How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I just read in Shanghai the guests are required to wear masks to enter the park. I don’t know if I could walk around in the hot Florida sun wearing a mask all day . I can’t wait to go back but I don’t know if I would be willing to go back if that is a stipulation. Any one else’s thoughts?

I don't think their mask policy is an attempt to control crowds. They have to make enough money to turn a profit- and if you listened to the earnings call last week, Chapek said they wouldn't open anything where they would be operating at a loss. I wear a mask when I grocery shop, etc. to be respectful. They smell bad and I can't stand breathing on myself all day and fogging up my sunglasses. And this is for short trips to stores. I just can't imagine doing so in the heat where I need to breath and need glasses to see.

I’m the only one in my household who has been leaving the house and wearing a mask while grocery shopping. No one else seems to have any idea of the discomfort of wearing one. My kids and DH don’t seem to think it would be a big deal wearing one at WDW. I think they need to try wearing a mask around the house as a start, they have no idea...

So I just read in Shanghai the guests are required to wear masks to enter the park. I don’t know if I could walk around in the hot Florida sun wearing a mask all day . I can’t wait to go back but I don’t know if I would be willing to go back if that is a stipulation. Any one else’s thoughts?
Merged you to the proper thread

I’m confident this is something they will soon realize can’t be enforced. There’s too many factors involved that prove it makes no sense. Besides the obvious reason of heat and people passing out, here are more reasons I think it won’t make ANY sense:
1) people won’t have the correct masks
2) people won’t wear their masks correctly
3) kids will pull off their masks constantly
4) wearing masks on rides. Picture Space Mountain. Or any roller coaster for that matter. The person behind me is getting my air. You have masks flying off on roller coasters, or if you’re a screamer you’ll be suffocating with that mask on.
5) dining. You obviously can’t eat with a mask on. You’re server still has to bring you your meal right?
6) bars. Sitting at a bar with a mask on?
7) losing your mask. Will they provide you with a new mask? Or will you be forced to buy another one? If not, will they ask you to leave?
8) then there is liability with people passing out in the heat of summer with a mask. They better have those paramedic trucks lined up outside the park because they will be carrying people away in droves.

I’m not worried about it, and I am going in August. I am confident they will come to see It is an impossible requirement to enforce!!!

Same here. Thought my kids would be so disappointed but they would rather not go than wear masks in the summer heat of WDW.

We had a discussion last night at dinner with the kids about this. I was shocked when our 17 year old daughter and 11 year old son both said they would rather not go this year if they have to wear masks. We go once a year in the summer, due to school, and they are simply not interested in going if forced to wear masks in the heat. I haven't cancelled our August trip just yet, waiting to see what really happens with openings and such, but at this point, I think we are going to shoot for summer 2021.

This could be the reaction that Disney was expecting. Make masks mandatory, and people self cancel, voila, issues around limiting park capacity organically solve itself :)
I said exactly this to my DD19 yesterday. I was telling her about this thread and how it seemed the vast majority would not go during mask required period.

So between now and Sept I need to hunt for the most comfortable, coolest face covering I can find! I have a bit of a challenge bc I have TMJD and I cannot have ANY pressure to my lower jaw (chin). I know it has to be snug, it just cannot be tight.

I’m confident this is something they will soon realize can’t be enforced. There’s too many factors involved that prove it makes no sense. Besides the obvious reason of heat and people passing out, here are more reasons I think it won’t make ANY sense:
1) people won’t have the correct masks

Going off of what is currently required for us in NJ (and the rationale we've been given), I think WDW will probably only require a mask or "face covering" of some sort. The intent of this, we are told, is to prevent the droplets from the wearer's exhalations/cough/sneezes from being airborne. It's not the "correct" mask in that it's not going to filter out droplets that have become airborne. But if everyone or the vast majority of people in a setting is wearing a face covering and keeping their droplets to themselves (not becoming airborne) then even just a face covering can effectively reduce transmission.

Going off of what is currently required for us in NJ (and the rationale we've been given), I think WDW will probably only require a mask or "face covering" of some sort. The intent of this, we are told, is to prevent the droplets from the wearer's exhalations/cough/sneezes from being airborne. It's not the "correct" mask in that it's not going to filter out droplets that have become airborne. But if everyone or the vast majority of people in a setting is wearing a face covering and keeping their droplets to themselves (not becoming airborne) then even just a face covering can effectively reduce transmission.
Right, this. I've started paying attention to myself. I tend to be pretty "exuberant" and talk and laugh a lot, and now that I pay attention, I do spit a lot of little droplets when talking and laughing. I also tend to chat it up at stores and places with people (DS is always embarrassed and makes fun of me for making friends everywhere), so masks protect the world from people like me. I could be asymptomatic and not have a clue that I'm spreading germs all over, a mask keeps my droplets to myself...and, frankly, shuts me up a bit!

We are members of the same club! My teen daughter rolls her eyes and expresses exasperation at how many people I chat with in stores!

I'm of the opinion that it will be an extremely difficult rule to enforce logistically. Do they require masks to be worn 100% of the time, or only when indoors & social distancing? How about outside transiting between attractions? On buses/monorail/ferry boats? What about at the resort hotels?

If their smoking policy is any indication, we can see how people will respond to this. Every time we've gone to Disney, we've spotted at least a handful of people (if not more) who will light up while walking around the parks the minute the sun goes down. It's like they think the cover of darkness prevents others from being forced to inhale their secondhand smoke or something. People think they are the exception; that the rules don't apply to them because they're "just one person".

I said exactly this to my DD19 yesterday. I was telling her about this thread and how it seemed the vast majority would not go during mask required period.

So between now and Sept I need to hunt for the most comfortable, coolest face covering I can find! I have a bit of a challenge bc I have TMJD and I cannot have ANY pressure to my lower jaw (chin). I know it has to be snug, it just cannot be tight.
I have a pack of non-surgical masks from Amazon that are really good, they're currently sold out but there are a ton just like them (just need to find ones with the metal nose piece). They are thick enough to be effective but thin enough so they aren't really hot (I can't do fabric masks, they are just too hot and I feel like I'm giving myself a breathe facial -_- ). They have a nose wire so you can fit it around your nose well and the mask isn't slipping all over the place, and they seal up well around the sides without being tight at all. I've now worn them full days for a couple of different doctors appointments, and running errands after, and they were not uncomfortable at all. If I still get to go on my July trip I'll be taking a full box of them, and I will have a few fabric masks as back ups, but don't plan to wear those exclusively since they're so hot. I had my DH listen to Chapek's interview last night regarding masks (it's just he and I on the July trip for our anniversary), and he said "good! Can you find me a Grumpy mask with a frowny face on it? That would be awesome." So that's where we stand on it lol

I said this in another of 95 mask related threads, but I don't think I said it here---yet. ;)
We will choose not to visit while their is still a mask requirement. We probably won't go when they are being encouraged. But we will likely go when they are simply allowed.

I require ginormous sunglasses over my prescription glasses due to an eye injury/condition. Unfortunately, I have already tried and failed several different ways of wearing a mask with both pairs of glasses. I can keep one pair of glasses from fogging when wearing a mask, but something about the second pair makes it very difficult for me to keep either pair fog-free for more than a few minutes---and that's here, where we've seen no temps higher than 60 in ages, and are typically much lower. I already have issues with condensation/fogging in the summer just from going from air conditioned areas to the outdoors, so if I toss a mask into that hot weather situation, I'll basically be fogged over all day.

But that's my issue. Not Disney's and certainly not any other guest's, so I will make the choice to simply stay home until I can visit without that problem. :) I don't think Disney should change their mask policies for me or anyone else. If someone in a party cannot wear a mask, then that party should wait to visit until the mask is no longer required. I know all about long waits and planning for years and the perfect time to go and special occasions and kids being the perfect age and having a great deal and so on and so forth. All of those things came into play for our scheduled trip, too. But I still don't expect Disney to make any sort of change to their requirement on my behalf. It's our problem so we will be the ones to change our plans. :)

Shanghai was easy to implement this rule due to the culture already used to wearing masks. The children are used to it and adults have learned proper technique handling masks. Right now we have a mask shortage so most people are wearing thick cloth masks that were homemade. (Heavy and hot)

Alot if factors can change in time. People will learn kids will learn but the biggest issue I see is Americans will not want to learn and fight back. So don't blame the children or that you will touch things and not use it properly.. that's on all of us to learn and adapt. Most will not and God forbid we get something even worse in the future. We again won't be able to adapt.

We had a discussion last night at dinner with the kids about this. I was shocked when our 17 year old daughter and 11 year old son both said they would rather not go this year if they have to wear masks. We go once a year in the summer, due to school, and they are simply not interested in going if forced to wear masks in the heat. I haven't cancelled our August trip just yet, waiting to see what really happens with openings and such, but at this point, I think we are going to shoot for summer 2021.
That’s our story exactly. We go in summer because of school and masks covering nose and mouth in that heat/humidity is not doable for us. Haven’t yet canceled either but will as soon as it’s confirmed. We usually split our trips between wdw and our place on the beach on gulf coast so instead we’ll just stay at beach. Thinking that will be better than a lesser experience at wdw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter