• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How immersed in WDW are you? And How did you get here?

I started with taking 5 trips to disneyland Paris between 2003 and 2008, 3 of which were with my dbf, now dh. In 2009 when I finished university he decided to upgrade us to wdw for a 2 week holiday...and that was it for us, dlp doesn't come anywhere close to wdw. We visited again in 2011, then again in 2012, when dh proposed in front of the castle. Every trip has been magical for us and I we've been in love with it from the first trip! I even applied for the cultural representative program to try and work at epcot but unfortunately didn't get further than the phone interview. Unfortunately we haven't been back since 2012 as we live in the UK so a 2 week vacation, even staying at a value, is mega bucks but we would definitely have squeezed in a couple more visits if we could. We're booked to go back to wdw in September 2018 and I'm already annoying dh with restaurant suggestions :rotfl:

For me, I went twice as a child. Once my Dad brought us, and it was great and all, but he wasn't the most organized and we kept is very simple, staying off site at a Days Inn. This was at MK's 15th anniversary, and I still remember the parade song. Still, I wasn't bitten by the bug at that time, nor was I in any position to go back. My Mom had always wanted to take us as well (a point of contention between them). Eventually she did, She and my Stepdad brought my Sister and I when we were a bit older (still teenagers). Now, she did it up right (as in all things). We stayed at Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside). We had park hoppers, did the water park (Typhoon Lagoon), did Universal. It was pretty great overall. When I remember WDW, that's the trip I remember most.

Anyway, it wasn't until many years later that I had an epiphany. I was an adult with a decent job. I could take my own vacations. Where did I want to go? Well, a friend and I were talking, and hey, why not, let's hit Disney and Universal too. So we go. Now, I had memories, some vivid, some vague. We stayed at POR (and I felt it as we went in there. It was...special. It was in the air and all around. This was going to be worthwhile, I knew. After a fitful night's sleep, we hit MK first thing in the morning. It was SO BEAUTIFUL looking, something I maybe didn't realize as a kid. We waited to enter, and I didn't even know my life was about to change. Then it happened. Magic Kingdom Welcome Show. It was jopyful, and tha'ts when I was bitten. Disney Fever. It's incurable. Anyway, we had just the BEST time for 7 full Disney days then a few at Universal too (which I do like, but not as much as Disney). Not long after, I started asking my friend, "Have you ever thought about going to DisneyLAND?" So we went. It was good. It was all so very, very good. Now I go a couple of times a year, to one park or another. I want to do them all. Disney has permeated my life now, and, hey, I'm all the better for it.

It's kind of a long story but I'll try to keep it short. Grew up with Disney movies/books/records and finally got to see DLR in the summer of '65. FF 12 years and DW & I move to Miami, a reasonable drive for a weekend getaway. I didn't want to go for fear that it would be a cheap knockoff of DLR. OK so I was wrong in a big way.:) We kept going even when we moved out of Florida and when our DDs came along we tried to go as often as we could. We eventually became DVC members and now go a couple of times per year, taking our DGDs along on one of the trips.

We are very immersed in Disney with a library of movies, music, books and various Disney artifacts around our house. It's definitely a lifestyle for us. :earsboy:

I went to MK several times as a kid in the 70's. I loved HM, IASW, and SM, but I hated the lines (we only went over Christmas or spring break) and I loathed those E-ticket booklets. :crazy2:

I didn't go back til 2010. I just wanted to get away somewhere with my husband and kids cause we never travelled anywhere. I picked Disney for no particular reason and we stayed onsite at Music for a week. I was hooked. We all got hooked!

Now we go 2-3 times per year. We've had AP's for the past four years. I'm addicted.

I'm immersed when planning a trip (like now). Otherwise I don't really think about Disney very much, unless a movie I want to see.

I'm here thanks to my wonderful parents taking us there 3 times as children in the early 80's.

My dad took us in '95 for a once in a lifetime trip and we never got the chance to go back. even though i was only 5, i remembered some magical moments that have stuck with me. Add growing up watching Disney 24/7 to the obsession.

Fast forward to Jan '16 when i found $15 flights to Orlando. i instantly thought DISNEY WORLD :cool1:.

With my parents and siblings in tow, we rediscovered the magic. went back 10 separate times since then! my father is no longer with us, so it reminds me of him a lot. I got diagnosed with MS last year and have had some near death experiences, Disney makes all of that garbage do away:cloud9:

I never went to WDW as a kid and, until 2 years ago, had limited experience with any theme parks. I started taking my then 7 year old to Universal since I thought she would hate Disney (she loves thrill rides - the scarier the better - and she has always disliked all things princess...:rolleyes2). While Universal was a hit with my DD (she even liked Halloween Horror nights!) we decided to try Disney by attending a MNNSHP (she also likes chocolate!). Turns out we had the best time ever! Went home, bought annual passes and went back for another week-long visit in December - we were hooked.

Haven't been to Universal in almost 2 years and we have now renewed our Disney annual passes and purchased DVC! Our home resort is AKL, which we love. I still remember our first AKL visit -I had to drag DD and DH there (wanted more time in the parks) but I told them we might actually see a giraffe so they decided to humor me :rolleyes:. We walked out to the general outlook point and were greeted with so many animals we couldn't even believe it - totally magical :cloud9:. We knew then and there that this was the resort for us. Purchased a resale contract a few weeks later.

We travel to Disney about 5 times per year (we are a 4 hour car drive away) and look forward to each visit. For me, it is a great escape from work and allows me to spend quality time with my family. So many great memories. My DD has now informed me that we need to spend 21 days at Disney when she turns 21. I'm all in!!

My parents love Disney & honeymooned at WDW, so I guess I never had a chance!

My first trip to WDW was when I was 4. I still have a few vivid memories of that trip... the first time I saw Cinderella at breakfast in the castle, marching with the drum major in the parade, and playing on the beach with my new stuffed Dumbo. princess:

We went to WDW quite a lot when I was a child. We also did a cruise on the Disney Magic when I was 6-7 & did Disneyland when I was about 10. I remember thinking that Disneyland was nice, but it couldn't compare to my beloved WDW. Now, of course, I appreciate all the history that Disneyland has and can't wait to get back out there at some point.

When I studied abroad in Japan a few years ago, the #1 thing on my list was Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea. I could probably blame that on the fact that I knew almost nothing else about Japan at the time, but even now, those are "can't miss" parks for me whenever I'm in the country... so, I think a more likely explanation is that I just love Disney. :)

And, earlier this year, I got engaged at Disneyland Paris. :lovestruc

So, to answer the question of "how immersed are you" - QUITE! :lmao:

I went to WDW twice as a hold but wasn't really bitten by the bug. DH and I decided to take our daughter when she was 2, figuring we'd go back sometime when she was older. Well, we've been back three more times since, plus one DL trip, and we have two more WDW trips in the hopper! Buying APs this year, so we'll see where that leads us!

Oh, and my parents also honeymooned at WDW. I used to think that was weird - now I get it!!

My parents brought me to WDW for the first time when I was 1. Then we went when I was six, and again when I was twelve. Fast forward to last year, DH and I brought our daughter for the first time (she was 5.) I've always loved all things Disney and couldn't wait to finally experience it with my own family. We spent a week staying on site and loved it, we are all officially obsessed. We're going to FL this year end of October/beginning of November, but we're only doing on day of Disney for MNSSHP on Halloween night. I'm hoping we can go again in 2 or 3 years, just in time for the new lands at HS! I'd love to visit the other Disney parks one day too, but for now wdw has my heart.

I was four years old and spent Christmas at Disney World. I remember being in an umbrella stroller and watching a parade while holding a bag of candy shaped like a candy cane. One day I'd love to be able to spend Christmas there again but the crowds make me run the other way.

I'm pretty immersed and so are my children. They like Universal but they go nuts over that Mouse.

I went when I was 13 with family, again at age 18 for a high school trip. Right after I finished college, my dad won a trip and we got to stay at the Grand Floridian - it was fun and pretty, but the "magic" passed me by as a young, single (and broke) adult!

In 2011, almost 20 years later, my husband had a ton of Starwood points and there was a promotion for "preferred" members for 4 free nights anywhere in the continental US. We tried to book Napa Valley as a couples trip, but there were no rooms at all for the dates. So, we decided to take the "obligatory Disney trip" since our sons were 7 & 4. I'm an introvert and am not crazy about crowds - but we all loved it and couldn't wait to return! Since then, we've been to WDW in 2014 and just this past April - we're at the point where we want to return more than once every 3 years.

I'm obsessed with Florida in general. I can't wait to retire to Naples and be able to hop up to WDW for a weekend - several times a year!

My first trip was when I was 5 in November 1999 at the Wilderness Lodge. I was obsessed with everything Disney and when I was 4.5, I almost died from a life changing sickness that I am still dealing with (now 22.5). I went back to Walt Disney World when I was 10, 20 and just got back from a trip to Disneyland. Until recently, I never realized how Disney/the parks have made me so happy and I am now so genuinly obsessed with it. Looking back, I now realized the trip when I was 5 was a trip to celebrating me...well not dying. Like every one else here, I just think about going back ASAP, either to WDW or DLR. The parks and everything about the parks really just bring a smile to my face and make me remember that there is happiness in the world, not just sadness and stress. As I get older, I will definitely save to go more often, hopefully every 2-3 years and maybe even more!

My first trip was 1981. I was nine. We stayed at the Contemporary for three nights and I remember the Magic to this day. I was blown away by it all--the hotel, the Monorail, character meals, everything at the MK. I specifically remember being highly impressed by the bathroom in floor heating.

I went again at 16 with my sister after working the whole summer. That hooked me. Like a previous poster, I spent spring breaks during university at Disney instead of Cancun.

In 1999, I had launched my career and took my first week long trip. Stayed at POFQ.

After that there was a break of many years. In 2007, we took our daughter, who was three. DVC came in 2008. Now I spend at least 40 days a year at WDW. Sometimes more. I live and breathe Disney. It brings me so much pleasure, both while I'm there and when I'm home thinking about it.

Just booked a last minute, three night stay for August. Mother daughter trip at the Poly for the first time. Very excited. Going for 12 nights in October and 17 nights in January.

My kids have grown up there. It's as much home as our house. We are completely comfortable there.

I love reading these!!

My first trip to WDW was in 1985 and I was 7 years old. The trips that turned me into a Disney fanatic though were the years I was there as a teenager. We went every year from middle school until I graduated high school. It would be my parents, myself, and my cousin (1 year younger than me and like my sister). My cousin and I would count down the days until the next trip. We just laughed so much on those trips. We appreciated being in a magical place where we could just feel like kids. I didn't go for a long time after I finished high school. I was in college and then graduate school. I traveled to a lot of other cool places and took fun vacations, but I had a long break from Disney. However, the day my 1st son was born I said to my husband "I can't wait til he is big enough for Disney." My cousin brought a stuffed Mickey to the hospital for him when he was born. When he was 5 and his younger brother was 3 in 2014, we ventured to WDW with my parents all together for the 1st time in 19 years. We've gone 3 times to WDW since and once to DL. I'm obsessed. My youngest son is obsessed. My cousin is going for her honeymoon in Nov. We just love it. It's like our home and a huge part of my childhood.

Short and sweetly I'll say this: DH and I went for the first for both of us on our honeymoon August 2016. We went again May 2017. We live in So Cal and are frequently at Disneyland. We have already purchased DVC and anticipate trips every year or every other year. WDW has won our hearts, though it won't prevent us from exploring the rest of the world as well.

I just wanted to also say thank you for starting this thread and thanks to all who responded. It warmed my heart and was a welcome relief from the multitude of "Disney-bashing" threads. While I understand the desire to rant every now and then, its threads like these that make my heart full and reminds me how glad I am that this world of Disney exists for us children of all ages. I hope you all are doing well.

Never got to go as a child. Money was tight growing up and my father had some serious undiagnosed PTSD issues as a Vietnam Veteran. Every other year, my best friend went with her family and stayed at either FW or Dixie Landings (POR), and would return with pictures and stories of delightful encounters with Mickey & friends while humming "It's a Small World" incessantly. I wanted to go so badly.

DH (whom I didn't meet until college) went 3 times over the course of his childhood. When we married, he promised me we would go. 12 years later, when we could afford it, off we went! I probably acted as if I were 7 the whole time. DH does too, and that's a big part of the involvement for me. He has a stressful job and coaches high school football in addition. In real life, he is responsible and pretty straightlaced, but at WDW, he's a kid too. Our DD has been a fan since she popped out, lol. DS was standoffish as a teen, but now, I think he's fond. He enjoys the rides and shows, but also loves the area as he's an avid golfer.

DH talks about retiring down there, and we may. For now, we recently purchased DVC with intentions of enjoying WDW/DL/etc as empty-nesters, then being able to take future 'whole family' trips when our children have families of their own. We do a lot of planning and stay up on Disney news. We love the films and music, so it's a fair amount of what we choose in entertainment as well. And there's always a countdown to our next trip!!

I love all these stories!!

I wish I remembered more about visiting when I was younger. I know I went several times as a child. My first time was when I was 7 and my parents took me as a birthday present. We went several other times, the last time being when I was 13...once we went during the week after Christmas and I remember we were all freezing and people were camping out in the gift shops to stay warm and wrapped in blankets outside....Disney sold out of sweatshirts and we didn't know to pack for the cold...it was Florida after all and we didn't have the internet to tell us the weather :).

My real love story with Disney began in 2010 when I started dating my now DH. He went to Disney EVERY YEAR as a kid. I was well traveled as a child but going to DISNEY every year? I was jealous, so we scheduled a trip together. We didn't have any ADR's or plans (had no idea we needed any), it was the week after labor day and it magical. Crowds were low, and although the temps were insane, we loved every minute of it. There was bliss in not knowing any better that we needed plans and just going with the flow. After dating for some time, I had my heart set on getting engaged at Cinderella's Castle and to speed things up I requested a trip to Disney for my birthday that year (hey, a girl wants what she wants :D). As you can tell from my avatar, I got my wish when we went in 2012, and we have been back to Disney every year since. It already was the happiest, most magical place on Earth, but now its the place were our love story with each other, as well as with Disney, truly began :love:.

I never went as a kid.

Then I went as an adult with my little kids. It was magical for me and watching them and we got hooked

I'm starting to lose the interest now. Probably a combo of my kids' ages and maybe going too often

Went once when I was 16 with my parents, brother and Grandparents, who were Disney World lovers and lived in Florida at the time. I remember loving Epcot and the World Showcase specifically, but wasn't really obsessed. Fast forward to my little family 12 years later. DH had always wanted to go but only his mother had been and money had been tight for them. We planned a fabulous trip with our then 6 and 8 year old kids in 2003. We thought this is the trip of a lifetime and we wanted to do it right. I knew how big and fun it was, DH was thinking more along the lines of Six Flags. I knew he was in for a big surprise and I was right. He was in awe of all there was to do there. So much fun, food and the full immersion of being on property sucked us in and we were hooked.

We have since been back nearly every year and sometimes twice. Last year we took our college kids in March and then went just the two of us in July. We are now at 24 days until our next DH and I only trip and we are just as excited as we were the first time we went. It gets us every time!

We do talk about retiring and spending a few months in Florida out of the year, maybe becoming seasonal CM's just for fun.

Our kids are just as hooked and both want to plan at least their Honeymoons there when they get married in the next few years.

We also are planning a trip to Disneyland for possibly next Spring. It's somewhere our son wants to go and we are curious as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter