• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far is the walk at these moderates?

PersonalizedMouse

PersonalizedMouse
Wehave always had to stay deluxe because we are five. I might be taking the kids without hubby so I wanted to save and go moderate. I know POR and POFQ doesn't have internal bussing. How bad is the furthest walk? At CSR and CBR is taking the internal bus necessary? How far away from things are you if you are in the furthest buildings? Thanks for the insight.

We have not stayed at CSR so I can't comment on that. But we love CBR. The walk from the absolute farthest room at CBR to the Main Pool and food court is 9-10 minutes. This would be from the farthest point of Trinidad South which is 100% Pirate Themed Rooms. If you don't book one of those, the longest walk you would have would be 7-8 minutes. About 85% of the non preferred rooms are 3-5 minute walk. At CBR every village has its own bus stop and leisure pool so you are never far form either. We have had 5 stays at CBR all over the resort, except the Pirate Themed Rooms, and have never used the internal shuttle nor ever felt the need to. In fact, we usually comment on the fact that there is never anyone on the Internal shuttle when we see it go by.

We stayed at CSR and I would say it is also about a 10 minute walk from the furthest locations. We were in Cabanas 8B and were about a 10 minute walk from the main building, but when we went the main pool served breakfast daily and had mug refill stations. We were only about 2 minutes from the main pool, so we never had a reason to use the main building. There was also a bus stop right behind our building, so even though we were far from the main building we thought our location was very convenient.

POFQ is by far the smallest resort. I never measured it but I'm fairly comfortable saying your walking at a deluxe was much further than the walking you would do at POFQ. Even the walk from POFQ to POR if you want to use the facilities at the other is reasonable, and if it's not, jump on almost any bus or the boat and take it over there. (all park buses stop at POR stops after picking up at POFQ, DTD doesn't) The other moderates have buses to the parks spread around at a fair distance and if it's a long walk to the food at the resort, there is an internal bus available like CBR has. Never checked out CSR yet to comment on that but I would assume it's the same.

The only time we felt the need to take an internal bus at CBR was to get to the Customs House (front desk), because it's disconnected from the main resort (for some reason). As others have said, longest walks at both CBR and CSR are about 10 minutes.

On a side note, we absolutely LOVE both CSR and CBR and would recommend them to anyone! Beautiful resorts.

There definitely ARE internal buses at POR. At all of the resorts where there are such buses how far it is to walk to the main building can be short or it can be long; and at CBR the food court, pool, shops and restaurant are in one place and the check-in lobby is in a completely different place. Also, as previously noted, POFQ is very compact and you won't be too far from the main building no matter where you are.

I've stayed at POR and thought everything was a reasonable walk, though I primarily stayed in the Magnolia Bend/mansion area. It was definitely under 10 minutes and I walk at a snail's pace!

I've stayed at AKL and POFQ.....definitely walked LESS at POFQ. It's a fabulous & compact resort! (Plus, the bus lines at the end of the day were usually the shortest - bonus!)

I've stayed at AKL and POFQ.....definitely walked LESS at POFQ. It's a fabulous & compact resort! (Plus, the bus lines at the end of the day were usually the shortest - bonus!)
Did you like POFQ better thank AKL? I'm so torn between the two and there's not a huge price diff with pass holder discount for a pool view room at AKL?

Did you like POFQ better thank AKL? I'm so torn between the two and there's not a huge price diff with pass holder discount for a pool view room at AKL?

I've stayed at both, they are very different. AKL is obviously fancier and everything under 1 roof, handy when at resort and some rain. there's also more convient food options. POFQ is outdoors to get from room to anywhere, less food option but really convient to POR or DTD. AKL does have some tour and options that are only available if you stay in AKL if those interest you.

Deluxe resorts seem to have a lot better luck at this staff to get you into hard to get reservations or fast passes.. Not garunteed but you have slim to no chance at a moderate or less.

What ages are your kids? Pool at POFQ is themed wonderfully, but geared more towards younger children. AKL pool-view room is near lobby, so you won't have long walking distances with that category of room (which is why we often choose it when staying at AKL).

We enjoy both resorts. Given a choice, we'd pick AKL.

I've stayed at both, they are very different. AKL is obviously fancier and everything under 1 roof, handy when at resort and some rain. there's also more convient food options. POFQ is outdoors to get from room to anywhere, less food option but really convient to POR or DTD. AKL does have some tour and options that are only available if you stay in AKL if those interest you.

Deluxe resorts seem to have a lot better luck at this staff to get you into hard to get reservations or fast passes.. Not garunteed but you have slim to no chance at a moderate or less.
Thank you :)

What ages are your kids? Pool at POFQ is themed wonderfully, but geared more towards younger children. AKL pool-view room is near lobby, so you won't have long walking distances with that category of room (which is why we often choose it when staying at AKL).

11,5, and 1. This is our first disney trip so I'm definitely not sure where to stay not being familiar with the area. I try to read as many articles about all the resorts but I still like asking advice from people who have been there and saw it.

Right now we are actually booked at PO riverside preferred room due to POFQ being booked solid but really consider making the change to AKL since it isn't a significant price difference.

Right now we are actually booked at PO riverside preferred room due to POFQ being booked solid but really consider making the change to AKL since it isn't a significant price difference.

I'd probably switch if you've never been, it's worth staying at especially if it's not that much different in cost. If your a smoker, be warned that because of the animals next to the resort there is very few places to smoke and they are all near the front entrance IIRC.

I'm with the others who say the resorts are really too different to accurately compare. They both offer pros and cons and it really depends on what you're looking for in a resort. I'd say that if I had kids in the age range of yours, I'd probably pick POFQ. Also, I think staying at a moderate resort for your first trip is a good idea. We stayed at POFQ first and on our next trip stayed at AKL. Our upcoming trip, we're going back to POFQ, but I'm already having a hard time mentally shifting away from the "niceness" of AKL. I just really really really enjoyed being INDOORS. Once you were IN the resort, you were really IN the resort, you know? It's a small thing, but I find myself having to remind myself of that difference.

Also - one more random piece of info that might influence your decision.... The walk to the bus stop at AKL is downhill. Which is fine in the morning. But after a long day at the parks, coming back UP that hill really seemed to kill us. And that was WITHOUT dealing with any kids. As far as I can remember, POFQ is flat all the way around. So there's that to consider as well.

Both resorts are fabulous, though, so I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you decide. I do agree that the pool theming at POFQ is probably better for kids in the age range you have.

I'm with the others who say the resorts are really too different to accurately compare. They both offer pros and cons and it really depends on what you're looking for in a resort. I'd say that if I had kids in the age range of yours, I'd probably pick POFQ. Also, I think staying at a moderate resort for your first trip is a good idea. We stayed at POFQ first and on our next trip stayed at AKL. Our upcoming trip, we're going back to POFQ, but I'm already having a hard time mentally shifting away from the "niceness" of AKL. I just really really really enjoyed being INDOORS. Once you were IN the resort, you were really IN the resort, you know? It's a small thing, but I find myself having to remind myself of that difference.

Also - one more random piece of info that might influence your decision.... The walk to the bus stop at AKL is downhill. Which is fine in the morning. But after a long day at the parks, coming back UP that hill really seemed to kill us. And that was WITHOUT dealing with any kids. As far as I can remember, POFQ is flat all the way around. So there's that to consider as well.

Both resorts are fabulous, though, so I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you decide. I do agree that the pool theming at POFQ is probably better for kids in the age range you have.
Thank you so much for all the great information:)

We stayed at CSR last month and were in the farthest building third floor facing the parking lot and bus stop 3. It is exactly seven minutes and 30 seconds to walk to the lobby and that was waiting for the elevator which by the way moves pretty quick. PoR is probably on par with CSR but remember, you can always walk to the bus stop and take any bus but DTD to the front lobby or call the front desk and they will send someone with golf cart to get you. This is at CSR, can't remember how PoR buses run in what order.

I liked AKL significantly more than POFQ.
I think if I had to rank our on property stays it would be AKL, CBR, then POFQ. The small size of POFQ is actually a drawback to me. We were in one of the further out rooms at CBR (Building 13) and loved it. We would usually walk to the main building in the mornings, and catch the bus from there, or get dropped off there in the evenings and walk back to our room. We didn't use the internal bus at all. I'd say it was a little over 5 minutes for us at our normal pace. I really liked how quiet it was at our building, and we had a quiet pool immediately outside our door. We only had a 3 month old at the time, so that's all we needed pool wise.
We're staying at CSR during our next trip, and I actually switched from a preferred room to a standard, because it saved us a little bit of money, and I don't really attach a higher value to preferred rooms, especially since the pool area has food and is on the opposite end from the main building, and the preferred quiet pool is going to be closed during our stay anyway.

Even though AKL had kind of a closed off feeling (due to the animals, it's less open than a lot of the other deluxes) we would definitely choose it over a moderate, if the price wasn't an obstacle. We spend more time than average in our room though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter