• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How high is too much for you?

We are not priced out, but the increased cost over the years is definitely causing us to explore other vacations and go less often.

We are definitely in the "once in a lifetime, magical trip, saving 2-3 years to go" group, and yet, we're definitely not the "entitlement" type. Like, if my food is bad at a restaurant and they remake it for me, I want to be able to pay for my food. I won't say I never complain because if something is wrong, I want to give the establishment (whatever that might be) the opportunity to make it right, and if they do, that's good enough for me. I rarely expect, demand, or even request further compensation if the matter was resolved.

However, I do see your point. If I go to Applebee's and I have a horrible experience, I expect that it be made right, but my expectations of that restaurant were lower to begin with. If I go to a 5 star dining restaurant and have a horrible experience, my expectations are higher. In fact, what I might consider a "horrible experience" at that restaurant might be right on par with my expectations of Applebee's, but because it costs so much more and because it's a nicer establishment, I do expect more.

But again, I still like to believe that my expectations are reasonable and realistic, even in the higher-priced places. But I can see your point that not all people have reasonable and realistic expectations.

I by no means meant everyone. Just something I've noticed over the years is that with each price increase there are always some who say, "good. It will get rid of those with entitlement attitudes." I've also noticed each year, with higher prices, you hear more and more reports of guests with entitlement attitudes. It's kind of exactly what you said. McDonald's screws up something and you shrug your shoulders and move on. Expectations are related to cost. The harder it is for someone to afford it, the more that cost is to them anyhow. A very general observation only.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Absolutely still worth it to us. We're there so often that each visit probably costs us less than half the price of one movie ticket! We get tons of enjoyment out of our APs.

Since you're local, your experience is probably a bit different than those that have to drive/fly a long way to visit.

Seasonal increases got us this time. We normally stay at AKL. Last year, stayed at HRH and just visited WDW, but doing a split stay this time. We were looking at the prices for AKL 2013 and know they will be higher for Spring Break next year. Just booked SOG - we have been completely priced out of the room at AKL, I cannot justify it what might be over $600/night. Staying onsight at Universal the remainder of the week.

Just crazy prices. The ticket prices, not so much yet. I purchased ahead, 10 day park hoppers no expiration, and due to a vacation change, we now have around 19 apiece - that'll take us through a few years. Since I bought them before the increases, and 10 days, even with the no expiration option it was a better deal for us since we plan to keep on going.

I have heard rumors that they are doing away with no expiration though. It'll probably be a major sticker shock when I have to start buying them in a few years. Aahh - maybe I should just retire and go work at Disney.

Where they have definately priced out people is for the one day pass. We live overseas and Florida as a whole is a destination. I can see families driving into Orlando for a day thinking twice before forking over 400 for one day at Magic Kingdom. I remenber being in college on spring break and we drove inland to do MK for the day. I think i paid around 50$( early 90s) . Back then a lot . Cant see too many colege kids doing that today.

I think WDW is really focusing on selling itself as a destination for a week. I understand the concept of a weekly discount but a cost per day for a week/ 10'days vs a one day is insane. They realy are taking advantage of single day visitors.

I think WDW is really focusing on selling itself as a destination for a week. I understand the concept of a weekly discount but a cost per day for a week/ 10'days vs a one day is insane. They realy are taking advantage of single day visitors.

I think this is it, exactly. They want people who are going to go for a week or more. I'm not an economist, but where they make their money probably lies more in the resorts, the dining, and the souvenirs. A person visiting for one day isn't going to spend that much on those items, and thus, aren't really Disney's target group.

The closest park to me is Six Flags Great Adventure, which is 3 hours away. The last time we went the lines were ridiculous, the food was horrible and the employees were surly.

Even if the passes were comped, it still wouldn't be worth it.

And yes, that's *my* perspective.

:thumbsup2 It is 30 minutes from me, and I won't go near the place!

10-day MYW with the NE option is the next best way. That way you don't have to live close, and you still get a relative bargain on the per-day admission costs.

This is what we did last year. We bought 10 NE and used only 2 days. The remaining 8 days will last us at least 2 trips, probably 3. We plan to use 3 days plus the Christmas party this year, next time we go I am thinking 2 park days and visiting either Universal or Sea World.

It was ALOT to lay out up front, but in the long run I am saving a ton of $$, especially since my youngest DD's ticket is a child ticket and she becomes a Disney adult this year.

The rates go up every year at the beach resort we go to, grocery prices are increasing, I paid more for the new car I bought last year than it was the year before, I can't think of many things that the prices aren't rising, the government's published inflation index is not accurate. The industrial supply company I work for raises prices at least once a year and sometimes twice a year. I don't think Disney is out of line, expenses go up every year. But each person/family has to decide if it's a good value or not for them.

I think this is it, exactly. They want people who are going to go for a week or more. I'm not an economist, but where they make their money probably lies more in the resorts, the dining, and the souvenirs. A person visiting for one day isn't going to spend that much on those items, and thus, aren't really Disney's target group.

Yes. This is what I think too. Of course, we are already giving them half of our vacation with the 4 night cruise. Unfortunately, spending the other 4-5 nights with them might just be more than I'm willing to spend. :headache:

I suppose, as a relative WDW newcomer, I have a different outlook than some here. For me, last year's prices are the baseline. Based on that, the increases aren't particularly aggravating. I can see how they would be, though, for someone who's been a regular visitor over the years since I've seen some of the year-by-year cost comparisons. But, at least according to things I've read here, Disney focuses on the first-time visitor, for whom the prices are what they are. And for whom these ARE the good old days, to quote Carly Simon. :cool2:

I think that, in these days when people haven't had salary increases in years, price increases have a stronger impact on our perceptions of cost than they did 10 years ago. I know that my last raise was in late 2006, and when prices go up it means that something has to be trimmed. Disney? Not yet, since we don't intend to do it every year anyhow. Unless income starts to increase again, though, Disney is a very, very large chunk of money that's very simple to remove from the budget. Not easy -- just simple. But, like I said, not yet.

We used to go every 2 to 3 years while a couple were closer. In between we vacationed else where.

I don't foresee Disney pricing us out unless we take a cut in income. We have visited other amusement parks and I don't like the, as much as Disney. I don't like thrill rides and Disney gives me a lot to do. In the other parks I sit and wait for DH when he rides.

I don't find the Disney hotel prices for moderates to be outrageous. When DH and I visit DD at college in the western part of the state, hotel rooms range from $150 to $180 per night for an average hotel room. At Disney you get great theming and grounds.

I bought 10 day passes with no expiration a few years ago and only have one day left. We do however have 8 or 9 days of waterparks left. Our next trip will probably be spent at the waterparks and using the last day on our tickets. Then we'll probably check out Seaworld since we haven't been there in a few years. After that that will probably be it for us for awhile. We were trying to move to Fl. and get Resident passes but that plans not looking too good anymore. Being retired and on a fixed income we can no longer afford the prices. Maybe once every 5 years or so but not the annual and semi annual trips of years past. The economy is just too tough and Disney has become an extravagance we can no longer afford unfortunately.

I honestly think it's to deter people from doing things other than Disney while in Florida. They know that they've got stiff competition in the area. So if a 10 day ticket was as much as a 1 day ticket per day, people would spend maybe a day or two at WDW and another day at Universal Studios and another day at Sea World. But if they make their one day tickets undesirable, but keep 4+ day tickets somewhat reasonable, people won't be able to afford Disney AND the other places, so they will be less likely to go other places, thus spending all of their money at Disney.

We might be priced out of flying first. It's costing us $1800 to fly for 3 people! Totally crazy:scared1: But for Disney itself, we'll keep going, just maybe not every year though.

This is us... There are 4 if us and it cost us as much to fly to Disney as we spent on room/ticket package! So we are on the "every other year" plan w trips to the beach and other Stuff while saving during the in between years. I'm the Disney freak in my family. (As i write this my daughter is dancing around to Cinderella which is on in thbackground lol) DH likes it but not nearly as much as I do. It gets harder and harder to justify the cost, but I have to go at some point. I get sad when its been too long. hehehe but it is going to have to be even farther apart if the prices get to a certain point. what that point is I am not sure yet. I know it already takes us two years to save up for a one week stay at a value already so who knows...

Someone else mentioned being priced out of TS meals. Us too. We bring snacks and water and usually eat light in the parks during the day (maybe a hot dog or pretzel or whatever) and do a qs dinner. Maybe one TS meal a trip. last time it was 2 bc we went over Thanksgiving... And character meals? maybe when they are older & eat more. I can't see spending $50 for my two kids to eat a pancake when they can see the characters free in the park. I know DH and I don't eat $70 worth of food btwn the two of us. So I can't justify the cost. I've been before so I know we aren't missing much. Maybe if there was a show and then the characters came to your table but ... Meh...

Ultimately I love Disney and will continue to go with my family as long as we can afford it. It may be less frequently much to my shagrin, but I am not going to price myself out of being able to save for the kids' college bc I love Disney. So I guess that's my personal situation... :)

Hard to say....I think if they either limit FP to a low number per day or take away FP completely as rumored, along with the increase in ticket prices, might just make us cut way back on trips. We typically go 1-3 times a year - but we may opt out and go only one every 2-3 years. We've continued to go to Disney because our family enjoys it, it's relatively convenient for us, and frankly a trip to Disney is still cheaper than other family trips we've looked into (Bahamas, trip up the East Coast, Grand Canyon, etc.).

Tell me about it! My DD is now 10, weighs all of 60 pounds and can barely finish a McDonald's Happy Meal, yet She's a Disney dining adult LOL.

Pretty hard for me to swallow, too. We ate at Chef Mickey's where my son no longer wants photos with the characters and we paid the adult buffet price for him to eat mac n cheese, pizza, and a little bit of ice cream. My dd is 8 and we won't do buffet's any more when she hits the adult price.

I know I am dreaming but some places by us charge kids brunch buffets as age + 1 or 2 dollars up to a certain age.

I dislike the price increases, but to be honest I'm not price-sensitive at this point in my life. With small children, the convenience of WDW is hard to overstate. This spring, I spent a day with my kids at a nearby (non-disney) amusement park, and it was really difficult. All of the rides suitable for small kids were segregated into one tiny corner of the park, and there was nothing at all for me to do with my toddler while my 4yo was riding the rides she was allowed on. Not to mention, there were rides that he was allowed on (at 18 months), but no adult was allowed to ride with him (which clearly wasn't going to happen). We spent four hours at the park and it felt like 10.

Compare and contrast to WDW, where the attractions are largely family-friendly, there are relatively few height restrictions and most of the restricted attractions are located near some other amusement for smaller people. DS and DD2 played happily in the playground at Mission Space, for instance, while DH and I did rider swap with my oldest. It was just easy.

Once my youngest is 7 or 8, we'll be branching out to different vacations and exposing the kids to the wider world. But while they're small, WDW provides such an easy, happy, fun vacation that it'd have to get a fair bit more expensive before I'd stop going.

I agree anonomom... the parks are so well planned to facilitate an easier trip for us, and we're willing to pay extra for the convenience.

Amusement parks near us are not nearly as user friendly (for little ones), are a bit of a drive to get to ($30 in gas per trip), and don't have the cross marketing that my children relate to (they KNOW these characters, whereas the pro-league team's mascot is just a person in costume)... this gives them a sense of familiarity and excitement that brings us more value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter