How do you get your DH's to go back to Disney every year?

Ummm, there is Euro, Hong Kong, Disney Land, Two Cruise Boats (soon to be more)

There is more to Disney than just WDW.

But there is also more to the world than just Disney. Why not alternate years between a vacation in the "Real World" and "Walt's World"?

Well my husband has never been excited about Disney persay. In order to get him to go back frequently I have to ensure that the vacation will be different than the one before. I plan different types of activities outside the parks and we always stay in a different hotel. By shaking it up each time it doesn't seem like we are doing the same thing for vacation.

The other thing that makes it a good sell is that Disney provides so many different opportunities and activities. There isn't any other type of vacation or vacation destination that provides such great variety all at one place or in one package. The next best thing for us is a cruise.

My husband is sort of the same way. We went first time as a family when my kids were 2 and 4 (almost 5). (I planned 3 trips prior to kids, and he loved them, but had never been on a vacation before in his life until we went the year before we got married, stayed offsite, very inexpensively and he had a ton of fun). We had such a great time, and discovered how easy and relaxing it can be with two young kids (stayed 11 nights and had a BWV with the kitchen and washer/dryer which was so great).

He works long hours, and can't always take time, so I took the kids without him the first time when they were 4 and 6. We found a great airfare, great AP rate (we had just gone and bought AP's), and just went for 4 nights. The kids and I had such a nice time! I just needed to get away, and it's the easiest trip to take without another adult.

I'm also a SAHM, so am flexible. I've taken the kids several times without DH, or many times he has to leave early to get back home for work. Last year, my mom flew over from Naples for two nights and joined me and the kids (she lives only 3 or 4 hours drive, but didn't want to drive it, so she flew, and doesn't really "get" Disney but came along anyway, I think she enjoyed it).

One thing I do know about my DH: on vacation, he wants to go to the gym or a long run every morning, which to him is truly a vacation. He enjoys some time by the pool as well. So, if we go together, I make sure to take the kids myself out for the morning and we go to a park and take it at our pace (usually slow, DS has asthma so he just started not riding in a stroller very late, like at age 10, and uses a GAC to rest sometimes in lines). DH goes to get a good long workout, showers, and then meets us for lunch. I also plan special meals (we're not big eaters, but enjoy trying new things), like one year we had a dinner (before his flight home early) at Bistro de Paris (it was all I could snag while we were at the pool one day at noon, I just called dining). We had this super long meal with wine pairings, it was so elegant and wonderful (I won't tell you how much it cost, but he said it was so worth it!). One year we did an illuminations cruise on Breathless.

I guess I'm saying that I do try to make it a true vacation for him when he does join us. Last December (2008) was the last time he came, and I had gotten us a deal with a room discount plus free dining (yes, that was the offer, we stayed at the BWI) He only came down for 4 nights I think, and really enjoyed it. The dining plan is truly very generous!

I've been busy the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what to do this coming spring break. I figured if it's Disney (DD wants to do that) he probably won't come along. Well, I booked the BWV with the new discount (I can't ever justify $610 a night, even if I could afford it, just can't stomach that after we've used points several times for stays at the Swan and Dolphin for free!). The 45% off was reasonable at least. I figured we can cancel, but got that booked. Last night, he said that Disney sounded like the best option! Um, I'm thinking, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?"! He may not stay the whole week, but he loves the Boardwalk area (the BCV isn't available for the discount, or we'd give that a try). So he's coming along, may have to come home early, but that is fine.

While we usually have one big family vacation every year all together, at least, he doesn't mind if I (frugally) take the kids again to Disney. I also take them to visit family in Missouri without him every year.

I'd at least consider taking them without him, or have him only come part of the time, or try to plan it around what your DH likes as well!

I hear from my DSis mostly, that she wants to take her kids so many other places for travel. I try to explain that there is a big difference between "travel" and seeing the world, and "vacation" where we just relax, unwind, enjoy some fun silly rides and things, and good food, and just spend time together. We go to Hawaii (used to live there, DS was born there) every other year now, and it's also just family time with familiar things.

Good luck, and sorry so long. My morning coffee makes me "chatty"!!!

Well my husband has never been excited about Disney persay. In order to get him to go back frequently I have to ensure that the vacation will be different than the one before. I plan different types of activities outside the parks and we always stay in a different hotel. By shaking it up each time it doesn't seem like we are doing the same thing for vacation.

The other thing that makes it a good sell is that Disney provides so many different opportunities and activities. There isn't any other type of vacation or vacation destination that provides such great variety all at one place or in one package. The next best thing for us is a cruise.

Thanks - you summed up my wordy reply!

PS: we did the Disney cruise once. IMHO my kids were too old - they were not into the clubs, and my DH really couldn't relax. It wasn't for us, although we did enjoy many aspects of it. My DD turned 9 on it, and DS was 11, so I'd only go prior to age 8. We aren't really into the characters at all anymore, so that wasn't a big selling point. We did have fun with the dear friends that also went.

What we do is usually stay for a longer period...about 10 days. We also rent a villa (easier for 5 people) and make the trip an "Orlando" vacation.

Because we go every year we don't feel like we have to be in the parks from sun up to sun down. We usually do 3 or 4 days...not consecutively in the parks. Then the other days we hang out at the resorts pools, go outlet shopping, go exploring other places in Florida, etc..
This way none of us get that Disney overload. Even my kids prefer it this way. It also allows dh to relax and choose some things he wants to do and we all come home rested..not exhausted.

The reason we go almost every year (if it's not a cruise) is because we like to escape the cold New England winter and believe it or not Orlando has been the cheapest place to take our family of five at that time of the year.

My DH doesn't go with us every year. He has been every other year with us. We just find others to go with. My sister's DH doesn't go either so my sister is always a willing partner. My mom always wants to go and usually my dad as well. We have had aunt's go, friends go, whoever wants to. We do other things with DH throughout the year. He only gets one week vacation whereas I get 3 so I choose DW at least once a year and then we go on a trip together as a family someplace else.

Go without him. My dh is not a disney person(well amusement park in general) and he is a teacher so we can only go over a holiday or in the summer..... so when the kids were 2 and just turned 5, I took them by myself(from Ohio). We just finished our 6th year of doing this.:lovestruc His idea is a beach vacation and we do that every summer and our November trip is the girls trip. It really isn't as hard as some people might imagine. The kids love going and are as good as gold. My only suggestion is spending the extra for a double stroller, keeps everyone safe, legs fresh and noone gets lost. :thumbsup2

We go every year for our Anniversary. DH would like a break even though he loves Disney, but I always use the "Where else can our little man DS 2 go and have such a good time?" Guess what? He can't find another place LOL

Good Luck:thumbsup2

My dh said we should go other places as well so instead of just going to WDW last year we went to Branson for a week, Las Vegas for a week, Illinois to visit family for 5 days and WDW for 9 days.:rotfl2: So far for this year we have booked Washington DC for 8 days, NC for 6 days and WDW for 8 days. I hope he doesn't catch on.:lmao:

Guilt! That's how I get my DH to keep going back to Disney.:lmao:

Honestly, my DH used to be a HUGE Disney fanatic but, that has changed a bit over the years. When he was a child he went to Disney almost every year/ every other year because his father was a major Disney fan. When we had kids we started going every year not just to visit Disney but, to visit my Family that lives about 2-3 hours west of Disney. I think at this point my DH is kind of on Disney burn out. I also think that with the way the economy has been (he works for Chrysler so things have been touch and go for a long time), he is always nervous about spending money. I understand his concern because you never know when your job will be gone but,as long as our bills get paid every month, we have a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our backs we should be able to enjoy life a little. Life is too short to spend it worry every minute about money or the small things. I lost my mom in March (unexpectedly) she was only 53(she was very young when I was born) and that made me truely realize to enjoy life and those around you while you have the chance.

My Dh would go every day of the year if he could .He's like the kids the night before we fly down can't sleep and up before the alarm goes off.

We go to WDW every other year. We both love it, but there's a lot of world to see. Also, by going every other year, it gives Disney a chance to make changes so it seems new and exciting every time we go.

We went to WDW in December, and are now planning a trip to the Mediterranean for this summer. We may also do a road trip to D.C. since we've been meaning to go for a few years. On our last 'off' year we went to Ireland and the Bahamas.

I love WDW, I truely do, but there is so much more out there to see and learn about. This way, we get the best of both worlds.

The reason we go almost every year (if it's not a cruise) is because we like to escape the cold New England winter and believe it or not Orlando has been the cheapest place to take our family of five at that time of the year.

:thumbsup2

As a Canuck, I must say, hear hear!!

Buy DVC then give him a pathetic puppy dog face. Works for me every time. DH likes the xmas party. So I always schedule an annual December trip so we can go to the party. The one year I convinced him to go for Halloween instead I heard him complain about it until the following xmas. We usually go at least one other time each year. DH says he does it because me and DS have such a good time and he likes to see us have fun. But secretly I think he might be a convert.

I don't. I leave him at home. Me and the kiddos go. LOL. At first I was worried but really it has been fine. Were going down this Sept for 16 days. Daddy's staying at home.

LOL.... I make him go once a year and when we get there he has a blast. The other times I go, I take my sister and or one of my friends. We do miss him when he is not there, but DD8 and I do all the girly stuff that he has no interest in. It works well for us.

But also just tell him... this is where the kids and I want to go. One day they will not be little and they will not want to go. really do you want to say that you missed out on seeing the wonder and the magic because he wanted to go somewhere else. Hey I am a true Southern Belle GUILT works in my house!

kelli

I book a princess breakfast and let him believe it is for our 2 DD. (They are 13 and 10). :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter