• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How early can you arrive for resort ADR when parking (driving own car)?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
We have family from out of town visiting and I finally got us a spot for chef Mickey breakfast at 1120. I am taking them here to give them a Disney experience without having park tickets. I was wondering if I could take them early to the contemporary to take a ride around the monorail before breakfast and maybe even walk in the lobby of the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Does anyone think that the guard would have an issue if we arrived an hour or two early before our reservation if we just explain that we wanted to walk around the hotel a little before breakfast?

I do know that when we had reservations at Jiko, we showed up almost exactly 1 hour early, before the restaurant even opened.

If they give you a tough time at the gate, head over to the Poly, park there and take the monorail over. They won't give you a hard time over there and you would be basically doing the same thing, just from a different starting point. I don't think you will have too much trouble though since you have a reservation.

If they give you a tough time at the gate, head over to the Poly, park there and take the monorail over. They won't give you a hard time over there and you would be basically doing the same thing, just from a different starting point. I don't think you will have too much trouble though since you have a reservation.
They won't let you park at the resorts if you don't have a dining reservation. They will turn you away, especially at the MK resorts. People were parking at the hotels instead of paying the parking fee at the TTC so now they are super strict about it.

They won't let you park at the resorts if you don't have a dining reservation. They will turn you away, especially at the MK resorts. People were parking at the hotels instead of paying the parking fee at the TTC so now they are super strict about it.
They turn you away without a res at the Contemporary for sure. Its an easy walk to MK so they are very strict. I have never been denied at the Poly. Not once have they turned me away. Although, I am also staying somewhere on property every time I go there. I am sure that helps.

Last edited:
Great was hoping for these answers. I am an AP so I have free parking anyways just wanted to kind of show them a little something different before breakfast! Thanks for sharing your experiences!!!

They turn you away without a res at the Contemporary for sure. Its an easy walk to MK so they are very strict. I have never been denied at the Poly. Not once have they turned me away. Although, I am also staying somewhere on property every time I go there. I am sure that helps.
They should be turning you away. They didn't even want to let me into AKL even though I was staying on property at another DVC resort. You need a dining reservation. If you got lucky, great. But that is no way typical, as many others have said. To make a blanket statement, that goes against Disney policy if not something we should be doing.

You have "about" three hours, but they also know that people like to linger over their foods. We usually get to our ADR about an hour ahead of time so we can get checked in; you never know if they will call you earlier! We then tend to ride around for a bit!

Make sure to go to the Grand and do the free hand scrub at Basin; its one of our favorite things to do!! (and we ALWAYS end up picking something to bring home)

They should be turning you away. They didn't even want to let me into AKL even though I was staying on property at another DVC resort. You need a dining reservation. If you got lucky, great. But that is no way typical, as many others have said. To make a blanket statement, that goes against Disney policy if not something we should be doing.
There is nothing that I have said that goes against Disney policy and it is not a "blanket statement". I simply stated what I have done, what has has happened to me, and my observations. I don't see the issue in passing my info along to help another family out. I am sorry your experiences are not the same as mine. There is no need to get upset over it.

My family wanted to check out the Riviera last trip. They wouldn't let us through the gate. Same thing happened when we wanted to see if we could slide into Sebastian's without a res. Someone we talked to suggested we take the skyliner over. I knew this already but its nice when you get a little help. That is all I am doing here. We are not trying to bypass anything, nor am I suggesting anyone should.

There is nothing that I have said that goes against Disney policy and it is not a "blanket statement". I simply stated what I have done, what has has happened to me, and my observations. I don't see the issue in passing my info along to help another family out. I am sorry your experiences are not the same as mine. There is no need to get upset over it.

My family wanted to check out the Riviera last trip. They wouldn't let us through the gate. Same thing happened when we wanted to see if we could slide into Sebastian's without a res. Someone we talked to suggested we take the skyliner over. I knew this already but its nice when you get a little help. That is all I am doing here. We are not trying to bypass anything, nor am I suggesting anyone should.
This has been talked about a lot for many years. They can and will turn you away if you don't have a dining reservation. They even turn people away that are using ride share, and not even parking there. You are the first person in years that I have seen say that a resort just lets you park there without any kind of reservation. Especially at the Poly, where they are known for having a small parking lot and have issues with guests staying there not have any spaces left.

This has been talked about a lot for many years. They can and will turn you away if you don't have a dining reservation. They even turn people away that are using ride share, and not even parking there. You are the first person in years that I have seen say that a resort just lets you park there without any kind of reservation. Especially at the Poly, where they are known for having a small parking lot and have issues with guests staying there not have any spaces left.

We have parked many times without a reservation, but incidentally never at Poly - we have tried to go to Trader Sams and were always turned away. Contemporary has never been an issue for us :laughing:

OP: This debate goes on and on and my advice to people is always the same: the only opinion that matters is the guard at the gate. This goes for parking without a reservation, entry early with a dining reservation, or grabbing an Uber to check things out. Won't know until you try and it's always wise to have a backup plan if you're turned away.

Personally, I would do the monorail ride after the meal, if your schedule after the meal is open. There is always a slim chance that you could be delayed on the monorail and you don’t want the stress of worrying about your ADR time if that happens. I have only had issues with monorail delays maybe three times in all the years I have been going to Disney, but it can happen. Plus you won’t have to rush while looking around the Poly and GF. Just something to consider . . .

I drove to BC, another notoriously strict hotel, a couple of weeks ago for a reservation at Beaches and Cream. I arrived almost exactly a half hour before my reservation and did not have an issue parking. I was concerned about pushing it any earlier than that. I wanted to be parked and in the building before checking in for my reservation online, and you can do that 20 minutes prior to your booking.

Personally, I would do the monorail ride after the meal, if your schedule after the meal is open. There is always a slim chance that you could be delayed on the monorail and you don’t want the stress of worrying about your ADR time if that happens. I have only had issues with monorail delays maybe three times in all the years I have been going to Disney, but it can happen. Plus you won’t have to rush while looking around the Poly and GF. Just something to consider . . .
THIS^ You never know when there will be a squirrel on the track! adding 45+ minutes to the trip. :rolleyes:

Arrive just ahead of ADR means no parking issues, monorail crawl after means no delay issues.

I agree with hitting up the other resorts after breakfast. Takes away any chance of refusal. Everyone has had different experiences with parking it seems. Honestly its a shame we can't just go to a resort to enjoy it whenever we please. I understand why they do what they do. It is pretty much necessary but hurts the people that are being legit for wanting to actually be there.

You can mobile order a small item from Captain Cook’s, and then you tell the guard you have a food order ready, and you will be allowed in with showing a driver’s license - we’ve done this more than once.

ETA….you can’t do this at The Contemporary because only Contemporary guests can place a mobile order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter