How early do you plan your UOR trip?

FeistyDisneyMom

DIS Veteran
My 8 yr old is a huge Harry Potter fan, and I'm tentatively planning a trip for her 11th birthday to UOR primarily to see the Wizarding World. How early do folks normally start planning those for real and doing hotel packages and whatnot? We'd probably be going in February. I've planned multiple DLR vacations and a WDW trip, but never done UOR so I am a complete newbie!

If you are going the first week of February you should be fine waiting until a few months out. If you are going Presidents Day weekend or later and have a specific resort in mind then I would get your hotel secured by early Fall. It is very easy to cancel a Universal hotel reservation and make a new one if plans change.

At Universal a package usually doesn’t save any money and can be more of a pain to reschedule or cancel if plans change. Price everything separately before getting a package.

Last edited:
Planning UO/IOA is a lot less stressful and can be more flexible. I'm a deal hunter but I found this year that booking in advance with the Savvy Traveler rates saved hundreds of dollars per night versus waiting for the AP rates to drop. I also waited to book tickets until I could get the buy 3, get 2 free deal. The only dining reservations that were tricky were Cowfish and Toothsome, but the concierge at the hotel was even able to help me with the latter. The best part about UO/IOA with the deluxe hotels is the included Express Pass, so you don't have to plan your day to the last minute and can improvise a bit. One thing we did book each day was a sit-down lunch, and I'm really glad we did because it was a nice break each day away from the crowds.

Planning UO/IOA is a lot less stressful and can be more flexible. I'm a deal hunter but I found this year that booking in advance with the Savvy Traveler rates saved hundreds of dollars per night versus waiting for the AP rates to drop. I also waited to book tickets until I could get the buy 3, get 2 free deal. The only dining reservations that were tricky were Cowfish and Toothsome, but the concierge at the hotel was even able to help me with the latter. The best part about UO/IOA with the deluxe hotels is the included Express Pass, so you don't have to plan your day to the last minute and can improvise a bit. One thing we did book each day was a sit-down lunch, and I'm really glad we did because it was a nice break each day away from the crowds.
Sounds like good advice -- I just booked a room only reservation for early February (I realize that was early, but I am a disney girl and old habits die hard). Where should I be watching for deals on passes? I have the luxury of time, I wonder if there are any black friday deals on those?

Sounds like good advice -- I just booked a room only reservation for early February (I realize that was early, but I am a disney girl and old habits die hard). Where should I be watching for deals on passes? I have the luxury of time, I wonder if there are any black friday deals on those?
It's random, but I watched the boards and found out about it that way, and then I think I got a promotion email from UO about it like a week or two later.

February is when Universal starts their Mardi Gras event- think Food and Wine style food booths with a nightly Mardi Gras parade where they throw beads from the floats. They will have concerts on Saturday nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter