• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far out can you start booking trips?

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
For the last couple of weeks I've been looking at prices for a trip to WDW. Because I'm not going until 2017, I was using next years prices as a gauge. I Just tried to alter my dates and how long I'm going to see what that does for the price only to find out that the time frame I was looking at, Sept., is now sold out, which is good to know. I need to know these things so I know when I need to book by. But now this brings up a question: How far out does Disney open up the booking process? If I'm planning a trip for 2017, when would Disney open that calendar year for booking? I understand that there might not be a precise date, but an estimation would be great.

Thanks,
CCT

Packages for 2017 will be released next summer. It is usually the end of July, First of August.

Room only can be booked 499 days in advance and has to be called in that far in advance. Word of warning, they are 2 different systems. So if you are planning on booking a package, I would just wait. Otherwise, when you go to add the tickets/dining, they will cancel your room only and rebook as a package. The refund isn't instant and usually take a few days to process.

What resort where you looking at that is sold out 10 months in advance? Was it one of the convention resorts?

Packages for 2017 will be released next summer. It is usually the end of July, First of August.

Room only can be booked 499 days in advance and has to be called in that far in advance. Word of warning, they are 2 different systems. So if you are planning on booking a package, I would just wait. Otherwise, when you go to add the tickets/dining, they will cancel your room only and rebook as a package. The refund isn't instant and usually take a few days to process.

This is good to know.

What resort where you looking at that is sold out 10 months in advance? Was it one of the convention resorts?

I just looked on Disney's site and tried looking at the value resorts and nothing was available.

Edited to ADD: Ok, ,something's wrong, or went wrong because I looked this morning and couldn't find anything in the value resorts because "Nothing was available for those dates." I just tried it again and got through to prices. What the heck?!

This is good to know.

I just looked on Disney's site and tried looking at the value resorts and nothing was available.

Edited to ADD: Ok, ,something's wrong, or went wrong because I looked this morning and couldn't find anything in the value resorts because "Nothing was available for those dates." I just tried it again and got through to prices. What the heck?!
System is notoriously freaky.

At some resorts, they also hold rooms for a while. People will say they call and are told "there are no rooms available," but that doesn't always mean a sell-out. Rooms can be made available later, especially places like CSR or CR-GW which hold a lot of convention traffic. Part of a convention contract involves holding room blocks for conventioneers only until X Date.

System is notoriously freaky.

At some resorts, they also hold rooms for a while. People will say they call and are told "there are no rooms available," but that doesn't always mean a sell-out. Rooms can be made available later, especially places like CSR or CR-GW which hold a lot of convention traffic. Part of a convention contract involves holding room blocks for conventioneers only until X Date.

Good to know. Thanks

This is good to know.

If you have a specific resort you are interested in, I would suggest clicking on the actual resort even if it shows that there is no availability. It may actually not be available but frequently it is a website glitch and the availability will load when you click through to the individual resort.

440 days out.

Edit: 500. Sorry!

However, you cannot just book it online. You've gotta call in. Here's a link for more information.
The link mentions a deposit to hold your reservation. Is that typical for a room-only reservation, or just when booked that far in advance? I haven't done room-only in many years but I don't remember needing to put down a deposit to hold the room.

The link mentions a deposit to hold your reservation. Is that typical for a room-only reservation, or just when booked that far in advance? I haven't done room-only in many years but I don't remember needing to put down a deposit to hold the room.

Any room reservation, whether it is room only or a package, will require a deposit at the time of booking. A room only reservation requires a deposit equal to one nights stay. A package requires a $200 deposit. I don't recall a time in recent years when a deposit wasn't required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter