How have security lines been lately

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
End of September everyone was saying how terribly long security and gate lines were. Now that staff is back up how have the lines been? We will be there in 2 weeks and hope it's better by then.

I think it depends on the time of day and maybe a little luck. Last Saturday we got there about 9am and the lines on the Harbor side were super long.

I was there 9/28. The lines at M&F were pretty long, but they moved surprisingly fast!

I feel like this is where WDW excels over DLR big time. At DLR they do not have enough bag check people or security for the number of guest to be timely. MY worst wait at WDW 2 weeks ago was 10 minutes at Epcot-most other parks there were only a few people in front of me at each security/bag check point. Entering from Harbor there is nearly always at least a 10 minute line. At 20 minutes till EMH opening time for DL the waits can be even worse because every single person has to go through the metal detectors. I cant figure out why they dont have more bag check/security spots to make it faster and easier on guests.

Last time we went to DLR was August 2015 and security has changed since then. I'm curious . . .

At 20 minutes till EMH opening time for DL the waits can be even worse because every single person has to go through the metal detectors.

Why is every person required to go through the metal detectors on EMH mornings?

Last time we went to DLR was August 2015 and security has changed since then. I'm curious . . .

Because the world has gotten more dangerous since 2015. Now they check everyone and I’m glad they do!

I understand that. I thought the metal detectors were for people who were randomly selected. Now each person has to go through the metal detectors? I'm trying to figure out how early to be in line at security if we want to be for an 8 AM MM entry. I was planning on 7:15 but maybe earlier?

I think the incident in Las Vegas has to be one factor. The person had checked into a 2 room suite. So, it makes sense to have everyone staying on property (and early entry) to go thru the detectors. Sad, but it is a mad world.

Every person goes through now, not just EMH/MM. Its been their rule since just after the mass shooting in Orlando.

I understand that. I thought the metal detectors were for people who were randomly selected. Now each person has to go through the metal detectors? I'm trying to figure out how early to be in line at security if we want to be for an 8 AM MM entry. I was planning on 7:15 but maybe earlier?
Yes, every person goes through now. What security point are you going to be going through? The Harbor one tends to take the longest; the others seem to go faster.

My son is in a wheelchair. How do they use the metal detectors on wheelchairs?

in my experience-which should not be take as gospel or Disney policy- when I went with my son when he was in a wheel chair after having knee surgery was that they checked his chair visually when we went through the bag check area and then they just had him go on through without the metal detector. They also let my little niece who was sleeping in a stroller, and my son who was pushing her skip the metal detector. Everyone else went through. They could use a wand if they were really determined but what I usually see if them giving disabled children just a visual check.

You may want to check the DisAbilities board though since there are a lot more experiences over there than the one time I brought a child in a wheel chair.

We entered from Harbor 10/7-10/10 and it was amazingly better! They actually had staff directing people which line to get into, so much better. I made us run late all four days and we didn't hit security til after 7:30 for 8am opening, and waited less than 5 min. Sat, Sun, Tues and 10 min Mon which was crazy Columbus Day. To compare, we waited 45 min arriving at 7:30 on a trip a couple months ago

Staying at Tropicana so entering from Harbor. Good to hear it's seems to be going more smoothly. I think we'll aim for leaving the hotel at 7 for Thursday's (Nov 30) 8 AM MM. Was disappointed that there is not a 7 AM MM that day but now I'm relieved!

Mickey and Friends week of 10/10, we were at security a half-hour before regular 8:00 opening both days and there were only a small amount of people in front of us. They only had 2-3 security lines/tables open at that time but it didn't back up too much. I hit a longer line going to EMH from the GCH in August one morning.

PHXscuba

They do not always put every guest through the metal detector.

I ended up behind my friends the other day (the guy checking my bag actually had me open my tiny wallet that is barely big enough to fit a few cards) and my little medicine tin. Surprised he didn't open my popcorn bucket even though you can clearly see into it. I had a small purse and it took longer for it to be checked that day than the person a lane over with the giant, full backpack. Needless to say: I ended up separated from my group by quite a number of people and no one was willing to let me catch up to them.

It was starting to get backed up waiting for the metal detector. Several of us (including myself) were then ushered out without getting scanned. My friends were quite confused how I was already done with several people still in front of them (and they knew I got held up). They actually thought me, miss goody two shoes, slipped through when no one was looking.

Anywho. In the past few days I've had it take anywhere from 30 seconds to 35 minutes to get through security. It all depends on the time of day.

We entered Mon 10/23 from Mickey and Friends parking at 11:30 and we're surprised it was still backed up. Just 10 minutes to get through, though, and a funny CM was telling people to put their sunscreen on while they waited (104 that day) so he was entertaining.

It's been my experience over the last year that they try to get everyone through the metal detectors, but when the line for those gets severely backed up, they start directing people to go around them. It's a little unfair as I was directed to go around once and the ended up getting through a lot faster than the people who were stuck in the backed up line. It seems like if you are already in line for the metal detector, they just keep you in that line and let the people behind you walk around your line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter