• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you heat up a hot dog?

1st: slice down length of hot dog (just to open casing preventing explosion.)

Next: Nuke for 30 seconds.

Voilá

Bon appétit

At FW I will grill Nathan's hot dogs for DW and DD, DSIL and grandchildren but I do not eat them. When they come to house I will cut into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces, place in a pan with or without some chopped/sliced onions and heat enough to brown.

CAUTION- THE FOLLOWING IS DANGEROUS BUT INTERESTING AS AN EXPERIMENT SUPERVISED BY ADULTS

Take 2 8D nails and wash them.

Take a 4' length of extension cord with plug on one end and separate the cut end about 8" then strip 1" of insulation off and wrap each nail at head end with the stripped/exposed wire.

Insert nails into opposite ends of hot dog about 2" to 3" making sure nails do not touch. Place nailed hot dog on a plate and plug in. AGAIN - - CAUTION Only cook for short time frame as hot dog will heat quickly and explode if cooked too long.

Moderators delete if deemed inappropriate --- but the cooking process is unique.

Pan fry and keep them rolling or the George Foreman and turn them a few times. Place them parallel with the raised grills instead of perpendicular, in case you haven't tried it before. I like grilled dogs, but I'm afraid of cooking over open flames, so I won't touch a grill. I love them over a bonfire if someone else is taking care of the fire. I do love some lovely grill marks on mine, however I can get them.

On the grill, only.

Not touching one cooked any other way. Life's too short to eat horribly prepared food.

I just got a package of Hebrew National hot dogs from Costco. I'm used to cheapie hot dogs, but these were a special. They seem to have a bit more spices than many of the bargain hotdogs I get. ...

Having lived in NYC for several years and in Chicago just long enough to see the horrid things they've done to hot dogs and pizza, I'll give you the three acceptable methods for heating a hotdog.
  1. Steam them. Pot of water with a steamer rack, or use an instant pot, whatever. You'll never burn them.
  2. Microwave them. Put the dog in a bun, wrap the whole thing up in a paper towel, then microwave it for 40 seconds. All the flavor stays in, or is caught by the bun.
  3. Boil them. Trick is to put the dogs into cold water then put the fire on. Cut the heat as soon as the water boils, they're done.

I just do the wet paper towel in microwave, but like you if I got the Hebrew ones, I use the inside grill, and make little burn marks on them, yum

The big Costco ones we usually pan fry in a bit of water (not enough to cover). Normal hot dogs usually just get boiled.

Grill
Split in half and pan fry
Steam in the bun in the microwave--wrap HD in bun with a damp paper towel and microwave for about 45 sec

...One time I just sort of left them there. The water got darker and the spices seems to have been boiled out of the meat and gone into the water. The water was like a nice broth though. Is this normal or maybe something specific to Hebrew National?
:goodvibes I don’t know why but that sentence strikes me as hilariously funny. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter