• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you get a handicap parking tag for a rental car?

hllb

DIS Veteran
Never had to think about it before, but my dad is coming with us to Disney. How does it work?

He would have to apply for a handicapped parking permit in his home state.
Usually you can find the application online. It may be the Department of Transportation (DOT) or the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) ; it varies by state).

The application is filled out and sent to the doctor for completion, then turned in to the DOT or DMV for approval.

Be aware that even though the handicapped lots are the closest to the park entrance, in many cases, it's still a long walk and there is no tram service from the handicapped lots.
If he can step up to get into one parking lot trams, you will actually have a much shorter distance to walk in most cases and that is what WDW recommends for people who don't have a wheelchair or ECV with them.

If you have a wheelchair or ECV and don't have a parking permit, just mention that to each parking lot CM you come to. They will direct you to park in an appropriate area.

There is more about parking and transportation in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, if you want to read more.

Handicapped tags are linked to the person, not the car. So if your father has one in his car that he usually uses, just have him bring it with him on the trip.

Handicapped tags are linked to the person, not the car. So if your father has one in his car that he usually uses, just have him bring it with him on the trip.
LOL
I should have thought of the obvious first.
If he already has one, by all means bring it.

Please be aware that although their is handicap parking, it does fill up. If you arrive at the parks later in the morning or not until noon, those spots could all be filled.:sad2: Also, the parking may be closer but you still aren't "next to the entrance". The theme parks are gigantic, as are the parking areas. There are trams available to transport you as close to the entrance as possible. If your family member has difficulty with climbing up a step or two, the tram could be hard for them. My mom has mobilty issues and we bring her wheelchair from home with us. It's a life-saver for her because she knows it's comfortable and she doesn't worry.

Please be aware that although their is handicap parking, it does fill up. If you arrive at the parks later in the morning or not until noon, those spots could all be filled.:sad2: Also, the parking may be closer but you still aren't "next to the entrance". The theme parks are gigantic, as are the parking areas. There are trams available to transport you as close to the entrance as possible. If your family member has difficulty with climbing up a step or two, the tram could be hard for them. My mom has mobilty issues and we bring her wheelchair from home with us. It's a life-saver for her because she knows it's comfortable and she doesn't worry.
And, just to re-emphasize, there are trams only from the regular parking lots. No trams from the Handicapped/Medical Parking lots.

Thanks all. My stubborn father has decided he won't be getting an ECV after all, so it's a moot point now. He's going to be so difficult :scared:

Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Thanks all. My stubborn father has decided he won't be getting an ECV after all, so it's a moot point now. He's going to be so difficult :scared:

Yes, those pesky parents can be a stubborn lot, can't they? :laughing:

Don't sweat it too much. Sometimes people just need to see what a difficult task they're asking their body to perform at WDW. Walking doesn't seem like much of a job at home so it's hard for some to compute what it's like at WDW until they end up utterly exhausted and in pain.

As you go into the park, keep an eye out for the ECV rental place so you know where to go back to, if necessary. And take along the phone numbers for a couple of the offsite rental places. Then you'll be ready for if/when he changes his mind. Been there, done that. :thumbsup2

I was wondering something. If I park in the regular lot so my Mother can take the tram can I just use my scooter to follow the tram? Is this allowed or will I have to park in the handicapped parking?

I don't know if they would allow it, but my thought is probably not.
The distance might be pretty far, plus you would be driving in a parking lot, so the question comes up about how well the cars and trams would be able to see you.
If you are the driver, a better solution would probably be for you to drop your mother off, then park in the handicapped lot. If she is the driver, she could drop you off and then park in the regular lot. Each parking area has a drop off point; it's usually near the handicapped parking.

I agree with Sue and it is dangerous because you never know when someone is going to be driving through the lot. Also you could end up driving a long way depending on where you park.

I was wondering something. If I park in the regular lot so my Mother can take the tram can I just use my scooter to follow the tram? Is this allowed or will I have to park in the handicapped parking?

I can't remember which park it was but back in the days before we needed to start using the handicapped lot... one time we were parked close enough that we decided to walk to and from our car without waiting for the tram. There was actually a marked walking path. If that's still the case - and if it's the same for all the parking lots - you would be able to safely travel it in a scooter without being out in the dangerous tram/car lanes.

I like Sue's suggestion better though.

That's actually at Epcot and DHS I believe. The parking lot is right at the entrance for both with very little walking if you get there nice and early for one of the first few rows.

Can anybody check? Or does anybody know anyone who's going soon, and driving, who can look?

It would be reasonable that there would be some safe way to walk from one's parking space all the way to the park entrance (or TTC), even if that could be a long distance on a busy day.

The trams at the MK parking lot go under the road in a tunnel and there is a sidewalk. It is a L O N G way from handicapped parking to the wheel chair rental. The bus would be better for that park especially , but still be prepared for a L O N G hike.

I don't know why, but I always thought the tag that hangs from the rearview mirror was linked to the person and their vehicle. This way someone else couldn't benefit from using it in their vehicle.

If I'm wrong, and my mom has a tag for her car back home, we can just take that tag and hang it from the rearview mirror of the rental vehicle, no problem?

I don't know why, but I always thought the tag that hangs from the rearview mirror was linked to the person and their vehicle. This way someone else couldn't benefit from using it in their vehicle.

If I'm wrong, and my mom has a tag for her car back home, we can just take that tag and hang it from the rearview mirror of the rental vehicle, no problem?

As long as you are using it to park when your mom is in the car, you can use the tag in a rental car. We used to bring my mother's tag (although here, it isn't a tag, it is something that sits on the dashboard) whenever we went to Florida and used it in the rental car.

As long as you are using it to park when your mom is in the car, you can use the tag in a rental car. We used to bring my mother's tag (although here, it isn't a tag, it is something that sits on the dashboard) whenever we went to Florida and used it in the rental car.

Yes my mom is coming on the trip as well. Thank you so much for the information. It is very much appreciated.

My DD does not drive but we still have a hang tag for her. If she's going to be out with friends, she takes the tag and uses it in their car. We have used it in rental cars for years. Our home state (Illinois) specifies the tag is to be used only by the person it was given to (i.e. I can't use it when I'm out alone) but I don't think I've seen mention of it being linked to a certain car.

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter