How HOT does it get in August?

I'm going with the masses on this one...it's freaking hot. As in "hotter than H E double hockey sticks" hot.

And crowded.

So what you have is a park chock full of slow moving guests (because there's no choice but to move slow or get heat stroke) which means it's not, IMHO, any fun to tour.

We'll avoid it like the plague for the rest of our lives.

UGH- I am hating this thread. We are planning on a 12 night trip next Aug. I have never been in July or Aug- but I have gone late June. It was hot and crowded-
But I was figuring a nice long trip with several days dedicated to water parks, pool days, and at least 1 day at DQ- Then have a few early am, -break in the afternoon, -go back at dinner park days.
I am stuck now that I don't want to take the kids out of
school (much:rolleyes1 ) and I don't want the high points/high crowds/high airfare of X-mas or Easter trips.
Am I crazy for planning an Aug. trip?

Am I crazy for planning an Aug. trip?

The fact is, only you can answer that question, and likely only after you've done it once.

I don't think the crowds (this was early August, FYI) were much less than those in late June....but the heat was MUCH worse, IMHO, and everyone was moving MUCH slower, which made it feel even MORE crowded to me. We still had a great time, FYI, it was just a LOT more "work" than it is during the cooler and less crowded times (late September/early October, January, etc).

But I know others who SWEAR by going in late July and early August. The heat doesn't get to them and they do pretty much what you're describing as wanting to do.

I'm sure it will be my 1st and last Aug visit....
I'm hoping for the best....

It's the same for us -- I booked a trip for August because our kids don't get out of school until late June, we already have camping and church activities scheduled for July and I don't want to take them out of school in the fall. So that pretty much leaves August. I have a horrible feeling we will not tolerate this well as we're from the Pacific Northwest and our summers are very mild. I'm just hoping the kids will be good sports about it and not make DH and I miserable by complaining about the heat the whole time.

On the plus side: we will be forced to slow down, will probably have more pool/water park time than ever before, and won't eat as much on the DDP!

Hot enough that our Boston clan decided to try the end of October this year. It was sweltering last year, we went around August 19th.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I don't want to say it's hot... but I did hear of a group of folks with tails, horns, and pitchforks mopping their sweaty brows and complaining about the heat.

Good luck!

Yup! August is Hot!

You can still have a great trip with proper planning! We went two years ago with a 6 month old (still nursing) and we still did fine. We arrived at the park before opening, took plenty of breaks in air conditioned attractions and gift shops. We planned a sit down meal each day at LUNCH, so we knew there would be a cool place to escape to! We swam each afternoon and took short naps. Oh....mister fans are great as well. As far as hydration goes, don't forget that you can get FREE cups of icewater at the places that sell fountain drinks. If you don't like the taste, just add koolaid or crystal light!

Good luck!

You want to know how HOT it is here in Florida in August...every year some news crew shows someone frying an egg on the sidewalks...here in Florida not only could you fry eggs, you could fry the bacon, make the toast and boil the water for coffee on the sidewalks.

You also need to remember about the refractive light off the concrete walkways, it's called the Disney Rash but it's were your legs actually get burnt from the heat radiating back up from the walkways.

Yet I'll be there this August because friends have their vacation time during this month.

The fact is, only you can answer that question, and likely only after you've done it once.

I don't think the crowds (this was early August, FYI) were much less than those in late June....but the heat was MUCH worse, IMHO, and everyone was moving MUCH slower, which made it feel even MORE crowded to me. We still had a great time, FYI, it was just a LOT more "work" than it is during the cooler and less crowded times (late September/early October, January, etc).

But I know others who SWEAR by going in late July and early August. The heat doesn't get to them and they do pretty much what you're describing as wanting to do.

Agree 100%. For DW and I, we have no choice but either the summer or school holidays as she is a elementary school librarian. This year will be mid-July (have banked points that need to be used) and in future years it will be mid to late Aug (lower points).

The way I figure it is that it is just as hot up here, just not so many days in a row. Plus, we eat less when it is hot so we will save some money!! :laughing:

Our plan is to eat breakfast most mornings in the villa and spend the morning in the park. Then lunch at a TS in or close to the park. Then back to SSR for a swim and/or nap. Then dinner. After dinner activity will depend on mood of DS who will be 10 months old at time of trip.

-Matthew

We go quite often in late August due to scheduling problems. The hottest I can remember was 103 one afternoon in 2001. I went back to the room (BWV) and napped. Most of the time it's in the mid 80's to high 90's.

:scared: <--- That is my head sweating and looking scared knowing it is already 90+ degrees in the shade and it is only 8am.

:headache: <--- That is my head in August right before it explodes from the heat

:furious: <--- That is head exploding from spontaneous combustion because it is so hot.

:lmao:

LilGmom, your post reminds me of a joke from when I lived in Phoenix. To paraphrase it here: "it is so hot that the Devil lives in Orlando, but summers in he--."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter