How fast it all changed.

DH is home. He was discharged fairly late Wednesday night. That was a little messed up and we they were not able to deliver the bed that night so he spent an uncomfortable first night on the couch. Yesterday, though the be was delivered and once I'd spent 90 minutes at the pharmacy trying to get the P-Card sorted out, we got his medications back into him and got him settled. He seemed to be pretty good yesterday afternoon but last night and this morning were pretty bad for pain and nausea. He is barely eating. He's lost 25 lbs as of last weekend, but I'm sure it's more by now. He can not even manage a half sandwich or a full egg. He asked for so I went and got him Pad Thai last night and I think he got in about three tablespoons.

This afternoon, though I saw the first spark of the old him. I started up his computer and as soon as he saw the number of e-mails that had come in over the past two and a half weeks, he sat up straighter and got busy answering them. I left him at it about 30 minutes ago and he's still going! I hope this helps with his drive and fight! Earlier today he was so down, had so much discomfort and was saying he just couldn't handle it. I think because he didn't get his regular medication schedule from Tuesday night on (took him off blood thinners and something else that night as he had the colonoscopy Wednesday morning) the pain got control. I said this morning we need to be sure to stay ahead of it and even if he thinks he's ok, to keep to the schedule for pain management.
My dad had the exact same diagnosis & he was a pretty stoic person, but the pain was unreal. Definitely stay on the pain meds around the clock. And, if that’s not enough, contact the dr ASAP. As the tumor(s) grow, the pain increases. We didn’t call the dr right away at first about pain b/c we didn’t know & my dad suffered unnecessarily at times. My heart goes out to y’all. It’s a terrible disease.

I think I've seen Joe Louis in more recent years but I do remember them from childhood. He hasn't even started chemo yet. I can't imagine what trying to find food he'll tolerate will be like then.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your family is going through this. Praying for healing...

I just found your thread. Thinking of you and my heart is truly going out to you and your family. The people on this board were so loving and supportive when my daughter was sick recently. She is okay now but you are so right - life changes in an instant. My love and prayers are with you from this moment on.

God bless you and thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and giving us the opportunity to pray and send our positive thoughts your way.

Definitely stay ahead of the pain. Even if he doesn't think he's in pain, make him TAKE the meds ON the schedule. Don't stretch it out, or wait for him to feel uncomfortable before taking another dose. Once he waits for the pain to start, it can be very difficult to get ahead of it again.

I would guess that the pain meds might be affecting his taste buds. Just keep feeding him whatever he is willing to eat or wants to try. If his tumor grows it will become more and more difficult to manage even a bite or two, and of course anorexia is a side effect of chemo/radiation, so try to feed him whatever he'll eat. Maintaining nutrition is a huge challenge for anyone undergoing chemo for any kind of cancer, and especially so with the digestive system diseases.

Hang in there, rodeo. I have no idea what the doctors are saying right now, but with pancreatic cancer, even those with the best outcomes are in for a rough ride getting through. Know that we are all thinking of you and your family, and know that we're all here to listen when you want to share.

Life does change on a dime, doesn’t it? I am so sorry for what your DH and your family are facing. We traveled through a shocking, life altering cancer battle (although, I think they all are, truly) with my MIL two years ago, so I know how overwhelming it is.

You will be in my thoughts and I wish you and your family peace, strength and time together...

Rodeo, I’m glad your husband’s home but I’m sorry this is all so difficult for all of you.

Please be sure to take care of yourself as best you can. Especially now, while you’re still trying to get into some sort of battle rhythm (and it IS a huge battle), you need to be sure you don’t become a casualty, too. Do you have friends and family nearby who can help you? If so, ask someone to help you set up a schedule so you’re not the one solely responsible 24/7 for meds and meals and appointments and whatever else is flying at you. It can be overwhelming. Write it all down. Either on the computer or tablet or on paper. If on the computer, provide printouts or emails to those who need to know. You can be the general but you can’t lead this fight alone.

I think of you often and send you my heartfelt thoughts and prayers.

Great suggestion Disney Doll! I will try shakes.

We had to have a second lesson in staying ahead of the pain this morning. He didn't want to take them at midnight. Said he was feeling fine. I argued. He was adamant. So, at 3 am the pain was back, of course. I think it's now under control again as of ten this morning. Made him "repeat after me" - "we don't skip pain meds" Ever. Ever. Ever.

He also thought of a few other things he'd like to try eating. So off I went to the supermarket on Saturday, Easter weekend. I lined up for 40 minutes. That was fun. But, he wanted Kashi cinnamon cereal (protein in that), pudding, BBQ chicken and salad, eggs to hard cook and keep on hand. So far today, he's eaten more than the previous two days so there's a win.

And, yes, my parents are on their way home from FL. They spend the winters there but cut it short this year and will be home Monday. I have to watch how much I ask of them, though because they're 81 and 82. They'll be great for visits, some drives to treatment when that starts, dad is great at organisation and a pretty good pit bull when need be, so I'll put him on phone calls to the bank / lawyer and try to get that mess sorted out. In looking at the paperwork, we may have a shot. They marked DH and I as ineligible. We are not ineligible (well - weren't at the time), so maybe...

I've also got friends who offered "whatever you need". I just have to figure that out. Once we have the oncology appointment Thursday, I'm sure everything will start to fall into a rhythm. At least I sure hope so. I need a break from chaos. I do much better with plans.

That last comment about chaos and plans is me, too. Even if the oncologist’s news isn’t what you want to hear, having facts rather than suppositions on which to act makes a lot of difference. Plans help so much when the world feels like it’s spinning off its axis.
I’m glad your folks are headed home. They’ll be a big help, regardless of age. And if you have friends who truly want to help, give ‘em specific jobs. Play to their strengths. Your new normal isn’t like your old normal, but you will start seeing some order out of the chaos.
Your whole family is in my heart.

Great suggestion Disney Doll! I will try shakes.

I've also got friends who offered "whatever you need". I just have to figure that out. Once we have the oncology appointment Thursday, I'm sure everything will start to fall into a rhythm. At least I sure hope so. I need a break from chaos. I do much better with plans.

Op - I'm sorry that you are having to go thru this. I don't have experience in your shoes, but I have experience being the friend offering help. I'll tell ya this - USE them. For example, that 40 minute line at the grocery store today? Ask a friend to do it for you. They will be more than happy to be doing something that has such a benefit to you. When your husband gets a new craving for something, phone a friend and ask them to pick it up or make it. Seriously, they'll be glad to, and you'll have time to focus on other things.

Unless you are the nervous energy type that has to keep moving, actually let someone come in and help clean your house. It may be tough/awkward feeling at first, but again the people helping you will be very happy to be doing concrete things to help you out. And it allows you to save your energy for the important things.

You mentioned pudding, that he asked for it. Boost has a pudding that is higher in calories. The butterscotch is actually pretty decent.

https://www.madewithnestle.ca/boost...VUrjACh1OXwhoEAAYASAAEgKfpPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also you might try a bit of Weight Gainer in the shakes. You can find it at Metro or online.

https://www.vitamart.ca/precision-all-natural-weight-gainer.html

The vanilla is not anything to write home about, the chocolate is more tolerable. Maybe just try a bit in with the ice cream/milkshakes to mask it, to see if he can tolerate it in general and with taste.

Does he like avocados at all? Peanut butter/nut butter? I always used them as quick ingredients to up the calories in a drink. Taste always trumps calories for the long run, always a hard balance to find for a loved one. :hug:

I am hoping to hear that you can catch a break with the mortgage insurance. Here's to that happening soon Rodeo.

I hope everyone is enjoying a lovely Easter weekend with family / friends!

Unfortunately, DH is not coping well at home, really. The bed isn't working out, he can't get comfortable. It sags and twists his back which is where the liver pain is radiating. He's back on the couch which we learned before he went into the hospital may be good for a night or two at best.

Pain comes and goes but we cannot get the nausea under control at all. Rx meds for nausea and one for digestion aren't working, gravol, tums, pepto bismol. Nothing seems to be touching it. He barely eats at all. Has managed most of a scrambled egg today and two bites of toast. Yesterday seemed a bit better but now its worse. I have a call into the home care team as of 9am today, but no response so far. This is fairly miserable. He said today, he wonders how long after treatment begins that any mass / lesions will shrink and he'll feel better. No idea what to say to that...and on it goes. Today, I'm afraid of what lies ahead if it's this bad just at the beginning.

Rodeo, I'm so so sorry that your husband is still not feeling any better. Your posts break my heart. You are being a wonderful caregiver to him and right now just love, love, love him and continue to be patient with his needs. I know how hard it is for you too. As helpless as you may feel sometimes, you are being wonderful to your husband. Hugs to you, your husband and your children.

I hope everyone is enjoying a lovely Easter weekend with family / friends!

Unfortunately, DH is not coping well at home, really. The bed isn't working out, he can't get comfortable. It sags and twists his back which is where the liver pain is radiating. He's back on the couch which we learned before he went into the hospital may be good for a night or two at best.

Pain comes and goes but we cannot get the nausea under control at all. Rx meds for nausea and one for digestion aren't working, gravol, tums, pepto bismol. Nothing seems to be touching it. He barely eats at all. Has managed most of a scrambled egg today and two bites of toast. Yesterday seemed a bit better but now its worse. I have a call into the home care team as of 9am today, but no response so far. This is fairly miserable. He said today, he wonders how long after treatment begins that any mass / lesions will shrink and he'll feel better. No idea what to say to that...and on it goes. Today, I'm afraid of what lies ahead if it's this bad just at the beginning.

I have been reading this thread with great sadness for you.

Tuesday marks the 3rd anniversary of losing my Mom to an aggressive lymphoma. So this sounds, unfortunately all too familiar. Near the end, my Mom developed a large tumor in the set of lymph nodes on her back. Which meant she spent her final 3 months in a lot of pain, which caused nausea and the lack of eating. And then it was just an agonizing slide. She was eventually put on a Fentanyl patch, but the dose that let her stay awake wasn't enough, so we had to supplement with morphine. The next higher dosage...well, she went to sleep and after 36 hours, she was gone. I wish we would have known that that would happen, because it meant we never really got a final goodbye. I felt it was hard to get direct answers from her caregivers because A. Positivity is a real key for fighting, B. I think most people react badly. So I felt like we weren't prepared for what the end would look like, and the timeline on how it unfolded. So I feel the need to mention this because I think people should be prepared for all eventualities. Be positive 90% of the time, but the other 10% should be a hard look at the real chance that this may be the best day of the days remaining and thoughts to what comes next. And it absolutely sucks.

Do you have a recliner, or a friend or family member with one they could deliver to your house for your husband to try? Before my Mom, was in the hospital, she slept in the recliner a lot, because she could arrange pillows in a way to avoid putting pressure on the tumor. I wouldn't go out and buy one, because all unknowns. But if you already have one, or can get one easily it might be worth a try.

I also have to say. If there are any family or long-time friends who don't live in easily driveable distance that you should consider asking if they want to come. We almost waited too long for my Grandma and my Mom's brother and one sister to come. I felt really bad for her brother, because they were messing around with her pain meds, and so his last memories of seeing his sister were during a state of delirium. If we had known, there are a few other people that would have liked to come. And if people can't come Skype is a really great tool. And unfortunately consider, don't wait too much for a day he's feeling better...because it may not come. :(

As for treatment. Relief can come fast. With my Mom's cancer one of the drugs they used is Rituxan...it melted the tumors away just like that. As in like 2 days and she was feeling a thousand times better, and in 10 the tumors were essentially gone. But unfortunately, the drugs they gave to cure the cancer didn't work. My Dad saw the improvement due to the tumor shrinkage and thought that meant she was getting better, but they aren't the same thing. And unfortunately, the relief wears off too. The last course of Rituxan only gave her relief for about 4 days, and the tumors came back larger than ever. I don't know if your husband's treatment will include that drug or if he will respond to it. But I hope that he will respond to treatment at least enough to relieve the pain and make each day better than what you are dealing with now.

All the luck I have, I give to you.

Rodeo, find out about getting a recliner, the kind with an electronic control. This adjusts over a range of positions instead of one or two specific positions. It was so helpful for my friend, and for my DH when he was "bedridden" for six weeks last year. For the nausea, ask them about a scopolamine patch. Unfortunately, because his cancer involves his digestion system, anything he takes orally may not be as effective as it should be, as he won't be able to absorb it properly. Also, does he have a PICC line or a port? If they put one in for chemo, you should ask about other drugs being administered by this route- once again bypassing his digestive system and any absorption problems. Also, I don't know where you live; is medical marijuana a possibility? They might try to give him Marinol or some other pill-form of THC, but it's not going to be as helpful as it should be, if he can't digest/absorb it. Smoking pot was one of the very best things to help my friend overcome her nausea and pain. There is a lot they can do for the pain. My friend had an implant in her back that bathed the spinal nerve roots in alcohol, which gave her magnificent, almost constant pain control for quite awhile. This was over 30 years ago, so I'm sure there are even more effective ways of pain management now. Don't let your DH downplay his pain levels to his doc (trying to be a good soldier and all), and NEVER let a doctor suggest you keep doing something longer to see if it gets better, if you know it's already not working. Be the biggest b!%@# you can be, if that's what it takes to get your DH the relief and care he needs. There are no brownie points for being "nice" when you are fighting the agony of cancer.

Aw, honey, I just want to reach out and give you a big hug, and make it better. Keep taking care of you, loving your DH and kids, spending as much time together as you can. You know we're all here for you.

Second the electric recliner, my mom’s went from almost standing position to full recline with her feet above her heart, and all positions in between. One or two hits from a joint will most likely eliminate almost all nausea, until my mom needed it, I had NO idea how many people we knew smoked recreationally, so easy to get. Nothing that was prescribed to her touched it.

ETA, look on Craigslist for a chair. We ordered new, but I just checked locally, and there are $20 for sale here, one is $300 and brand new (we spent over $1000). I sold it on a Facebook Saale group, so check there as well.

Thank you all. Yes, we have looked into the medical marijuana route. The oncologist said yes so we just have to get her referral to the clinic and we're good there. We do have reclining sofas, although not electronic. He can tolerate them for a couple of hours. I just got a call from the home health delivery team who are bringing something to go on top of the mattress - like an air mattress on top, so maybe that will help.

We're going to try salmon tonight, so hopefully he can tolerate that. It just seems to be a cycle between, the pain, nausea and anxiety. They feed each other an once one is a problem the dominoes seem to fall. Right now he is somewhat comfortable, so hopefully the salmon will go down ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter