• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How does opening at the Safari ride work?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
Given that Safari ride is not an early entry ride,how do they handle it's opening? Do they let people line up inside the queue prior to 8:00 a.m., make people wait outside the entrance until 8:00 a.m. or is there some other way it is handled? Giving that early entry people can hang out around the entrance starting at 7:30 if they wanted to, I was just curious how Ilit worked.

Thanks for the help!

Yes I am pretty sure that you can queue up during early entry, and then at regular park open (or maybe a few minutes before) they will start letting people on the ride.

Yes I am pretty sure that you can queue up during early entry, and then at regular park open (or maybe a few minutes before) they will start letting people on the ride.
That sounds about right. I did it last year. I got to the park about 7:40 and headed straight for KS, knowing that it wouldn't open until 8:00. Since I wasn't in a hurry, there were a bunch of people in front of me by the time I got to Africa. I was about half way between Dawa Bar and Kusafari Bakery (I think that's the name). I don't think people were in the KS line, held outside the ride (but I could be wrong). Shortly before 8:00 was when, I thought, they let people actually get in line so that by the time they got to the jeeps, it was 8:00. Because I was in the ECV line, we actually had to wait a few extra minutes at the loading dock, because the jeep for us wasn't out yet. But it was worth the wait. In the MANY times I've done the Safari (it's my favorite ride at WDW), it was the first time I've heard the male lion roaring.

They que you up outside of the regular line then open the line at official open time for that ride. Sometimes they will do a straight que but I've seen them do the snake like que where you are two or three deep. It looks long but since you are actually outside of the regular que area it's not really. Think rope drop but with actual lines instead of everyone milling about.

Last week they had us queue up outside of the regular line. It did switch back a bit, but when they opened the regular line up at 8am we pretty much walked right through. We had time to do Navi River Journey at early entry then walk over to the Safari line.
Great suggestion/info. Thank you

That sounds about right. I did it last year. I got to the park about 7:40 and headed straight for KS, knowing that it wouldn't open until 8:00. Since I wasn't in a hurry, there were a bunch of people in front of me by the time I got to Africa. I was about half way between Dawa Bar and Kusafari Bakery (I think that's the name). I don't think people were in the KS line, held outside the ride (but I could be wrong). Shortly before 8:00 was when, I thought, they let people actually get in line so that by the time they got to the jeeps, it was 8:00. Because I was in the ECV line, we actually had to wait a few extra minutes at the loading dock, because the jeep for us wasn't out yet. But it was worth the wait. In the MANY times I've done the Safari (it's my favorite ride at WDW), it was the first time I've heard the male lion roaring.
We've done the safari a lot, probably multiples times during every hour of the day it's ever operated. (It's my favorite ride at Disney) Hearing him roar is so uncommon. We have been lucky a handful of times, most recently was in July and at 3 in the afternoon of all times. Most other times were evening/later night safaris, back when they did those.

We need someone to ride rode drop to park close for several weeks during multiple seasons and document exact times when they roar.
What a great idea! I did ride from park opening to safari close, but only for one day. I think I rode a total of 10 or 11 times. This was back in the days of FP machines. I'd pull a FP, get in line and ride stand-by if there was time , then ride FP. As soon as I got off, I'd pull another FP and kept doing this all day. All I remember is that the lion never roared and that the animals were most active that day, not in the morning, but right around lunch time.

this is how we have seen it work. So, at EE, go do something else that will take a few minutes, then get in line before the park opens. Even if you are slightly late getting there, most of the crowd is headed to FoP, so you are still good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter