How have the passenger numbers been lately?

Just got off the 11/28 Fantasy Eastern. Many sources said there were 1800 on the cruise. I also heard there were 2000 the week of Thanksgiving.

I heard that the Fantasy hopes to have 3000 by the time the end of the year comes around.

Just got off the 11/28 Fantasy Eastern. Many sources said there were 1800 on the cruise. I also heard there were 2000 the week of Thanksgiving.

I heard that the Fantasy hopes to have 3000 by the time the end of the year comes around.
I'm curious (as I'm leaving on the Fantasy Eastern next Sunday), what was the ship like with 1800 people. Anything you'd recommend or avoid?

We did the Fantasy Western about three years ago, wondering how this will compare.

Thanks!

Who said the 3,000 number? We sail the last 2 weeks of the year and I've been consistently hearing no more than 2500. 3,000 is 75% of max capacity for the ship. That seems to me like too many passengers for adequate social distancing.

Who said the 3,000 number? We sail the last 2 weeks of the year and I've been consistently hearing no more than 2500. 3,000 is 75% of max capacity for the ship. That seems to me like too many passengers for adequate social distancing.
That, and it would take 3 performances to be able to have everyone see each show.

Does anyone know where to find weekly pre-pandemic totals for ships?
I’m thinking the last 7 day Itinerary before the vaccine requirements take affect, might be a full ship now. What I believe was one of the slowest/lowest attendance weeks might now be at holiday levels. My social media has blown up with newcomers joining because they have young children that can’t sail after our dates. We are mostly sold out now. I’m a little concerned about big crowds and waiting in lines. 3 of us would not be able to wait in lines without seating available. We are only bringing two seats (wheelchair and scooter) but longer lines will then be my problem since I can walk but have spasms when I stand with my hip/back pain.

The 3000 number was said by our dinning room hosts. I don't think it was an official announcement. But the dialog went like this. Me, "how many people are on the ship this week?", "1800 and there were 2000 on the ship for Thanksgiving, they're hoping for 3000 by December", "December is this week", I said, "Oh, the end of December". So that's how the conversation went. Maybe its hope by the staff? But that seemed like a pin in the map kind of statement to me.

"I'm curious (as I'm leaving on the Fantasy Eastern next Sunday), what was the ship like with 1800 people. Anything you'd recommend or avoid? "

I want to preface this as what I saw during the cruise. I loved the cruise and understand that this may be the new norm. Would I go on another cruise?, yes in a heart beat. Do I wish for a cruise in a previous non-Covid world? yes. Maybe a better balance between the two would be optimal.

The one thing I'd recommend is that if you see an activity you want to do get there early.

Some obversions: Pub quizzes were filling up fast. I am talking like 30 minutes early for some popular ones. Its due to there isn't as much alternate activities to do and the venues are at 1/2 seating capacity. I would also recommend setting expectations for some things you like doing on previous cruises may not be available anymore (whether in the short run or permanently, I don't know). A lot of entertainment for adults went away, character meet and greets are at a distance, staff won't take pictures for you at meals or through out the ship, you won't get your Animator's Palette design back, most activates after dinner are non-existent. Its hard to hear the staff thru the masks at dinner (loud to begin with).

I explain the cruise as this, if this was your first cruise it would have been a home run, 100% great cruise, low capacity, great availibity of deck chairs, running track space, one-on-one dining host attention, no wait for formal pictures, no wait for retail purchases, plenty of loungers on Castaway Cay. But if you have been on some cruises before and really like X-Y-Z and its now gone then you may be disappointed.

"I'm curious (as I'm leaving on the Fantasy Eastern next Sunday), what was the ship like with 1800 people. Anything you'd recommend or avoid? "

I want to preface this as what I saw during the cruise. I loved the cruise and understand that this may be the new norm. Would I go on another cruise?, yes in a heart beat. Do I wish for a cruise in a previous non-Covid world? yes. Maybe a better balance between the two would be optimal.

The one thing I'd recommend is that if you see an activity you want to do get there early.

Some obversions: Pub quizzes were filling up fast. I am talking like 30 minutes early for some popular ones. Its due to there isn't as much alternate activities to do and the venues are at 1/2 seating capacity. I would also recommend setting expectations for some things you like doing on previous cruises may not be available anymore (whether in the short run or permanently, I don't know). A lot of entertainment for adults went away, character meet and greets are at a distance, staff won't take pictures for you at meals or through out the ship, you won't get your Animator's Palette design back, most activates after dinner are non-existent. Its hard to hear the staff thru the masks at dinner (loud to begin with).

I explain the cruise as this, if this was your first cruise it would have been a home run, 100% great cruise, low capacity, great availibity of deck chairs, running track space, one-on-one dining host attention, no wait for formal pictures, no wait for retail purchases, plenty of loungers on Castaway Cay. But if you have been on some cruises before and really like X-Y-Z and its now gone then you may be disappointed.

We got off Eastern Fantasy last Sunday (5th) and agree with the above in showing up early - you also have to reserve the basketball court and there only 2 families allowed on the court at a time with 1-hour reservation slots. Goofy golf was only open when there were crew there to hand out clubs and balls (the balls are wood now! change from our last cruise). Many on-ship events were at capacity and turned people away that were not early - bingo (pre-sales started 1/2 hour before the game started, trivia of all kinds, etc. We noticed even little things like they don't pull out your chair when you take your seat at dinner. Leaving the ship during Castaway Day was chaos but that was likely due to the virtual queue breakdown plus being late into port so that may not be an issue with future cruises. I'd recommend enjoying breakfast on the ship and not hurrying off like we tried to do. We liked many things - the ice cream machines on deck 11 were manned by crew so were definitely more sanitary than past cruises as were the coffee/pop(soda) stations on deck 11. I hope they keep that post pandemic. Crew told us that there are still kinks to work out as passenger count is projected to be >3000 post-holidays. There were pluses and minuses for us compared to the past - but still overall it was in the high 70s to mid-80s all week with no emails and phone calls.

I’m thinking the last 7 day Itinerary before the vaccine requirements take affect, might be a full ship now. What I believe was one of the slowest/lowest attendance weeks might now be at holiday levels. My social media has blown up with newcomers joining because they have young children that can’t sail after our dates. We are mostly sold out now. I’m a little concerned about big crowds and waiting in lines.

We are cruising the end of January and (selfishly) are hoping to catch the other end of that. We are on a weekday 4 day cruise and are hoping for low numbers.Safer due to vaccine requirements and less people on board. Also less people for spots at ship activities.

We are cruising the end of January and (selfishly) are hoping to catch the other end of that. We are on a weekday 4 day cruise and are hoping for low numbers.Safer due to vaccine requirements and less people on board. Also less people for spots at ship activities.
Same. We're sailing on Jan 31, and I'm hoping between being during the week and just after vaccine requirements change that it'll be low passenger numbers. If not, that's fine. I'm just happy to go on vacation again.

Currently a little over 2k on the Dream 3 night. Expectations are around 2500 for upcoming holiday cruises according to what I was told.
Was told 2100 by guest services for cruise on Dream 12/3-12/6 as well. Felt crowded the first night, but for us really felt less congested overall on Days 2 & 3

Absolutely what I thought I had for our senior citizen’s party! We are all adults.
Kids in school and unpopular because so soon after holidays. We will be at same capacity as Christmas and New Years. Not at all what I signed up for initially.

Off the Dream "Merrytime Cruise" today (12/6-10 sailing). Two independent people (head server, first officer) said passenger count was 1,631, including 400 under age of 18. Both also mentioned that in February (unspecified week), DCL was planning to increase passenger capacity to 75%. ... That would be a shame - it was simply wonderful hardly ever waiting for an elevator, in any line, having Satellite Falls to ourselves for hours on end. Excellent weather and had the "primear" of West Side Story on last night.

Last edited:
Off the Dream "Merrytime Cruise" today (12/6-10 sailing). Two independent people (head server, first officer) said passenger count was 1,500, including 400 under age of 18. Both also mentioned that in February (unspecified week), DCL was planning to increase passenger capacity to 75%. ... That would be a shame - it was simply wonderful hardly ever waiting for an elevator, in any line, having Satellite Falls to ourselves for hours on end. Excellent weather and had the "primear" of West Side Story on last night.
Did they happen to mention how many were turned away at port for testing positive?

Does anyone know where to find weekly pre-pandemic totals for ships?
I’m thinking the last 7 day Itinerary before the vaccine requirements take affect, might be a full ship now. What I believe was one of the slowest/lowest attendance weeks might now be at holiday levels. My social media has blown up with newcomers joining because they have young children that can’t sail after our dates. We are mostly sold out now.
Yes, I was scheduled to cruise the second week in January (before the new rules take effect) and noticed this, as well. Only verandahs are left to book, and the cruise group was pretty big. I decided to sail in late January, instead. Hoping to get the sweet spot after new rules but before the rumored February capacity increase.

Yes, I was scheduled to cruise the second week in January (before the new rules take effect) and noticed this, as well. Only verandahs are left to book, and the cruise group was pretty big. I decided to sail in late January, instead. Hoping to get the sweet spot after new rules but before the rumored February capacity increase.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumored February increase is really just accommodating school vacations. Many states, especially in the northeast, have a week of school vacation in mid-February instead of having a week in March.

Looking to book a 5 night magic cruise for end of January. Super interested in any magic numbers and how the crowds/Covid measures seems on the smaller ships. Are venues reaching capacity?
If ship is 50% shouldn't be a problem. You have tonhave a reservation for fireworks and first come first served for show and movies. Kids get 2.5 only in the kids club per day by reservation only. Li.its in kids splash area to 3. Teens club no reservation needed. Only 1 familybler table at meals.

If this is any help, we sailed right before the shutdown (3/6/2020 for 3 nights on the dream) and the ship was at 3300 or so they said. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves still. No waits for anything, plenty of space in the bars and around the ship. No wait for a lounge chair by the pool or for a hot tub. It was GREAT.

The only truly miserable sailing we've ever done was the week before April on the Fantasy back in '19. The ship was at max capacity and so many other guests were SO CRANKY and obnoxious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter