• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How early to arrive to be at front for Rope Drop?

BigOHawk

Mouseketeer
Long time WDW vet here, was at DL back in Mar 2020, that said how early should I be at park before posted park opening time to be at front of rope drop line? 60 minutes? We move quickly! Also no early entry on the days I'm planning to be there and I won't have Genie+.

I also see many different touring strategies and rope drop plans, any great threads or info on this for DL and/or DCA?

Long time WDW vet here, was at DL back in Mar 2020, that said how early should I be at park before posted park opening time to be at front of rope drop line? 60 minutes? We move quickly! Also no early entry on the days I'm planning to be there and I won't have Genie+.

I also see many different touring strategies and rope drop plans, any great threads or info on this for DL and/or DCA?
I have the same question. If staying at a Good Neighbor Hotel, when should we plan to arrive at the Esplanade?

Is 7am early enough on a day where Disneyland opens at 7:30am for on-site guests and 8am for all guests?

I've written about this before, but the situation has changed a bit with EE and such in the last few months. My friends and I make it a game to be the absolute first people through the turnstiles and onto Rise of the Resistance even beating the early entry guests. I've been first at the turnstile and rope for the last like 9 trips I've taken, and it brings me way more joy than it should to charge through the turnstile 10 seconds before everyone else.

Here's an overly detailed guide because I'm a nerd and enjoy this stuff.

There are 4 ways into the Esplanade:
1. From the Toy Story Parking Lot
2. From the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure
3. From Harbor Blvd (Off-site Hotels)
4. Through Downtown Disney (On-site Hotels)

My favorite way is coming in from Harbor - it's consistently the fastest way, in my experience, second only to coming out of the GCH hotel early. That's the method I'll outline in the most detail since it sounds like what you'll be doing.

There are 4 "layers" of opening in the morning.
1: The gates to the property (6-6:15 AM)
2: Bag Check (7-7:15 AM)
3: Turnstiles (Just before 7:30)
4: Rope Drop (8:00)

The gates to the property usually open around 6-6:15. I've only been there that early once or twice, so I am not certain on that opening time. There are rarely more than 10-20 people there that early, unless it's a holiday week season or something crazy. They will let you walk from those gates up to near bag check, and hold you there in 4 lines of people.

Somewhere between 7 and 7:15, they will open bag check - it varies by day. The 4 lines of people walk through the K-9 tent and then mass chaos breaks out as they split into like 15 bag check lines. Right about this time, the first Bus of guests from the Toy Story parking lot will be pulling in as well (and they'll have already done bag check before getting on the Bus). We always send 1-2 people right through bag check with no bags while the rest of us take care of all the bags - that way they grab the first spot in line at a turnstile.

After Bag Check, you're in the Esplanade proper. Line up at a turnstile, and wait there. Ideally, line up at a turnstile either on the far left or far right - you'll be closer to the tunnel into the park that way. Each "Gate" at the park entrance has 2 turnstiles behind it - sometimes the CMs want you to line up in 1 line for both turnstiles, other times they want you to form 2 lines, one for each turnstile. I always go for that second method (line up for an empty turnstile) - the worst that happens is you merge into line with everyone else and end up 3-5 people behind the front.

At 7:15-7:20, they will open the gates in front of the turnstiles and scan tickets for the first 15-20 people in line, but not let anyone in yet.

Some time a little before 7:30, the CMs will lead a countdown, then everyone can stampede into the park. Early entry guests will stay to the right on Main Street and head into Fantasyland/Tomorrowland. Everyone else lines up at a rope inside the Hub. The ropes are removed and you start your day usually 1-2 minutes before 8 AM.

So, when do you actually need to show up? To be THE FRONT of everyone, 6:20 AM. To be at the front of the line for the turnstiles, no later than 6:45 AM. To be almost the front at the Turnstiles (like 1-2 people deep at the rope drop) no later than 6:50 AM. If you're fine being near-ish to the Rope, a bit after 7 works well too.

Very few people come before 6:45. From 6:45-6:55, a ton of hotel guests show up. 6:45 is the sweet spot for being near the front of the line, but not waking up at 5 AM and questioning your life choices.

Is this overkill? Absolutely. Is it fun? Heck yeah, it is! I love the atmosphere early in the morning, and I also like the calm of just knowing "I'm at the front of the line. There is nothing to be stressed about."

TL;DR: To be almost at the front of Rope Drop:
Step 1: Line up outside Harbor Blvd bag checks before 6:45 AM. Most early risers show up between 6:45 and 7 AM.
Step 2: Send one bagless person through bag check to save a spot at a turnstile on the far left or right of the esplanade.
Step 3: Wait until entry/rope drop.
Step 4: Head for a big ride (Indiana Jones or Rise are my favorites) first - you'll be almost the first one there! Once you're done with that, the park will be nice and quiet for the next 90 minutes or so - just ride stuff and don't worry too much about "having a plan" - it's not nearly as cutthroat as WDW in the morning :)

PS - If you're driving in for a trip, park at a hotel on Harbor Blvd, not in official Disney parking! I like the Anaheim Hotel. It's a few $ cheaper, way faster, and way less stressful. And opens earlier which helps with an aggressive rope drop.

Last edited:

I've written about this before, but the situation has changed a bit with EE and such in the last few months. My friends and I make it a game to be the absolute first people through the turnstiles and onto Rise of the Resistance even beating the early entry guests. I've been first at the turnstile and rope for the last like 9 trips I've taken, and it brings me way more joy than it should to charge through the turnstile 10 seconds before everyone else.

My favorite way is coming in from Harbor - it's consistently the fastest way, in my experience, second only to coming out of the GCH hotel early. That's the method I'll outline in the most detail since it sounds like what you'll be doing.

The gates to the property usually open around 6-6:15. I've only been there that early once or twice, so I am not certain on that opening time. There are rarely more than 10-20 people there that early, unless it's a holiday week season or something crazy. They will let you walk from those gates up to near bag check, and hold you there in 4 lines of people.

Somewhere between 7 and 7:15, they will open bag check - it varies by day. The 4 lines of people walk through the K-9 tent and then mass chaos breaks out as they split into like 15 bag check lines. Right about this time, the first Bus of guests from the Toy Story parking lot will be pulling in as well (and they'll have already done bag check before getting on the Bus). We always send 1-2 people right through bag check with no bags while the rest of us take care of all the bags - that way they grab the first spot in line at a turnstile.

After Bag Check, you're in the Esplanade proper. Line up at a turnstile, and wait there. Ideally, line up at a turnstile either on the far left or far right - you'll be closer to the tunnel into the park that way. Each "Gate" at the park entrance has 2 turnstiles behind it - sometimes the CMs want you to line up in 1 line for both turnstiles, other times they want you to form 2 lines, one for each turnstile. I always go for that second method (line up for an empty turnstile) - the worst that happens is you merge into line with everyone else and end up 3-5 people behind the front.

At 7:15-7:20, they will open the gates in front of the turnstiles and scan tickets for the first 15-20 people in line, but not let anyone in yet.

Some time a little before 7:30, the CMs will lead a countdown, then everyone can stampede into the park. Early entry guests will stay to the right on Main Street and head into Fantasyland/Tomorrowland. Everyone else lines up at a rope inside the Hub. The ropes are removed and you start your day usually 1-2 minutes before 8 AM.

So, when do you actually need to show up? To be THE FRONT of everyone, 6:20 AM. To be at the front of the line for the turnstiles, no later than 6:45 AM. To be almost the front at the Turnstiles (like 1-2 people deep at the rope drop) no later than 6:50 AM. If you're fine being near-ish to the Rope, a bit after 7 works well too.

Very few people come before 6:45. From 6:45-6:55, a ton of hotel guests show up. 6:45 is the sweet spot for being near the front of the line, but not waking up at 5 AM and questioning your life choices.

Is this overkill? Absolutely. Is it fun? Heck yeah, it is! I love the atmosphere early in the morning, and I also like the clam of just knowing "I'm at the front of the line. There is nothing to be stressed about.

Step 1: Line up outside Harbor Blvd bag checks before 6:45 AM. Most early risers show up between 6:45 and 7 AM.
Step 2: Send one bagless person through bag check to save a spot at a turnstile on the far left or right of the esplanade.
Step 4: Head for a big ride (Indiana Jones or Rise are my favorites) first - you'll be almost the first one there! Once you're done with that, the park will be nice and quiet for the next 90 minutes or so - just ride stuff and don't worry too much about "having a plan" - it's not nearly as cutthroat as WDW in the morning :)
Wow, this is so helpful! Thanks for taking the time to write it all down. Our "Rope Drop" has usually been getting to the esplanade by 7:30. Now that my kids are older I want to try to get there for actual rope drop.

You shared a lot about how to be first (or close to it) at RD. But you didn’t mention how you manage to be ten seconds ahead of everyone else through the turnstile. So: what’s the secret?
I'm first in line, I have 4 family members behind me keeping the rest of the line waiting :P

We are DVC members so regularly stay on site. We usually arrive at security no later than 6:45, usually around 6:30. After going through security, we walk at a brisk pace to the gates. As a previous poster mentioned, we tend to go for a gate to the far right of left so we are closer to a tunnel. We always joke that rope dropping is a 4 step process. Step 1 security, Step 2 Gates, Step 3 actually rope, Step 4 your first attraction. We are usually the first ones at a gate and often in the first group of the attraction that we choose to ride first.

Does anyone know if there is a specific security line or gate that those in a wheelchair use? My husband is paraplegic and cannot walk at all. We plan to arrive for rope drop but want to be prepared. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a specific security line or gate that those in a wheelchair use? My husband is paraplegic and cannot walk at all. We plan to arrive for rope drop but want to be prepared. Thanks!
You can use any entrance. There is a gate at every turnstile to accommodate wheelchairs and strollers. The CM will open it for you after they scan your ticket.

If you’re staying in the Grand Californian, is it better to use that entry, or the esplanade entry?

Is this overkill? Absolutely. Is it fun? Heck yeah, it is! I love the atmosphere early in the morning, and I also like the clam of just knowing "I'm at the front of the line. There is nothing to be stressed about.

Awesome info, thanks much! What is your preferred order for rides following Rope Drop for a family of 4 that moves quickly and won't have Genie+? Will also be there on a non EE Day.

Awesome info, thanks much! What is your preferred order for rides following Rope Drop for a family of 4 that moves quickly and won't have Genie+? Will also be there on a non EE Day.
Do you care about doing many (or any?) of the fantasyland dark rides, or are you more there for the big rides?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter