• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How easy is it to go back to ship at port to drop child off?

MiguelU

Earning My Ears
Doing the 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy, with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Castaway Cay. For some of these ports (like Cozumel), how feasible is it to go back to the ship after being out at port for an activity?

You see, we have a young child in our party, and the afternoon activity we want to do has an age limit. So we were thinking of going back to the ship and dropping them off at the kids club so they could spend the afternoon there. Is that something that is quick and feasible?

It's pretty quick assuming there isn't a long line. It's like a mini version of customs where you scan the key card of everyone coming back on, then put your stuff through an x-ray and walk through a metal detector.
at least that was my experience on the Wish. I'm assuming it's similar on the other DCL ships.

Many ship excursions will return you to the ship, putting you right at the entrance to the pier. It might take 5-10 minutes to get to the ship and just a few to get inboard.

If your excursion didn’t include food, a meal for the child, perhaps? Drop off at club and then head back out.

I wouldn’t call it quick.

It should be relatively quick to reboard the ship in Cozumel. Grand Cayman, however, is a tender port, so you would need to allow additional time to wait for the tender boats to fill and take you between the port and the ship.

It sounds like your morning will be spent on your own time then a Disney excursion in the afternoon? Is this correct?

We did the itinerary you’re taking in February. The pier is a good walk in Cozumel so you will need to leave time for that.

Also, my personal experience is that all Disney excursions meet somewhere on the ship to begin so all of your party would need to return to the ship to meet the excursion group. Has anyone experienced anything different?

As mentioned above, unless things have changed recently, DCL is not feeding kids in the clubs so you would be responsible to ensure the child is fed prior to arrival.

Personally, given all above and areas where lines could occur, I would head back to the ship a minimum of an hour before your excursion meet-up time.

Also, depending on the age of your child, they have to understand you can't just come and pick them up at the club. If your child asks to leave, the CMs might try to entertain them for a bit if you tell them you're not there, but it isn't their job to 'keep' them if they want to leave.

I honestly don’t know, is this allowed or does DCL have any stipulations that a parent must be reachable and able to respond within a short period of time? I mean, what if your child does not want to stay at the kids club and is crying to be picked up? What if the kid gets sick in the club? DCL can’t contact the parent for a few hours, so what do they do in those situations?

I honestly don’t know, is this allowed or does DCL have any stipulations that a parent must be reachable and able to respond within a short period of time? I mean, what if your child does not want to stay at the kids club and is crying to be picked up? What if the kid gets sick in the club? DCL can’t contact the parent for a few hours, so what do they do in those situations?
I would hope this is possible! So many of the port adventures have age limits, and if you have young kids (which I assume many families in DCL do!) then it would be difficult to participate in them otherwise.

DCL does allow children to be dropped off to secured programming and the parents leave the ship. I believe DCL will ask for a cell phone number in such situations, not that it helps much to be 30 minutes away on an excursion and receive a call that your child needs you. It is a personal decision that each family has to make and whether they are comfortable with it. Not only the parents but considering whether their children will be comfortable for an extended time in the nursery or Club/Lab.

This is actually a big reason I will never do it. Plus what happens if you get stuck and miss the ship. Then your child is on board and you're in another country. Too many "what ifs" that personally I'd never be able to relax. Only time I've ever left any of my kids on the ship was my youngest stayed on the ship in Nassau with his grandparents. That's a little different tho because in an emergency I fully trust my parents AND my child is very comfortable with them.

I'm a worrier. Its just how I'm programmed. I wouldn't be able to shut it off to be able to enjoy myself

This is actually a big reason I will never do it. Plus what happens if you get stuck and miss the ship. Then your child is on board and you're in another country. Too many "what ifs" that personally I'd never be able to relax. Only time I've ever left any of my kids on the ship was my youngest stayed on the ship in Nassau with his grandparents. That's a little different tho because in an emergency I fully trust my parents AND my child is very comfortable with them.

I'm a worrier. Its just how I'm programmed. I wouldn't be able to shut it off to be able to enjoy myself
I am with you, I’m the worrier too. I just couldn’t get off the ship for several hours and leave my kid on it—I couldn’t relax. Being on the ship while they are at the club is different because I am easily available in case something happens.

We did it at almost every port in Alaska, but there are no tenders and most docks are easily walkable from the main tourist area.

Also, just be aware that usually only either the Club or Lab are open when in port so your child will not be able to choose which side to play on when they are in there as the other side will usually be in Open House. How old is your child?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter