• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How hard is it to get a table without ADR?

The Wave and GFCafe may require an ADR. We've been there before where they told us we would wait for an hour to be seated at GFC and the matron at the Wave refused to seat us for a half hour, even though there were tables available.
Strange. Sat right down for breakfast last June. Not many people were there. For the evening, we were offered a table but we sat at the bar. Maybe it’s the time of day?
As for GFC, I have gone there many times without a reservation. They could have started doing this recently. I don’t think we tried in October. Although it is relatively empty an awful lot.

Olivia’s host gave me some attitude last June for breakfast. But the servers were thrilled. The place was dead. I went three days in a row without an ADR.
Kona is the one irritates me the most. It’s got lots of empty tables and they have turned me away on multiple occasions. We are keeping track, and no longer giving them our business. It’s really stupid on their part.

Disney is the one that told me to do it that way. I've never not had it work but I've never pushed it closer than a couple of hours either. Though we always know by then where we plan to eat too
Strange. If they are telling people that, why do they still have the rule? Why not skip the shenanigans and add a cancel reservation option same day?
Seems sketchy. Regardless, more power to you. It’s not that important to me.

We don't risk it. I always make one ADR per day, usually lunch. I plan everything around my ADRs, so unless we completely change our minds about what park we're going to (which has never happened), we're good to go. There have been days where we don't make any ADRs and just plan for QS, but we have changed our mind, especially when it's unbearably hot and we need a break from the heat and the parks. I was surprised once to be able to get BOG for the same day. I was not surprised to get Tony's for dinner once lol.
Lol on the Tonys comment.

As an exercise, I just got on the website and search dinner for 5 tomorrow in MK (granted, it's not crowded right now).

Your choices would be Crystal Palace at 5pm, 2 times at Diamond Horseshoe, Skipper Canteen at 7pm, Liberty Tree at 6pm, and 2 times at Tonys. So it's possible to go without ADRs.
And it’s much easier at Epcot.
Not so much at Hollywood Studios - we’ve had some success at Hollywood and Vine for obvious reasons. Mama Melrose at the right time.
I find Tiffins and Yak n Yeti fairly easy to get in.

The Wave and GFCafe may require an ADR. We've been there before where they told us we would wait for an hour to be seated at GFC and the matron at the Wave refused to seat us for a half hour, even though there were tables available.

They told me this at Captain's Grill once, plenty of available tables were in clear view. I went on my phone and there was an adr in 15 minutes which I booked and they then sat us right away. Was totally weird.

Remember that many lounges and bars serve the entire menu, if you decide last minute to sit at a bar.

I've eaten at 50's Prime Time Cafe at the Tune In Lounge at the bar with my kids. The bartender took our order from the menu (even split my entree into two plates so my youngest and I could share; the portions are too big for me!).

Some lounges offer a limited menu, but you can still get a nice meal without an ADR that way.

They told me this at Captain's Grill once, plenty of available tables were in clear view. I went on my phone and there was an adr in 15 minutes which I booked and they then sat us right away. Was totally weird.
Their reason for this is staffing. Empty tables don't always mean they can serve those tables. Quite often there is no staff allocated for those tables and there is no staff because there are no ADR. But, making an ADR will allow them to allocate staff accordingly. Even short notice ADR. This is why it always makes more sense to make one than not.
I look at it this way,
I walk up to a location, ask if they can seat us, they may say yes, they may say no. We won't know till we get there. Could be wasting time (and time is often precious at Disney)
However, if I open the app, look for the location and make an ADR, even for 15 min out, I know, they will take us. All questions removed. And yes, the fact that I found an ADR means in some cases they would have said yes when we walked up but again, why leave it to chance? We just make the darn ADR, no matter how soon we plan to eat

As a family who eats 99% TS and never makes them in advance (except for special occasions) I can tell you without question, it's very easy to find a lot of ADR as we are ready to eat. I find it totally unnecessary to make them 180 days in advance. I did but I've learned now just how unnecessary that is. Granted, we do not have allergy issues and we are not a large party. I think if you are trying for a big group it can be harder to find them last minute. But 2, 4, 6, they'll be no problem.

The ones that will take walk ups pretty much 100% of the time are the non-Disney owned locations. They operate in totally different sets of rules. If you can memorize which they are, great. Some are easy, some aren't.
Everything at DS is non-Disney owned.
The Landry properties at AK, Yak and Yeti, Rainforest Cafe
Where it's harder to figure out is Epcot, some here are leased, some are Disney owned. Rather than dealing with trying to remember I just go with the "always make an ADR" plan and we are never disappointed
The Disney owned locations are really much tougher to plan walkups. I really never plan for them to say yes, they do so much more rarely

Make your ADR's when you can. I see on this board a lot of people who make multiple reservations because they do not know where they will be and what they want 180 days out. I however plan even further out. I tell the girls what park we will be in on what day and ask where they want to eat. Now one thing that makes my job easier (and potentially yours) is we eat at a lot of the hotels which reduces the whole what park and when thing. Plus at least for us I have found that the food at the hotels is better than at the parks.

You will want to sit down and eat after being in the Parks for hours. I promise. And because of how they staff the restaurants, you need to make an ADR. @AngiTN has awesome advice on how to modify your plans if you start getting tantrums over chicken nuggets. ;)

Just pick something neutral to everyone's palettes and make an ADR. Somewhere.

You will NOT want to be standing, HANGRY, on your feet, hot and sweaty and humid, having a tantrum with your family in WDW because you didn't click a few buttons on a screen. I've done it... I regret it... I beg of anyone else NOT to make the same mistake...

Their reason for this is staffing. Empty tables don't always mean they can serve those tables. Quite often there is no staff allocated for those tables and there is no staff because there are no ADR. But, making an ADR will allow them to allocate staff accordingly. Even short notice ADR. This is why it always makes more sense to make one than not.
I look at it this way,
I walk up to a location, ask if they can seat us, they may say yes, they may say no. We won't know till we get there. Could be wasting time (and time is often precious at Disney)
However, if I open the app, look for the location and make an ADR, even for 15 min out, I know, they will take us. All questions removed. And yes, the fact that I found an ADR means in some cases they would have said yes when we walked up but again, why leave it to chance? We just make the darn ADR, no matter how soon we plan to eat

As a family who eats 99% TS and never makes them in advance (except for special occasions) I can tell you without question, it's very easy to find a lot of ADR as we are ready to eat. I find it totally unnecessary to make them 180 days in advance. I did but I've learned now just how unnecessary that is. Granted, we do not have allergy issues and we are not a large party. I think if you are trying for a big group it can be harder to find them last minute. But 2, 4, 6, they'll be no problem.

The ones that will take walk ups pretty much 100% of the time are the non-Disney owned locations. They operate in totally different sets of rules. If you can memorize which they are, great. Some are easy, some aren't.
Everything at DS is non-Disney owned.
The Landry properties at AK, Yak and Yeti, Rainforest Cafe
Where it's harder to figure out is Epcot, some here are leased, some are Disney owned. Rather than dealing with trying to remember I just go with the "always make an ADR" plan and we are never disappointed
The Disney owned locations are really much tougher to plan walkups. I really never plan for them to say yes, they do so much more rarely

This is nonsense.

This question comes up a lot, and I understand why. I get it; It's a little crazy to plan a bunch of meals months in advance. The thing is, there are so many factors that will determine whether you can get a walk-up ADR. Yes, you can always find a place to eat, but you will need to be flexible. Does it need to be at the park you are in? Or at a particular time? Or a particular restaurant? Or a particular type of food? If so, it's best to book a place that will meet the requirements.

If you are more open about what, when, where to eat, there are places that seem to frequently have last-minute ADRs. Resort restaurants farther from parks, those at Disney Springs, and some of the less popular restaurants (Marrakesh comes to mind) often have availability.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate a bit to justify that attack on another person's post?
Attack? :sad2:
I have been experimenting and keeping track of this. I’ve been purposely going to restaurants during non busy times without ADRs. There is no universal policy. Some restaurants are obstinate, and independently operated like La Hacienda. Some just have poorly trained hosts, who are cranky. They will seat you if you are persistent - Olivia’s. Grand Floridian Cafe looked irritated, but sat us after they put everything into some system.

My guess is it has to do with some non flexible computer system that is tracking everything. This is why there is a 15 min delay no matter what. I don’t think it has to do with servers. They can’t rush people in with a 15 min heads up.

Last June at Olivia’s, there were 5 servers standing around doing nothing begging me to sit down. I almost left because the host was rude. After I sat down, my server tried to get my order quickly so she could keep me. Alas, she got sent home. A second server took over. Not a server shortage, but a customer shortage. If the host was nicer, they may get more business. It definitely looks like unproductive software to me.

Same thing happened at Skipper Canteen. We walked up. We were asked if we had an ADR. They were frustrated we didn’t have one because of if the software. But, these two young ladies were more competent, and assured me they would have a spot for our party of 8. After probably 15 mins, we were seated in a near empty restaurant. The servers were thrilled to see us.

This supported by The Deb&Bill story above. 15 mins for the software to cycle. It’s ridiculous really. Some places line Marrakesh don’t have this problem. It seems like Tokyo Dining does though. They are empty often, but I still have to sit for 15.

Boatwrights is really a mess. Probably just bad management.

Of course going to a crowded restaurant with no ADR with 4-8 people is stupid. But last summer I walked up to Le Cellier without an ADR solo at 7:00 pm and they sat me After 15 mins without even batting an eye or complaining.

So I think it varies from restaurant to restaurant, owner to owner, host to host, time of day and crowds. I will continue to eat well without ADRs.
I’d things get difficult, I find a lounge.

Last edited:
Attack? :sad2:
I have been experimenting and keeping track of this. I’ve been purposely going to restaurants during non busy times without ADRs. There is no universal policy. Some restaurants are obstinate, and independently operated like La Hacienda. Some just have poorly trained hosts, who are cranky. They will seat you if you are persistent - Olivia’s. Grand Floridian Cafe looked irritated, but sat us after they put everything into some system.

My guess is it has to do with some non flexible computer system that is tracking everything. This is why there is a 15 min delay no matter what. I don’t think it has to do with servers. They can’t rush people in with a 15 min heads up.

Last June at Olivia’s, there were 5 servers standing around doing nothing begging me to sit down. I almost left because the host was rude. After I sat down, my server tried to get my order quickly so she could keep me. Alas, she got sent home. A second server took over. Not a server shortage, but a customer shortage. If the host was nicer, they may get more business. It definitely looks like unproductive software to me.

Same thing happened at Skipper Canteen. We walked up. We were asked if we had an ADR. They were frustrated we didn’t have one because of if the software. But, these two young ladies were more competent, and assured me they would have a spot for our party of 8. After probably 15 mins, we were seated in a near empty restaurant. The servers were thrilled to see us.

This supported by The OKWlover story above. 15 mins for the software to cycle. It’s ridiculous really. Some places line Marrakesh don’t have this problem. It seems like Tokyo Dining does though. They are empty often, but I still have to sit for 15.

Boatwrights is really a mess. Probably just bad management.

Of course going to a crowded restaurant with no ADR with 4-8 people is stupid. But last summer I walked up to Le Cellier without ban ADR solo at 7:00 pm and they sat me After 15 mins without even batting an eye or complaining.

So I think it varies from restaurant to restaurant, owner to owner, host to host, time of day and crowds. I will continue to eat well without ADRs.
I’d things get difficult, I find a lounge.
So care to explain why what I said was nonsense? Much of it was exactly what you said, just using different words
I specifically said non-Disney owned restaurants will often seat you without an ADR. Just about every restaurant you name above (not all but most) are Non-Disney owned. So, where's the nonsense in my post, exactly?
Why argue with a host and make the whole restaurant cranky (don't know about anyone else, but the last people I want cranky with me are the people handling my food) when you can just make an ADR that same day? I don't agree with your methods of confrontation to get a seat but I don't call it nonsense. More trouble than is needed but not nonsense.

Curious though, why the hate on an ADR you make same day, just before you head in to eat? When it can make things easier?

Funny too your comments on Boatrights and being a mess. It's one of the locations we've gotten seated without ADR many times. We stay at POR often. It's very easy to get seated there, in our experience.

So care to explain why what I said was nonsense? Much of it was exactly what you said, just using different words
I specifically said non-Disney owned restaurants will often seat you without an ADR. Just about every restaurant you name above (not all but most) are Non-Disney owned. So, where's the nonsense in my post, exactly?
Why argue with a host and make the whole restaurant cranky (don't know about anyone else, but the last people I want cranky with me are the people handling my food) when you can just make an ADR that same day? I don't agree with your methods of confrontation to get a seat but I don't call it nonsense. More trouble than is needed but not nonsense.

Curious though, why the hate on an ADR you make same day, just before you head in to eat? When it can make things easier?

Funny too your comments on Boatrights and being a mess. It's one of the locations we've gotten seated without ADR many times. We stay at POR often. It's very easy to get seated there, in our experience.

I was responding to the idea that the problem is staffing. And that ADRs are required. It’s probably more due to poor training and nonflexible software.

Regardless, they need to work on it. ADRs are silly when restaurants are empty. They should welcome walkups when a majority of the tables are open.

If there are empty tables, but the restaurant is not taking walk ups, it is definitely due to staffing. There is no question about this, and anyone who has worked in the field knows this. So folks that get angry and see an empty table may not know that they don't have staff for that section.

If there are empty tables, but the restaurant is not taking walk ups, it is definitely due to staffing. There is no question about this, and anyone who has worked in the field knows this. So folks that get angry and see an empty table may not know that they don't have staff for that section.
Simply not true at Disney World. There is something else at play. I understand your claim is logical, but it just isn’t the only explanation. Mismanagement is also a reasonable explanation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter