How HOT does it get in August?

jcf

DIS Veteran
I haven't been there in August. How warm is it in the am and pm?

Is July hotter?

Thanks

Both July and August are sweltering. I was there last August (around the 20th) and it was so humid, that when I walked from the air conditioning to outside (Even at night), my glasses would fog up to the point that I could not see out of them. You have to constantly wipe your camera lense because of this. I was there on business, and vowed never to tour the parks this time of year. It really is hot and miserable IMHO.:scared:

unbearable. its really hot depends on what you loike though but is to much for us and the kid

It's awful in August, and the heavens have tendency to open up with biblical rains. But, when that's the only time you can go . . . ya gotta suffer. :rolleyes:

We come from hot and humid summers in Ohio and yes, it is unbearably hot in Orlando, but with a little planning you can manage. 1) Go really early to the parks. 2) Plan lunch in an indoor, air conditioned restaturant. 3) Duck in and out of air conditioned attractions. 4) Head home to your resort in the sweltering afternoon hours for a swim or a nap.
The worst part of summer weather for me is the thunderstorm. Even though they do not last all that long, they roll in daily and can ruin specific plans if you have them or hold you up from your "march" through the parks.
Bottom line - we have only travelled in the summer months (due to school schedule) and loved every trip we have taken. It all depends on your family's
tolerance level.

HTH

Ellen

HOT, HOT and HOT. I cannot stand heat and humidity, but we usually go every August, due to school schedules. We plan ahead and as was mentioned, go early to parks, rest in the afternoon and head back around dinner time and hit the parks that are open later. Drink a lot of water, bring small portable fans, preferably with the misters built in and go into ac buildings when we get over heated! Wear hats or bandanas and bring a small face cloth to wipe the sweat off your face! It is hard, but we always manage, especially since it's Disney!:beach: :figment:

I live in Florida about 80 miles north of Disney, August is the hottttttest month in Florida. The weather people are saying this summer will be hotter then usual, for what it cost to do Disney I would find a cooler place.

July and August are our two hottest months. Our average high in August is 92 and the low 73. This is steady for the entire month. It is also our third wettest month with 6.25 inches of rainfall.

We saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking. ;)

Think similar to the surface of the sun... but with that said we will be there this year for the first week in August. We are staying mostly at VB but will be in the parks at least one day. Buy plenty of bottled water to take with you into the parks. Taste much better than the tap water and much less expensive then buying at the parks.

We were there last August and it's hot, hot, hot. We usually go in summer because of school schedules - last summer I went 6 1/2 mo. pregnant - it was miserable. And I LOVE being there, but should've thought more about being hot, sweaty and pregnant. LOL That being said, we spent a few afternoons floating in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon - it was really fun!

How hot it feels will depend on where you are from. We had a very hot summer in Michigan, so it didn't feel that much different to me. I think that Florida in the summer is magical. Beware that some resturants keep it very cold, so I always keep a light sweater with me if we are eating at a table service place.

Wicked hot. :laughing:

But we found that getting wet and walking around sopping wet all day worked really well for all of us.

We did occasionally turn into instant popsicles when we were inside (like for Ellen's Energy Adventure-try to be dry for that one, it's 40+ minutes of intense A/C), but being wet really kept us comfortable. And big wide brimmed hats are a must-it'll keep your brain from feeling like it's going to explode from the sun.

We actually don't mind august at all, I just remember to never pack my white t-shirts! THAT's a Favorite Disney Memory-for my husband...

We actually don't mind august at all, I just remember to never pack my white t-shirts! THAT's a Favorite Disney Memory-for my husband...

LOL - sounds like my hubby, too!

Having lived in Orlando - we used to sync our watches based on the 1 pm T-storms that last for about 30 min and then disappear. After I think is worse than before in terms of humidity.

That being said - it chases a lot of people out of the parks!

I think in August - the key is SLOW and STEADY. Hard core Disney touring plans do not work well (you know the kind where they RUSH or RACE from attraction to attraction just to say they saw it ALL!) You need to take frequent breaks and stay HYDRATED (which means more bathroom trips, too).

Somehow, to me anyway, the summer nights just seem more magical. I guess its because we are in summer mode, on vacation at Disney, with longer daylight. I just love it! AND I get more souvie space in my luggage because I don't have to pack a bunch of "in case it gets cool" clothes! :rotfl: :laughing:

I think it really just depends on what you are used to during these months (not that anyone can really be comfortable in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity) . Why do you think most Southerners have that twangy drawl in their speech? Because its too damn hot to think, your lips don't work right in the summer months! :)

We live in SC and the weather is pretty much the same: unbearable heat and humidity, daily thunderstorms and the occasional hail storm. You learn to slow down your pace, take indoor breaks and drink plenty of fluids. Mid-day is the worst (noon to five) so planning a pool-side jaunt or water park during this time is always a refreshing reprieve. All that heat builds up to the usual late afternoon thunderstorm which can be a blessing or a curse. Sometimes it takes the humidity with it, sometimes it makes it worse.

I think a lot of people are forced to do Disney during these months due to school schedules, ourselves included. I think DVC allows us to take a slower pace at WDW since we know we will be back soon and don't have to do the commando raids anymore.

We will be one of the brave again this August, trying to stay cool the best we can. I haven't tried the frozen underwear trick yet but may break it out this go round ;)

We saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking. ;)

:lmao: :rotfl2:

Free Dining sucked me in this year....

I'm sure it will be my 1st and last Aug visit....
I'm hoping for the best....

Heck....I'm leavin in 1 week....I'm more worried about forest fires
than the heat in aug...and the lovebugs now:confused3
Kerri

It's darned hot but you can still enjoy yourself. Before we moved here, we would spend about three weeks in July-August at Old Key West and survived and enjoyed ourselves. It's not a time to go commando, but if you plan things like hitting the parks early--hitting attractions like the Country Bears occasionally to cool down, you'll be fine. We'd spend lots of time at pools. The parks are usually open very late which is great. Yes, it rains a lot but there's a pattern to it that you can pretty much plan around.
John

:scared: <--- That is my head sweating and looking scared knowing it is already 90+ degrees in the shade and it is only 8am.

:headache: <--- That is my head in August right before it explodes from the heat

:furious: <--- That is head exploding from spontaneous combustion because it is so hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter