How do you justify the finances taking a Disney World trip?

It most certainly would for us! That would cover a full year at retail cost, to our local 4 year college (no room or board, just tuition and fees/books).

I personally could never justify spending that much on a vacation for a week, but I have NO CLUE what your finances are.

I am relating this to the current pricing of in-state fees for 15 class hours for a bachelors of engineering degree at The University of Texas at Austin, which is supposedly one of the cheaper public universities in the US. $10-12k may cover what they call "tuition" for one semester. However, once you add in the fees for each class (at a minimum a few hundred dollars per class for 4-6 classes) that are not included in the "tuition" price and not to mention books that cost at least a couple of hundred per class, you won't cover a semester for that. I am not even considering room and board or transportation fees. Plus, she has multiple grandkids.

I was not trying to be snotty at all, just realistic, and my response/advice was for the OP, not you. We don't spend that much on our vacations either, but there are only 3 of us going. I also said if she could afford it. I don't personally recommend going into debt for vacations. I don't care what you do or don't do with your money, and since you didn't ask for my opinion, the OP did ask for opinions, I didn't give it to you.

I am relating this to the current pricing of in-state fees for 15 class hours for a bachelors of engineering degree at The University of Texas at Austin, which is supposedly one of the cheaper public universities in the US. $10-12k may cover what they call "tuition" for one semester. However, once you add in the fees for each class (at a minimum a few hundred dollars per class for 4-6 classes) that are not included in the "tuition" price and not to mention books that cost at least a couple of hundred per class, you won't cover a semester for that. I am not even considering room and board or transportation fees. Plus, she has multiple grandkids.

I was not trying to be snotty at all, just realistic, and my response/advice was for the OP, not you. We don't spend that much on our vacations either, but there are only 3 of us going. I also said if she could afford it. I don't personally recommend going into debt for vacations. I don't care what you do or don't do with your money, and since you didn't ask for my opinion, the OP did ask for opinions, I didn't give it to you.

The NO CLUE was for the OP, not towards you. And I was simply saying that $10K is a lot of money for ME. Sorry if you thought that was meant as some sort of assault towards you, that wasn't my intention at all.

I haven't read all the responses, but I have no problem spending a good chunk of money on vacation. With that said my kids loved Dollywood just as much as wdw and really don't get the thrill that many seem to get on these boards, so everyone is different. They picked cape cod/boston over another wdw trip and want to go to Hawaii and England up next on their list, so I don't see us gping back anytime soon. I know others who think a wdw vacation is a must at every year or every other year and while I feel that way, the rest of my family feels differently. I can honestly say that every vacation is magical...wdw does not own the market there, but they are just magical for different reasons. Sometimes wdw is hot, annoying and crowded and in that respect no other place we have vacationed to is as bad as wdw when it is bad....if that makes sense. I feel that I never have to justify extra money for a vacation if it is something we truly want to do. We work hard, bills are paid and the memories are always with it regardless of where the vacation is. Honestly I think any destination you pick would be magical.

We will not go into debt for this vacation. I just have real practical values and vacation is not a must do, but a can do.

I'm 80% percent sure we will take the Disney World trip. Everyone has been helpful about making this decision. I was probably 50-50 before starting the post. I was on the fence; so, I felt different opinions would be good to hear.

Hi Bete!

I think it's wonderful what you are planning, but yes, the amount you are looking at spending is significant. Here are some thoughts.

- Definitely rent a scooter through a private company instead of the Disney ones. On our last trip, we got my father one for $75/week instead of the $50/day Disney rate. The customer service was fantastic and they deliver the scooter to the hotel. Also, if there is any thought that one or both of you might soon need a full time scooter, look around to find one used. After using them on 2 Disney trips, my father loved it so much that he got one used for $100. Now we'll always have them on Disney trips!
- On the same note, consider getting one for yourself if there is any chance you will want it. My mom started using my dad's and while she doesn't NEED it, she feels a lot better at the end of the day when she uses it. The grandkids love it too, so all the more reason to have two. I can't tell you how many times the kids have argued over who gets to ride on the scooter with grandpa!
- If you must get a dining plan, any consideration for getting the quick service dining plan and paying out of pocket for just a couple character meals? If you paid for 2 character meals, you'd still save money over getting the regular plan. Personally I am one of the ones who'd never pay for the dining plan (but would take it for free!) both because it's a LOT of food, but also because I don't like spending that much time in the restaurants. It seems like every table service meal takes at least two hours out of the day.
- I also think you'll be able to bring down the price, as you've said. If you try a little bit, you can probably get it down to $8000-9000. If you try a lot, you can do even better. Looking at the "how much do you pay OOP" thread, $1000-$1200 per person for a week seems relatively normal and that amount lines up with my personal experience as well. Check the price tracker function on kayak.com for airfares to decide when to buy, buy cheap souvenirs for the kid's ahead of time, etc. All the savings will add up!
- I know you say you want to stay on site, but I recommend at least looking at offsite locations. There are some gorgeous resorts where you can get 2 bedroom suites for $1000/week. Or, you can rent one of the Disney themed houses for possibly even less. My family always stays close to the Disney Springs area because it's convenient and we spend our first and last day (non-park days) there. We LOVE some of the massive resorts because we can make a hearty breakfast in the room, the kids adore the pools, and we can do laundry in the suite.

Just some thoughts! Have fun planning!

Last edited:
Its getting harder and harder as the kids grow from childs rates to adult rates and the prices going up every year..We just try to cut corners as much as possible..we went from going just about every year to now every other year...

My niece's kids are about to turn 5 & 7. They went to WDW when they were 3 & 5. They definitely remember the trip -- they still talk about it & ask to go back. Nephew's kids are about the same age. My dad, great-grandpa to all these kids, passed away 5 months ago at age 85. All 4 kids loved their "papa" sooo much. They remember him, talk about all the fun times with him, how much they miss him & how things just aren't the same without him. Actually, the memories of the great-grand kids with my dad mean so much to the whole family: my mom, sisters & kids parent's.

OP, I say take those kids & enjoy every minute with them. They may surprise you with how much they will remember. And some day, those memories will mean even more.

I think it is really cool you have been on so many trips yourself. I'm sure you definitely know the ins and outs. Speaking as someone who took a 4 year old, I think what others are saying about meals is right on target. Little ones don't want to sit that long. We went to Crystal Palace the first trip and Chef Mickey the next year. That was enough. We saw other characters out in the parks and ate counter service most of the time. We also kept kid food in the room, like apple sauce cups, etc. for our child. It was hot so he didn't have his usual appetite.

As far as souvenirs, consider having the kids pose for pics with things they like. Then tell them at the end of the trip you will let them pick out a couple favorites from the pictures. That will put a stop to impulse buying and will make it like a game to them. Buy some fun toys before you go and leave them out each day. That helps cut down on begging too.

I will probably go with quick service as most everyone is suggesting. We can do OOP for any character meals. That will give us some extra credits on meals for a third meal on a day or use for our arrival day. Hubby and I will probably want to do the Candlelight Processional meal package, too even if it's without the great grandkids. I don't want to spend a long time on meals. I'm listening to suggestions.

I keep thinking how the money would be better spent in a college fund. This would be a big amount for us that could go towards their education. I was thinking it might be better to compromise and go to Dollywood and enjoy the Smokies with them for probably half the cost.

It's funny you said that about the college fund. Maybe 10 years ago, I was having breakfast in CMC and one of the waiters (he was an older regular, I recognized him from past trips) said to another server, "look at them all here, spending their kids' college funds". I thought it was rude of him since he was making good money off of these people! I still remember it.

From what you are saying, your estimates, although they seem high, are probably accurate. You can probably cut some money off the price. I would not do a dining plan, and maybe just do one character meal. I would watch hotel prices, and I would most definitely go during value season. It's a very individual decision and I don't think anyone can tell you what to do one way or the other.

Another idea is that you could send your greatgrands and their parents without you and your husband. With small kids they could do a budget trip off season in a budget hotel on site.

We did a party of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids) last summer for about $8000. We did a TS meal every day, including 2 character meal; that was about $1500. About $2800 was tickets. About $400 for snacks. About $3000 for two rooms (discounted deluxe, could have been a lot less in a value). We bought groceries for in room breakfast, snacks, and lunch most days. That was about $200. We drove, so no airfare. If we had, then we would probably have been at the $10K the OP mentioned. However, we were able to save about $1000 off of our total with discounted gift cards and credit card rewards. Next time we may look at fewer TS or a cheaper hotel if prices continue to go up this much.

I think I can beat my numbers, too. This was a budget without any deals. I wanted to see worse scenario. I'll make sure we get a deal. Paying full price for a room and the dining plan can make the numbers soar.

I can see my great grandchildren easily spending $25/day each on souvenirs. To say no would put a damper on the trip. We would have some special experiences, too like the dessert party at MK. We will go to MVMCP. I know we will spend more than normal.

I started the post because I had mixed feelings about spending the money on a vacation. College fund aside, the extra money could go towards their first car someday and so forth. It's a debate between going for the moment or the long run.

The kid in me is winning so far.

Another vote for going, with no guilt! I could fund college or buy a car with my own money (though it would take a little longer) but would not be able to get those memories of a fun trip with grandparents and great grandparents. If you have the money, then those memories will be priceless to both your grandchildren and great grandchildren!

I would suggest looking into renting DVC points - depending on when you're going, it should end up being less expensive than 2 rooms at a Value.

Also, I would ditch the dining plan (unless you can get it free) and just opt to book 2 character meals during the week. If you have DVC, you can have a full breakfast in room before heading out to park in the morning saving you a little $ there as well.

Let me first say that hubby and I have been to Disney World over 40 times throughout the years. We have been very lucky to have gone when prices seemed to be more reasonable in years past. We have not been for 4 years. To me it seems prices have gotten outrageous.

I just started playing around with a budget for hubby and I, our great 2 grandchildren and their parents for a week at Disney World in December 2016. Hubby will be turning 80 soon. He can do the parks with a scooter. I can probably get a long without one. If we don't do it now it may never happen. I think the next few years will be it for us traveling to Florida from the Midwest.

Anyway, this looks like it can cost us between $10000 to $12000 staying on site for all of us. This would include transportation and souvenirs and such. I'm looking at either 2 Pop Century rooms or a suite at the Art of Animation. I want to do the regular dining plan; because, we want character meals. This will probably be the only time the great grandkids will ever go. They adore Disney toys and movies; so, we would like to make this happen before they get older and we can't go. Currently, prices are without a promotion and I sure would like to catch a free dining plan. Even if I squeezed the pennies it would still probably be at least $8000.

I keep thinking how the money would be better spent in a college fund. This would be a big amount for us that could go towards their education. I was thinking it might be better to compromise and go to Dollywood and enjoy the Smokies with them for probably half the cost.

The kid in me says go to Disney World and enjoy our grandkids there before it's too late.

So, how do you justify a trip to Disney World?
I couldn't justify that pricetag. Not for Disney. I just don't find that much value in a Disney vacation anymore. Of course, I don't have great-grandkid, or even grandkids for that matter. But I don't think that it would change my mind by having a fresh perspective. I would look for a family vacation where we could all be together without being crammed into a small hotel suite or have to scramble 180 days in advance just to be able to making a dining reservation. I'd want the kids of vacation where all of the generations could relax together and take things at a leisurely pace. Disney would not be that place.

But the only person who needs to justify that expense is the person who is spending the money. So OP, if this is something that you truly want and can afford, then by all means go for it. Do it while you and your husband can still manage the parks. Enjoy the wonder in your great-grands' eyes and take lots of pictures!

Family time is priceless. I never even knew my great grandparents. Yours are so lucky to have you. But many of our vacations are with my parents, siblings and their dc. If you can afford it, do it. But I would not spend 12k to stay at pop century. I vote for renting points and getting a villa for the whole family.(and I don't cook on vacation either.)

If the kids aren't too young I would do it. Memories would be worth it. But if they are super young (3 or 4) they may not remember it.

I think that if this is something you want to do and can afford it, go ahead. Nothing is more priceless than family memories.

We rarely left our state when the kids were young. We went on our first Disney trip (a long weekend with two MNSSHP tix) and we were hooked. We stretched the budget to make annual trips afterwards, sometimes when really couldn't afford it.

We were upset when we were transferred across the country. We were a driving distance before, but now we were 4 hours away from Seattle. Our WDW trip expense doubled. We took a chance and booked DL and left with APs. We could stay at Howard Johnsons across the street for $50 a night. Then DCA opened Carsland and the days of a cheap DL visits stopped. Four years ago I found cheap flights to Hawaii and we decided to give it a try. What an amazing place!

We finally figured out it really wasn't the destination, it was the time we spent together. We started to take National Park vacations (a plus with moving west) and fell in love with our country's natural wonders!

We would love to return to WDW as a family again someday, but we are happy to pick new destinations each year. We tried to make it work this summer, since our oldest is graduating, but could not make it work for our budget. We are staying in HA for 12 nights for less than $4000 total. That would have been our WDW ticket price alone.

We still squeeze in Disney, but now I just take my daughters or go with my sisters.

Personally, I wouldn't put WDW ahead of a college fund. My In Laws very generously provided college funds for our two kids when they were each 1 year old, and I will always be very grateful for that. Let's put it this way, that college fund will allow THEM to earn enough to take their kids and grandkids to WDW in the future.

I love WDW, but we can only afford to go every 3-4 years and we make the most of every trip. We tend to stay longer to maximize the value from flights from MA and the park tickets, so our trips are usually 9-10 days. Plus, we like to have new stuff to see every time. Our first trip as a family in 2006 was around 5-6K. The next two trips were in the 7K range. With the price increases plus having to pay adult prices it has crept up to the 8-9K range for the next trip I am planning. It's a lot, but I figure it might well be the final family trip before my teenage daughter loses interest.

We will not go into debt for this vacation. I just have real practical values and vacation is not a must do, but a can do.

I'm 80% percent sure we will take the Disney World trip. Everyone has been helpful about making this decision. I was probably 50-50 before starting the post. I was on the fence; so, I felt different opinions would be good to hear.

You're taking 8 people, 6 of them adults, so the price tag doesn't seem that out there to me...

I am coming into this really late, and you sound fairly decided so really I just wanted to say that I hope you have a wonderful vacation and make lots of wonderful memories with your family! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter