How far do you stretch partaking in complimentary items?

It completely depends on my mood and where I'm at and what's available, etc. But really it's not me gobbling it all up.

Back in the day samples at Costco and Sam's was dinner sometimes when I was at my dad's house lol.

Coffee is nearly always a must for me at Hampton Inns in the lobby.

Cocktail/social hours offered for some hotels sometimes.

The Parking Spot offers bottled water when you leave though majority of the time we don't take one.

The Homewood Suites we just stayed at gave us each a bottle of water in check in and we def. drank that. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was good too.

Husband drinks the free coffee at his work---funny thing is his work actually cared enough to ask people to vote on what kind of coffee they wanted when they switched vendors.

and multiple other places. There are many others that I've declined mostly because I didn't want anything at the time.

Love free stuff! That free breakfast buffet will also be lunch, that managers reception will be dinner. I used to take my five kids to Costco for lunch (free samples), and when our local stew Leonard’s (liquor store) used to have cheese samples as well as wine tasting, I’d go several times a week. That said, hotel rates were over $300 a night, a trip to Costco cost a few hundred, and I’d always but something at Stew’s. When the kids were little, I always meant to stop by Bobs furniture for snacks, but never did, although IKEA was always good for free childcare!
You mentioned price a few times. Does it make you feel more like it's acceptable to have the complimentary item(s) if the price is up there?

I only mention that because it sure doesn't for us :) Price is relative and some places charge more than others for no other reason than they can (or sometimes it's location location location, etc).

If I only need toilet paper from Costco by golly I'll get that $15+ toilet paper, my sample of whatever, check out and be on my way :P

I always hear about that place. Is it actually good or is it just “fun” to go for the huge huge portions?
Not the poster you quoted but we went to the one at the LINQ in Vegas multiple mornings. For us the food was just so good. We could never finish the pancakes we each ordered on our own so it wasn't about portion size.

I always hear about that place. Is it actually good or is it just “fun” to go for the huge huge portions?

Prices look pretty high. But the portions can be massive. Both pictures I showed could easily feed 2 or maybe even 3. You aren't going to see any gourmet in there. In general, it's plain ole comfort food done well with a slight twist.

If you go to Costco on a Saturday, it’s true- you can literally have lunch while you shop! They often offer samples of things we actually buy...Bonus!

Costco drives me nuts on a Saturday. Half the time, it's near impossible to get around the aisles because there will be 3 or 4 people (with their carts), standing there waiting for a bite of whatever they're sampling.

If I happen to be walking by and they're offering something that looks interesting, I'll grab one. But I'm not looking to spend 2 hours at Costco, so I will never wait for something to finish cooking so I can try it.

We stay at the Virgin in downtown Chicago for three or four nights, several times a year. They have a complimentary social hour at the bar for guests every evening from 5 til 6. This is a classy bar with skilled bartenders who create real cocktails. We've gotten to know everyone and we tip well so we never wait for a drink. We've had $120 worth of drinks in an hour! Last time we were there it was the last week for one of our favorite bartenders and she kept serving us for free until 8:30.

I don’t consider complimentary breakfast at a hotel to be the same as free samples at Costco. Those breakfasts are included in your room rate. You’re paying for them, so you might as well enjoy them. I don’t grab things “to go” but I do enjoy the meal while I am there.

I don’t generally partake of free items elsewhere. Occasionally if my car repair is taking a long time I will have a complimentary beverage but that’s about it.

But, being a bit hypocritical, last year at Disney, after checking out of the hotel and going to the MK for the morning, we went back to the food court and filled up our mugs for our drive out to Clearwater. For some reason, we didn't feel as guilty as we usually would.
Guiltless. Your mug is good until 11:59 PM the day you check out.
and when our local stew Leonard’s (liquor store)
Just liquor? Since when? When did the format change?

I don’t consider complimentary breakfast at a hotel to be the same as free samples at Costco. Those breakfasts are included in your room rate. You’re paying for them, so you might as well enjoy them. I don’t grab things “to go” but I do enjoy the meal while I am there.

I don’t generally partake of free items elsewhere. Occasionally if my car repair is taking a long time I will have a complimentary beverage but that’s about it.
Well I mean Costco and Sam's club both have membership fees :) One could say free samples are a perk of that membership fee lol.

Free breakfasts though is just an amenity of a hotel. Your room rate is comprised of a multitude of things amenities are just one of them. Hiltons don't often have free breakfast but Hamptons do. Hamptons are usually lower cost than Hiltons. The amenities though can differ between Hiltons and Hamptons.

I do. All the auto shops I got to offer free coffee or tea. I have no problem having a cup while I wait the 30 mins to get my oil changed. When we stayed at Holiday Inn express, I took a cup of coffee to go. I was good and didn't touch the cookies, no matter how good they look. More of health reasons than anything.

If it’s food offered at someplace I’m supposed to be (ie-car dealer getting my car fixed, hotel that includes breakfast, conference) I’ll certainly take something if I want it. I might also take a bottle of water “to go”.

But I don’t take more food for later, 4 bottles of water to go or walk in off the street to eat the hotel free breakfast.

Free breakfasts though is just an amenity of a hotel. Your room rate is comprised of a multitude of things amenities are just one of them.

absolutely-many years ago when i worked for a hotel i saw how this is calculated down to minute percentages of how much an adult is anticipated to consume in the way of towel usage and utilities (length of showers-water/power) and of certain 'complimentary' items vs. kids (which is why some places charge no additional fee for a minor vs another adult in a room) so i don't hesitate to bring a ziplock bag w/me when we travel to put the unopened soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion into each day before housekeeping comes in and will replenish them. i don't use them personally (allergies) but since i know for a fact that my rate is calculated to include daily replenishing i collect them to donate to our local shelters who GREATLY appreciate them.

This thread reminds me about my DH working for Walmart in college. Every so often, managers would bring in pizza for the staff to have for dinner. Sometimes DH didn't even get a piece because people would take a whole pizza (or more!) home for their family.

This thread reminds me about my DH working for Walmart in college. Every so often, managers would bring in pizza for the staff to have for dinner. Sometimes DH didn't even get a piece because people would take a whole pizza (or more!) home for their family.

We've had that happen around here as well - folks who would squirrel away food from a pot luck or other lunch before people ever get to eat anything.

We've had that happen around here as well - folks who would squirrel away food from a pot luck or other lunch before people ever get to eat anything.

Nope, nope, nope. Office pot luck...not doing it. Not interested in being someone's cooking experiment guinea pig. :D When we have food catered, I don't eat it (nutrition thing), but if there are cookies or such left over when I go home I'll definitely grab some for the kids.

Costco samples can be a weekend snack or lunch depending on what's out when you go.

I'm always drinking the coffee that Hampton Inn has in their lobby, but like breakfast I figure that it's been added to my room rate.

At work we have free coffee, so I occasionally drink it.

Free samples elsewhere will depend on what it is, what store I'm at, and how sanitary it appears.

Kroger will place free bottles of water near their entrances during the summer. If it's hot and one is available I'll take one. Likewise they have a free piece of fruit shelf for kids under a certain height. If the boys are with me I'll let them have one of the items.

I view free samples as a marketing expense that I as the consumer ultimately pay for in the price of the item when purchased.

There is nothing free in this world.
lol true but in the samples I've sampled (pun intended) I've purchased a tiny percentage but yes the marketing has worked lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter