you won't regret it for a moment.
What you will regret.......that after you experience the Magic, that you waited so long to make all the memories. Enjoy!! Pixie dust ur way.

To us, very inconvenient! We love to catch Disney transportation and not drive anywhere. Unlike some, have never disliked the buses, or other forms of transportation - all part of the Disney experience and we love it!

POFQ is our favorite resort!

To us, very inconvenient! We love to catch Disney transportation and not drive anywhere.

I think this really highlights that there is no "right" answer to onsite vs. offsite. It very much depends on your own personal preferences.

Some people don't want to have to drive while at Disney. Others can't stand taking buses.

Some don't want to cook their own meals. Others can't stand eating out 3 meals a day.

Some want a maid to come in and clean and make the beds every day. Others hate having a stranger come in and touch their stuff.

Some want to be surrounded by Disney 24/7. Others want an escape from the Disney bubble at the end of the day.

Both groups are "right" because it is what they prefer. The great thing about traveling to Disney World is that there are endless options with something to fit everyone's preferences.

I think this really highlights that there is no "right" answer to onsite vs. offsite. It very much depends on your own personal preferences.

Agreed ::yes:: .

For us, the inconvenience of having everyone sharing one bathroom far exceeds the inconvenience of driving to the parks.

Or the inconvenience of having everyone have to go to bed at the same time in the same room.

Or having to drag your laundry to a central laundry room versus tossing a load into the washer in your villa.

I am opposite almost everyone on the planet, apparently, in that I will ONLY stay onsite at Disneyland. The benefit of being able to load the kids in the stroller in my hotel room, walk less than half a mile and be inside a theme park is worth the $300+ a night to me.

For Disney WORLD, I can't justify staying at POP Century, as fun as it is, for more money than WBC. When my kids are little, the time they can be in the park before they are overstimulated is very valuable. I HATE either waiting until they start to melt down and then having a 45 minute journey until we get to our room (in which the small meltdown turned into a tantrum at least once) or leaving 45 minutes before they're melting down to get to the resort room. Yuck.

I know I could pay more money and stay at Poly, Grand, or Contemporary, but the budget hasn't yet allowed for that!

There certainly isn't a single universal answer that is right for everyone.

However, no one will know what is right for them until they try it both ways, and try it with an open mind. Too often, someone posts that "offsite is the best way" (or on) without even having tried onsite (or off). Until you can really see the differences for yourself, you won't know how you react to driving, etc.

It's also worth noting that a lot of "differences" people point to aren't necessarily different. For example, the "I do (or don't) want to cook on vacation" has nothing to do with staying onsite or off. If you want to have access to cooking facilities, you can do that either onsite or off. Onsite, kitchen options include DVC Villas or a Ft. Wilderness cabin. Never want to leave the "Disney bubble?" You can do that in a Disney-owned resort, or in several non-Disney resorts, including the Swolphin, any of the Bonnet Creek resorts (Wyndham, Hilton, Waldorf Astoria) or the Four Seasons. Want daily maid service? Onsite isn't the only way to get that---plenty of non-Disney properties will include that in their nightly rate. Likewise, offsite isn't the only way to keep people from touching your stuff---DVC units give you only one trash & towel service in a week-long stay.

Indeed, we've found that our vacations onsite and off are much more similar than they are different.

I am opposite almost everyone on the planet, apparently, in that I will ONLY stay onsite at Disneyland. The benefit of being able to load the kids in the stroller in my hotel room, walk less than half a mile and be inside a theme park is worth the $300+ a night to me.
There are a half-dozen hotels only a few steps farther than the Grand Californian (and closer than DLH/PPH) that cost maybe half that, or less.

We do both on and off site, depending on the trip. However, the value of offsite is luring us away more and more. Having a large condo or town home costs far less cost than a tiny Disney hotel room. With careful shopping a rental car can cost $150/week or less. We have Annual Passes which include "free" parking at the parks. Add in some off-site meals and a few meals in the condo, and the cost of the trip can become a fraction of an all-Disney stay. This allows us to take more trips. We will be back to the World in 2 weeks for 10 days, our fourth trip in the past 12 months!

I love staying offsite now. I have 4 kids at the moment. The simple fact that get more one TV alone. Is worth it wait in gold. I love the I get drive my own car back hotel or condo. My kids like IOA and US more than WDW at the moment. Plus I have plenty of restaurant choices. Making ADR is crazy at 180 days out.

My kids have fell in love with the Druey Inn and Suites where staying at the moment.

Agreed ::yes:: .

For us, the inconvenience of having everyone sharing one bathroom far exceeds the inconvenience of driving to the parks.

Or the inconvenience of having everyone have to go to bed at the same time in the same room.

Or having to drag your laundry to a central laundry room versus tossing a load into the washer in your villa.
And for us, one bathroom isn't a big deal. But there are only three of us and I am the only woman.

And home or away, 90% of the time, we all head to bed at about the same time. But again there are only 3 of us. My husband, me and our adult(19) son.

And I never do laundry on vacation. I mean, I am on vacation.

We love the full immersion of being onsite.

So onsite is perfect for our family. While offsite is great for yours. :cool1:

But there are only three of us and I am the only woman.
In my family, the two men are the guilty parties when it comes to hogging the bathroom. We're doing a "boys' week away" in a 1BR at OKW this spring break, and it will be a struggle!

Making ADR is crazy at 180 days out.
We've noticed that "last minute" ADRs (as in, day before or morning of) are a lot easier to come by now that there is a no-show penalty. For example, we booked our Candlelight meal several months in advance, but there were plenty of openings at good times a day or two before the show.

We've noticed that "last minute" ADRs (as in, day before or morning of) are a lot easier to come by now that there is a no-show penalty. For example, we booked our Candlelight meal several months in advance, but there were plenty of openings at good times a day or two before the show.
I agree. It has stopped people from having multiple reservations for the same meal, then showing up for only one.

Sad that Disney had to do it, but it has opened up the field for reservations.

I've only been to Disneyland once but we stayed right across the street on Harbor Blvd and it was great. Also only about a half-mile into the parks. Took us no more than 10 minutes to be in the gate.

It is possible to secure DVC stays quite affordably, but that depends on some inefficiencies in the way timeshares work, and requires both patience and planning.

Perhaps. But I have yet to find a 2 bedroom, 2 bath Disney resort villa for anywhere near what we pay at SVR. The one bedroom villas can sometimes come close in certain seasons, but never the two bedroom.

Of course, you make a good point on the patience and planning. I admittedly don't have the patience to devote hours to finding affordably priced Disney resort accommodations. I don't find delight in that pursuit like many folks do. Booking our timeshare is easy (and convenient, lol!)....which is right up my alley :) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter