How has Orlando airport been?

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
Been hearing stories of long waits and people missing their flights. How long ahead should we be there?

We've been at MCO a few times later this year, and it's something we do not look forward to. It can be a real mess. To be fair, our last trip earlier this month, we got through check-in and security in about 20 minutes, which was way better than we were expecting - but it was more of a one-off for us. If you are going to be flying out during a busier time, get there at least 2:15 to 2:30 early just to be sure. There are some things that really help, like TSA-Pre, if you have it. Worst case, like us, we spent a little bit of extra time eating a leisurely late lunch in one of the airport restaurants one the good side of security! That was better than the anxiety people are feeling sometimes when the security lines aren't moving.

My daughter flew out of MCO earlier this month and had an hour wait for TSA for the Jet Blue gates at 4pm. Last Saturday I flew out at 9am and had a short wait in pre-check (15 minutes or so) for the Southwest gates, but regular checkin said 35-40 minutes and folks at the gate said it was closer to an hour.

sign up for a spot in the TSA line ahead of time if you're there during that window. Or get Pre. I've never spent more than 20 minutes going through security at MCO with Pre.

sign up for a spot in the TSA line ahead of time if you're there during that window. Or get Pre. I've never spent more than 20 minutes going through security at MCO with Pre.
Could you explaining what you mean by singing up for a spot in the TSA line ahead of time? I'm not familiar with an option that allows that and would like to understand better. Thanks!

Kids came from Maryland and Washington for two weeks. Dropped them off at their airlines (Alaska and SW) on 12-14 at 4:30pm for 6:00pm-ish flights. They had no problems easily making their flights.
The worst part was getting home for me on I-4.

Could you explaining what you mean by singing up for a spot in the TSA line ahead of time? I'm not familiar with an option that allows that and would like to understand better. Thanks!
TSA Pre-chek is awesome!
It is about $85 for 5 years. There is an online form to fill out and then go to an interview and fingerprinting.
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck We got our number about 3 days later. Love it!
We breeze through security, keep our shoes on, don't have to take out our laptop, iPad, etc.
For us, worth every penny.

TSA-Pre and that MCO reservations line programs are two different things. Pre-check as mentioned above is something you arrange for purchase ahead of time and then you get a 'known traveler #' you reference when making future plane reservations. It is good for 5 years and then has to be renewed. Never heard of that reservation line thing mentioned above so not really sure how that works or if it something MCO is experimenting with.

I have TSA-Pre and it a definite time saver at virtually every airport.

I have TSA-Pre and it a definite time saver at virtually every airport.
Agreed. I no longer would ever do MCO without it! If anyone doesn't have it but is considering, check with your credit card company. Some will pick up the tab for it, especially if they are associated with an airline.

If anyone doesn't have it but is considering, check with your credit card company. Some will pick up the tab for it, especially if they are associated with an airline.

It's worth the price at MCO alone even if your cc doesn't pay for it. I originally bought it because I was traveling to Boston for work, but I've changed jobs and it's been great for MCO and early mornings at RDU.

It depends, IMHO, assuming that you do not have TSA pre-check or Clear, here is my recommendation having flown into MCO several times this year:
  • If you are flying during a peak travel period (like right now and any holiday period) and checking bags, I strongly recommend arriving at least 3 hours prior to your flight
  • If you are flying during a non-peak travel period but still checking bags, arrive 2.5 hours prior
  • And if you are traveling any period and not checking bags, you can arrive 2 hours prior

Flew back on Thursday. We did have TSA Pre check, no wait for security. But heard wait time was 45 min. this was early afternoon. We did see several people miss their flights (we were delayed, so saw quite a few flights leave before us). I think there were about 9 people for 2 flights that missed their flights.

We flew back on the night of the 16th. I had pre check, and waited about 5 minutes. My DD did not, and regular security took about 35 minutes. On the way down on the early morning of the 12th, our local large airport had no line for pre check, but took almost 45 minutes for regular security. We thought MCO was faster. I always budget an hour for her to get through security at both airports.

Got to OIA at 5:10 AM today. We had Pre-Check so that was longer than normal, 8 minutes instead of 5. Southwest flight left on time and arrived at destination 25 minutes early. There were 25 empty seats.

Yes I'm wondering about the MCO Airport wait this week in particular. We fly out late on Tues night from MCO and though I have pre-check my 19yo daughter travelling with me does not so I'll likely just stand in the regular line with her.

We had a 8:40pm flight on the 23rd out of Orlando. Our car service picked us at 6:00 at SSR and we were at our gate a little after 7:00. The traffic getting into the airport looked bad but it was mostly the car rental lines. Our longest wait was to check our bags at the Southwest counter. Security wait was 5 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter