How does non-DCL cruise insurance work?

I booked a 12/2018 Fantasy for myself, my husband, and my daughter. She will be 18 at that time and finishing her first semester of college. Since we don't know what life will look like for her at that point, I was thinking that "cancel for any reason" would be good for her, but my husband and I do not need that coverage. We could always go without her (as long as it's not a medical reason).

Is it possible/allowed to purchase insurance for her separately and with different coverage even if she is the 3rd person in our room and we were all booked together? Has anyone done this before?

Correct, pre-existing refers to the point in time when you purchase the insurance. Any newly-diagnosed issue occurring after you purchase the policy and before you cruise would not require a pre-existing waiver but be determined based on the basic policy.

If you purchase the policy 12 months prior to sailing. Then have a heart attack 6 months prior to sailing. Then 2 weeks prior to sailing your doctor says "no cruise" due to related cardiac concerns. None of that requires a pre-existing condition waiver.

Enjoy your cruise!

This shows the drawback to waiting until just before your PIF date to get insurance. If you buy insurance right away when you book the trip, and then a year later, something happens that causes you to cancel, no problem. But if you book a trip, postpone getting insurance, and then have a medical issue that LATER causes you to miss the trip, you won't be able to get the insurance at the PIF date because now you have a PEC. After all, that is WHY insurance purchased later costs less, because in the 15 months leading up to the PIF date, YOU are taking all the risk. Sure you can cancel the trip before the PIF due to the diagnosis, but you can't get insurance for after the PIF that will cover the newly discovered condition. That is one of the reasons we get insurance right away when we book a big trip. Another is the slippery definition of "pre-existing condition" see below.

Yes, I believe your BP would be considered a pre-existing condition.

This is the second problem with waiting. What is a pre-existing condition? And what did it "cause." Blood Pressure is a good example. There are lots of others. You don't have to be 65+ to have a bunch of previous medical issues that could flare up or be SAID to have caused other things. It is an insurance battle waiting to happen.

I booked a 12/2018 Fantasy for myself, my husband, and my daughter. She will be 18 at that time and finishing her first semester of college. Since we don't know what life will look like for her at that point, I was thinking that "cancel for any reason" would be good for her, but my husband and I do not need that coverage. We could always go without her (as long as it's not a medical reason).

Is it possible/allowed to purchase insurance for her separately and with different coverage even if she is the 3rd person in our room and we were all booked together? Has anyone done this before?

You can definitely get different polices for different people in the same stateroom. We have done it. If fact, if people in the same room have different home addresses, you may have to get separate policies. Just keep in mind, if you are eligible for one policy, that might be a cheaper option even for a higher level of coverage. Have them price it out each way.

Last edited:

Does anyone have any suggestions for good insurances for Preexisting? Wanna know price range when I go to book.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good insurances for Preexisting? Wanna know price range when I go to book.
Those companies that have policies that cover pre-existing conditions are many. And the prices are just as varied, depending on what they cover, and how much you want coverage for. You'd just have to do a search on one of the various travel insurance comparison sites, and see what you get.

It's not so much that companies charge more to cover pre-existing conditions, it is just that they usually insist you buy the insurance within 2 weeks (or so) of when you make the reservations. So for people who say they don't buy insurance until their Paid in Full date comes up, that is a problem, but if you haven't booked your cruise yet and you buy the insurance right after that, you shouldn't have any problems getting coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Ok, sorry to drag up my old post, but figured better to add to this one than to add another....

So, I'm comparing Travel Insurance between Squaremouth, InsureMy Trip, Travel Guard (Costco) and USAA (for In-Laws).

Obviously, I no longer qualify for the "cancel for any reason" converge. I'm more concerned now about one of us getting sick (flu, strep, etc) right before the trip and having to cancel. I do have school aged children after all. Or a death in the family (my grandmother isn't "sick", but she has been on oxygen for some time now, and my in-laws aren't spring chicks anymore.... :( )
On their sites it asks for "Trip Cost" defined: Trip Cost refers to the total prepaid and non-refundable expenses already submitted toward the trip regardless of who booked the arrangements. This does not include estimated or anticipated costs that have not yet been paid.

It wants a breakdown per person...

However, I do not have this break down anywhere. I have the deposit that I paid to my TA, but have not paid anything else and honestly, probably won't until PIF date.

Any insight will be helpful.

Also, any other 3rd party Insurance sites I should look at?

TIA!

Ok, sorry to drag up my old post, but figured better to add to this one than to add another....

So, I'm comparing Travel Insurance between Squaremouth, InsureMy Trip, Travel Guard (Costco) and USAA (for In-Laws).

Obviously, I no longer qualify for the "cancel for any reason" converge. I'm more concerned now about one of us getting sick (flu, strep, etc) right before the trip and having to cancel. I do have school aged children after all. Or a death in the family (my grandmother isn't "sick", but she has been on oxygen for some time now, and my in-laws aren't spring chicks anymore.... :( )
On their sites it asks for "Trip Cost" defined: Trip Cost refers to the total prepaid and non-refundable expenses already submitted toward the trip regardless of who booked the arrangements. This does not include estimated or anticipated costs that have not yet been paid.

It wants a breakdown per person...

However, I do not have this break down anywhere. I have the deposit that I paid to my TA, but have not paid anything else and honestly, probably won't until PIF date.

Any insight will be helpful.

Also, any other 3rd party Insurance sites I should look at?

TIA!

You can always add to your insurance policy. Just put in what is paid and non-refundable at this point and buy your insurance based on that. Once you add more, non-refundable payments, simply call the company and let them know your trip costs have increased and you need to increase the coverage for your trip. They will most likely, then, have you e-mail them with the info letting them know what the additional costs are and that you authorize them to add to the insurance. I purchase insurance for an upcoming trip from https://www.travelinsured.com (I've purchased multiple policies from them) and my costs recently increased and this is exactly what I did. There is zero reason to insure anything that is refundable at this point. If there are any costs that are non-refundable currently, simply insure those costs and then add to the policy as you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter