• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you remove button shanks?

ilovedale3

<font color=blue>It's a secret how I <b>really</b>
I bought some decorative buttons that will look so cute in a layout (the buttons are these little cat paws, cat dishes, etc.). While some of the buttons are flat, some have the plastic shank (you know, the hole thingy that the thread is supposed to go through) on the back. How do I get rid of those so that the button lies flat? TIA!!!

I would get my husband to grind them off with a drimmel or some other type tool. You may be able to snip them off with wire cutters but I would be afraid of breaking the button doing that so I wouldn't try it if I didn't have any spare buttons.

Hope that helps.

They do make a button shank remover. You can find them at any scrapbooking store as well as places that sell crafts like JoAnn's or Michaels.

disneydreamer98 said:
They do make a button shank remover. You can find them at any scrapbooking store as well as places that sell crafts like JoAnn's or Michaels.

I thought that I had seen one of those once at Hobby Lobby! I was in there today though and looked around and didn't see one. I asked someone working there and they looked at me like I was crazy. I tried Jo-Anns and Michaels and got the same response. So I got to thinking that I was just dreaming up a button shank remover. I am glad to know that I am not hallucinating (even though the workers at all of those stores seem to think so).

ilovedale3 said:
I thought that I had seen one of those once at Hobby Lobby! I was in there today though and looked around and didn't see one. I asked someone working there and they looked at me like I was crazy. I tried Jo-Anns and Michaels and got the same response. So I got to thinking that I was just dreaming up a button shank remover. I am glad to know that I am not hallucinating (even though the workers at all of those stores seem to think so).

I live in Southeast Michigan and we have a Joann's Etc and they carry them. They were actually right by all their buttons...the decorative ones that they sell with the shanks. Do you have any scrapbook stores near you? I would try there. No...you are not hallucinating, they do exist, I have one! Good luck!

I have used a heavy duty wire cutter and it works just great!
:cool1: :cool1:

I think I am going to try some of the other suggestions first before I go buy the shank remover. I also read somewhere that I could use an old pair of nail clippers. At least these options will be cheaper!

Now... off to ask DH if he has some wire cutters I can borrow :teeth:

I bought some for our boys to make a craft with. DH used a file tool he had.

For their craft we used hot glue but what do you use to keep them in place on your scrapbook pages? I'd like to use them on my pages! :flower:

Belle0101 said:
I bought some for our boys to make a craft with. DH used a file tool he had.

For their craft we used hot glue but what do you use to keep them in place on your scrapbook pages? I'd like to use them on my pages! :flower:

I am planning to use glue dots. That seems to be what I have seen used in CK magazine layouts.

I love using buttons and glue dots work very well! :flower:
My DH gave me a little tool. He's asleep or I'd ask him the name. I think it is something inexpensive. Its small with a flat head where the sides meet. Maybe its some version of a wire cutter but I think of wire cutters with a needle nose. :confused3
Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter