How have the passenger numbers been lately?

If this is any help, we sailed right before the shutdown (3/6/2020 for 3 nights on the dream) and the ship was at 3300 or so they said. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves still. No waits for anything, plenty of space in the bars and around the ship. No wait for a lounge chair by the pool or for a hot tub. It was GREAT.

The only truly miserable sailing we've ever done was the week before April on the Fantasy back in '19. The ship was at max capacity and so many other guests were SO CRANKY and obnoxious.

We were also on this sailing. There was plenty of space in the bars. The one evening we walked into Meridian and there were only 3 people sitting at the bar. We did find lines for the Aqua Duck and we had some difficulty finding an open lounge chair at CC, but that is also because we were slow to get off the ship. We did not feel crowded like we did at the parks.

We are scheduled to sail on the Fantasy on 1/22, so I am checking this thread often. Our cruise group on FB is pretty big (and active) and the inside and oceanview rooms are no longer available, but there seems to be plenty of rooms available in concierge.

Well, I'm sailing 12/19 and 12/26 and I'll report back. This will be our 23rd and 24th DCL cruises. I've been on the ship with a variety of capacities and have sailed twice since re-start. I don't think direct comparisons to pre-pandemic sailings will be 100% accurate. With new covid measures, the social distancing and reduced capacity requirements (for adults and kids) along with reduction in on-board activities and shore excursions it almost certainly will be a different experience at higher capacities. I hope I'm wrong because these were super expensive cruises for us (we booked over a year ago). They have been offering steep discounts lately and the ship is clearly filling up.

I will see if I hear on the Wonder when we sail out this week.

Crazy good deal on a verandah was too good to pass up so we booked just a couple days ago.

NCL goes no mask requirement as well anywhere.

Last edited:
Just off the Magic yesterday. 1184 passengers. It was fabulous! We were on the Dream in October with 1900 and even though the Magic has smaller capacity/size, it still seemed much quieter than the Dream with 1900. It was a double dip and on our second CC day, we re-boarded the ship at 3:45 and they told us we were in the last twenty people on the island. I don’t know where everyone else was but it was amazing. I was able to book Palo brunch in advance as silver with plenty of time choices. The only time it felt slightly busy on the ship was around noon on sea day, which is to be expected. My kids had three to four time slots at the club each day which enabled them to pop in and out at will most of the time, just like it was 2019. We had the best time ever in October…and then somehow this cruise was even better than that. I would happily accept the altered cruising rules and offerings forever if we could keep sailing with these numbers.

Yes, I was scheduled to cruise the second week in January (before the new rules take effect) and noticed this, as well. Only verandahs are left to book, and the cruise group was pretty big. I decided to sail in late January, instead. Hoping to get the sweet spot after new rules but before the rumored February capacity increase.
If I could only sail that week after it would be so much safer than that second week seems now after the rush of new people on social media.

Just off the Magic yesterday. 1184 passengers. It was fabulous! We were on the Dream in October with 1900 and even though the Magic has smaller capacity/size, it still seemed much quieter than the Dream with 1900. It was a double dip and on our second CC day, we re-boarded the ship at 3:45 and they told us we were in the last twenty people on the island. I don’t know where everyone else was but it was amazing. I was able to book Palo brunch in advance as silver with plenty of time choices. The only time it felt slightly busy on the ship was around noon on sea day, which is to be expected. My kids had three to four time slots at the club each day which enabled them to pop in and out at will most of the time, just like it was 2019. We had the best time ever in October…and then somehow this cruise was even better than that. I would happily accept the altered cruising rules and offerings forever if we could keep sailing with these numbers.
We were on the same cruise and I thought the capacity was perfect. It wasn’t crowded but not dead. And CC was just perfect. The only crowds I ever saw were on embarkation day when everyone was waiting for their Covid test results. And even those were manageable. Honestly I keep wearing masks forever indoors if I can have a cruise like that again

Just off the Dream 12/13-12/17, told 2200 at port check in but one of our servers said it was 2400. Server also said they’re opening more up and relaxing more restrictions. We could self serve drinks on the pool deck and castaway for example. Ice cream was still served by a cast member. Couple of things at capacity but overall didn’t feel overly crowded but this was our first cruise so nothing to compare it with.

we were also told on the 12/13 sailing of the Dream that the number was 2200. We were told that by several different cast members. We sailed a month ago on the Fantasy and the number was 1600. Could definitely feel the difference, but 600 more was not terrible. The line at Serenity Bay for lunch was very long, but nothing else we did was impacted by the number of passengers.

Just off the Dream 12/13-12/17, told 2200 at port check in but one of our servers said it was 2400. Server also said they’re opening more up and relaxing more restrictions. We could self serve drinks on the pool deck and castaway for example. Ice cream was still served by a cast member. Couple of things at capacity but overall didn’t feel overly crowded but this was our first cruise so nothing to compare it with.
We were on that sailing as well. 😀 I agree it didn’t feel overly crowded. Had a great time!!
we were also told on the 12/13 sailing of the Dream that the number was 2200. We were told that by several different cast members. We sailed a month ago on the Fantasy and the number was 1600. Could definitely feel the difference, but 600 more was not terrible. The line at Serenity Bay for lunch was very long, but nothing else we did was impacted by the number of passengers.
Yes, that Serenity lunch line was long!!

Was just off the Fantasy on 12/12 sailing and the FB Group had someone report that there were only 1700 guests. I didn't get confirmation from anyone onboard.

Was on the Wonder 12/7-12 and was about 7-800 guests. It was fantastic. (Though was sad for the port vendors, who clearly are suffering the lack of crowds)

On the Fantasy now - 2200 is what we were told. I also was told yesterday by a bartender they are expecting 3000 next week. I really hope that's not true.
It’s Christmas week, why wouldn’t it be true? I’m expecting pretty much a close to full ship when we sail spring break. The fact is, if we want cruising to remain viable, sooner or later the ships need to go back to full capacity just like the theme parks have.

Will someone please remind me what the reduced capacity regulations are currently? Or is it just a recommendation to the cruise lines? Thank you!

"I'm curious (as I'm leaving on the Fantasy Eastern next Sunday), what was the ship like with 1800 people. Anything you'd recommend or avoid? "

I want to preface this as what I saw during the cruise. I loved the cruise and understand that this may be the new norm. Would I go on another cruise?, yes in a heart beat. Do I wish for a cruise in a previous non-Covid world? yes. Maybe a better balance between the two would be optimal.

The one thing I'd recommend is that if you see an activity you want to do get there early.

Some obversions: Pub quizzes were filling up fast. I am talking like 30 minutes early for some popular ones. Its due to there isn't as much alternate activities to do and the venues are at 1/2 seating capacity. I would also recommend setting expectations for some things you like doing on previous cruises may not be available anymore (whether in the short run or permanently, I don't know). A lot of entertainment for adults went away, character meet and greets are at a distance, staff won't take pictures for you at meals or through out the ship, you won't get your Animator's Palette design back, most activates after dinner are non-existent. Its hard to hear the staff thru the masks at dinner (loud to begin with).

I explain the cruise as this, if this was your first cruise it would have been a home run, 100% great cruise, low capacity, great availibity of deck chairs, running track space, one-on-one dining host attention, no wait for formal pictures, no wait for retail purchases, plenty of loungers on Castaway Cay. But if you have been on some cruises before and really like X-Y-Z and its now gone then you may be disappointed.
I'm SO torn on what to do. We said Dream in May, and I'm considering cancelling. I've never been on a Disney cruise, so I like that you said it'd be a great cruise, but . . . I just don't know.

Will someone please remind me what the reduced capacity regulations are currently? Or is it just a recommendation to the cruise lines? Thank you!
I don't believe there are any mandated capacity restrictions. Some cruiselines may have imposed their own. Or I believe most of the fluctuation of the past few months has been simply due to ebbs and flows of demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter