• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far out do you plan your trips??

smithfamilyof7

Mouseketeer
Just curious... we’ve unintentionally made it a tradition of sorts to go to Disneyland every two years. 2018 is our off year but I’m getting the itch to start planning... I’m looking at Dec 2018 or Jan 2019. We’ve never been during the Christmas season so I’d love to do early Dec and experience that this time around.

So I’m wondering how far out you’re able to make travel reservations? I know flights open up something like 9 months in advance (at least on the apps I have). I tried searching hotels and there’s not many options - don’t know if that’s because it’s just over a year out or if it’s because it’s hard to book during the holidays!

4-5 months usually. Have to start planning an Aulani vacation soon though for 2019. Also MAYBE a late 2018 WDW vaca.

I always book my hotels as early as possible. I got $125 rooms at the Marriott, that are going for $179 to $199 right now. The nice part is i dont have to pay until i get to the hotel next week.

Park tickets one can get anytime before leaving, and flights are booked 300 days in advance.

Am I a planner.... nah... maybe.... yep...

Just curious... we’ve unintentionally made it a tradition of sorts to go to Disneyland every two years. 2018 is our off year but I’m getting the itch to start planning... I’m looking at Dec 2018 or Jan 2019. We’ve never been during the Christmas season so I’d love to do early Dec and experience that this time around.

So I’m wondering how far out you’re able to make travel reservations? I know flights open up something like 9 months in advance (at least on the apps I have). I tried searching hotels and there’s not many options - don’t know if that’s because it’s just over a year out or if it’s because it’s hard to book during the holidays!
Where do you think you might be interested in staying for your trip?

If you look at info for this current year, it will give you an idea of prices.
However, keep in mind booking a place on Harbor now for Dec 2018/ Jan 2019 should get you the best rates.
Right now you can book at the Tropicana through 11-30-2018. December 2018 should open in the next week or so.

If you book a DLR hotel, you can watch for a room promotion to come out early September.

Started planning our August 2017 trip back in July 2016. I'm a planner and we typically do big family trips every 1.5 years so timing is normal for us. It even let me check wait times during the 2 August weeks we were deciding between. I live having a trip in the works, even if it's far off.

We start a year out with research, I work out when tickets, accommodation, flights are released, put reminders on my calendar so that I can book immediately... The minute we get home, I start with the next one...

I have found "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" to have some very nice airfares.
For 2018 I booked a few hotel nights at DLR and on Black Friday I matched up my flights.

I have a round trip flight PDX to LGB for $118 in January.
Another round trip to SNA, free with points for March.

we have a trip coming up in less than one month for our family and we have already started planning another Christmas trip for 2018 for 15 of us.

we have a trip coming up in less than one month for our family and we have already started planning another Christmas trip for 2018 for 15 of us.
Haha we leave next week and normally I book the next years hotels for our trip when we come home but I’ve already booked several hotel choices for Dec 2018 and we haven’t left for this year yet haha

As longtime APs, usually minimum 24 hours, but have come home early from work and decided to drive the kids up after school a couple times.

I also book the hotel way in advance. I have found that when they first open the dates rates are cheaper (guess they think no one will book that early). So, about a year in advance is when I start looking. Desert Inn & Suites is our go-to place since they are the ones that tend to open their dates the earliest. Can usually find their rooms for $79-89, this year I waited too long (thinking we would do WDW in 2018) and the lowest rate I've found is $119 for a trip in May.

Same for flights, we use Southwest and I make sure to look on the first day they open the dates we want. Their rates sometimes drop but most of the time they stay the same or go up for our market.

Tickets I wait until closer to the trip but before of any expected price hike - I believe they raise prices in February.

Last edited:
BFF and I usually start planning 9-12 months in advance, 6 months at minimum.

I started planning my April 2018 trip in Sept 2017. I have all the logistics and financials tentatively worked out. Problem is that I'm going down on my own to meet up with BFF who is chaperoning a school trip. And we won't know if the school trip will happen until 30 days out. Luckily I'm staying with a relative so I don't have to worry about a hotel, but I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be paying premium prices for airfare and a car!

we had an idea of when we wanted to go in April 2018 around October 2017 -- flights went to sale this week and I bought them :-)
now I am planning hotel options and booking where I think we will stay with a couple of backup bookings as well -- final decisions on hotels will happen beginning of March!

Haha we leave next week and normally I book the next years hotels for our trip when we come home but I’ve already booked several hotel choices for Dec 2018 and we haven’t left for this year yet haha
If it were just my family of 3 going i would already have everything booked, but since we are going with two other families and we are trying to match dates and choose hotels, and since i have been preoccupied with my dining plans for this upcoming trip we just have not gotten around to it. It can never be too early too book.

11 months out ....... that is my booking window at the Grand Californian for my DVC membership. :)

We are trying to plan an October, 2019 Aulani trip, but the calendars don't go out that far.

I book our room at 11 months (DVC).....so plan dates for trips over a year in advance

In the case of this trip, I started planning Feb 2017 for Jan 2018. I won 2 free nights at Stovall's in one of their contests, so I just had to figure it into my schedule.

Typically, I start watching the flights, and when I see a fair deal, I jump on it, then make my hotel reservations. So, maybe 6 months ahead or so.

I've also pulled together pieces of a trip (namely, airfare) within a month of travel-- had to wait for my tax return--but had everything else planned, just waiting for purchasing.

All that being said, currently I have 5 trips in planning with dates (2018, 2019 x2, 2021 x2), and another trip 6 weeks away.

Usually 4-5 months out but we just decided a few days ago to go next month so planning quickly this time. Paying more but worth it :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter