how far by yourself would your parents allow you to travel growing up?

I walked 3/4 of a mile to kindergarte, and was definitely roaming the neighborhood and closer park before then. Once in elementary I was free to walk almost everywhere.

Under 8 or so, we had to stay on property (we live in a rural area) 8-12 within a 10-15 minute bike ride of the house. Over 13 until we had our license, parents didn't care. We once biked into the city (2 hours each way) to get McDonalds. My grandmother lived in a more rural area. I remember walking to the other side of town to play with my cousins at 7 or 8. And we were boating in the Atlantic only a few years later.

As an older teen, went to Canada on a zillion hour bus ride.

Editing to say in normal terms - younger, child of the 80s, as far as my bike could go. Turned 16 in early 90s, as far as my car could go. Up and down the East coast. Fun times.

Last edited:

grew up in the era of free range childhood-whereever we could get by foot or bike so long as we periodically checked in with mom. of course the majority of women were housewives back then who had an unspoken 'neighborhood watch' operating so despite being a dozen or more blocks from home your mom knew you were under someone's watchful eye.

I drove 2 1/2 hours away to my grandparents house at 15 with my learners permit. I had my good friend who was 18 with me.

At around 10, I was all over the place. Plenty of kids to play with on my street. I'd be in and out of the house all day, taking off to different places. When the street lights came on, I had to be on my street.

I flew to Denver from O’Hare when I was 10 by myself, and then caught a shuttle to CSU in Ft. Collin’s to attend a summer STEM program. I was totally fine but nervous. I had always been a pretty independent kid as I had already had a paper route for 2 years. My mom knew I would never talk to anyone but when I think about it now it’s still a bit scary. The summer program was great and I’m happy I did it though.

I would walk to my elementary school growing up (about 8 blocks or so). Best part was stopping on the way back home to play pinball at the pizza joints.

as a child.....all around the neighborhood and to parks, stores, swimming pool on my bike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter