• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you deal with your PDSD (Post Disney Stress Disorder) when welive so far away?

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
As the title suggests, how do you deal with your post trip depression?

I went on what I thought would be my once in a lifetime trip in March this year, but I want more. So hopefully 2016.
But it feels so far away.

Hubby says I shouldn't read WDWInfo/DISUnplugged/Disney Dining articles, or listen to DISUnplugged podcasts as it will make me depressed that I'm not going back any time soon. But I feel like I need to read it and listen to it. To feel like it's closer than it really is.

Sometimes I'm listening to a podcast about DTD or the parks and think, "I should go there this weekend" and then remember there's like 20 hours of flight time between me and it.

I can't imagine being a short domestic flight or even a car ride away from it. I know funds don't always permit and wages and holiday/annual leave is very different in the US, but how do people in the US have to wait so long, internal flights are cheap there. But then again, I never travel to QLD (From Melbourne) and that's not far away...

I'm even daydreaming about moving to orlando...

Yeah... I have a problem! Lol

So, share your embarrassing habits, or how you deal with it... Make me feel better about my craziness!

It's awful isn't it.

I almost feel selfish when I get depressed after a really great trip, because I know deep down I should instead be feeling grateful that I had the experience in the first place.

For me, the thing that always works best is to start planning another trip. It's doesn't need to be a big international trip, even a road trip around my own country, or a night away with my husband, gives me something exciting to focus on.
Could you afford a cheaper trip in the interim? Perhaps a drive around the coast during 2015.

It's also nice to reminisce on the trip you have just done by writing a TR or making an album of your photos. I find that it helps you stretch out your trip for a bit longer.

I just saw your other post and that you have 2 weddings next year. That's exciting and perhaps something to focus on.

I just saw your other post and that you have 2 weddings next year. That's exciting and perhaps something to focus on.

Yeah two weddings. The first is fiji in April, only going for 5 nights, most of which is filled with plans with the bride and groom. The second is in August to Bali... So not interested in going to Bali... So that isn't exciting me at all (as ungrateful as that sounds)

Maybe an album/scrapbook is the way to go!!

I do exactly what your husband tells you not to! I check the boards daily, read trip reports and the Disney food blog etc. Its been 12 months since my last trip and I'm counting down another 12 but it really does go quickly when you're planning, and if you have an idea of what time of year you want to go back you can read up the trip reports to see what's new for that time and take lots of notes. Think about what an awesome trip you could map out for your family with all that planning time!

It's tough. I think coming from a very manufactured world such as Disney to the reality of mundane life hits hard in its contrast.

As other posters have mentioned, I begin planning the next trip soon after my return. I also unpack my souvenirs and decorate the house with them so it feels as if the Disney spark remains long after the trip. Each has a memory. I also start processing my photos which is a 'step down' process back into reality.

It's hit me hard! We've only just gotten back from our first Disney trip (2 weeks ago) and I'm already scheming a way to get back there. DH is soooo sick of me saying "we could use our frequent flyer points and just top them up...." Or "let's just ask for travel vouchers for every birthday and christmas from now on, and maybe we can get back there sooner".

The trouble is, when you have 4 kids, everything is so much more expensive. If it were just DH and I, I'd have booked again already, but it's hard to come up with enough for the 6 of us. We think we might be able to do another big one by the end of 2017, but that's soooo far away :(

If you find a cure for PDSD, let me know please :lol:

I also rely on TRs and planning my next trip. I always have at least 2 trips on the go at any time just so that I've always got something else to look forward to :rotfl2:

I also like to get on the DIS, the Disneyland board as well as Australia, and share my experiences and tips with newbies. In the lead up to a trip, I always have a few questions, and contributing to other threads kind of feels like I'm paying it forward a little :goodvibes

FWIW, Wanderlust and I are both going to Bali next year, and have started a thread about Bali and beyond. I'm not that interested in Bali either, so we're going to do a side trip of some description. Maybe that's something you could consider too? :confused3 Otherwise, maybe Wanderlust's enthusiasm will get to you - I know it's made me feel a whole heap more excited about the Bali part of our trip (which is just 2 nights, probably just relaxing around the villa)!

FWIW, Wanderlust and I are both going to Bali next year, and have started a thread about Bali and beyond. I'm not that interested in Bali either, so we're going to do a side trip of some description. Maybe that's something you could consider too? :confused3 Otherwise, maybe Wanderlust's enthusiasm will get to you - I know it's made me feel a whole heap more excited about the Bali part of our trip (which is just 2 nights, probably just relaxing around the villa)!

A side trip isn't really possible because I want to spend as little as possible to go toward my WDW fund! Lol.
We are probably going to get a villa with friends and we are staying in Ubud which is apparently a very resorty, higher end type area, not gross and crazy like Kuta (Ergh, I don't think you could pay me to go there)

But I've got the quote etc for my fiji trip for April and I'm feeling excited about that now (I'm not revolted by the thought of Fiji like I am Bali, and I think had I not have been to WDW, I'd probably be looking forward to visiting fiji.)
We were going to have that trip be a double stop and head to hawaii after the Fiji wedding, but the second wedding in Bali ruined those plans :-(

A side trip isn't really possible because I want to spend as little as possible to go toward my WDW fund! Lol.
We are probably going to get a villa with friends and we are staying in Ubud which is apparently a very resorty, higher end type area, not gross and crazy like Kuta (Ergh, I don't think you could pay me to go there)

But I've got the quote etc for my fiji trip for April and I'm feeling excited about that now (I'm not revolted by the thought of Fiji like I am Bali, and I think had I not have been to WDW, I'd probably be looking forward to visiting fiji.)
We were going to have that trip be a double stop and head to hawaii after the Fiji wedding, but the second wedding in Bali ruined those plans :-(

I feel the same way about Kuta. Wanderlust is staying in Ubud for part of her trip, and is really excited about it. You should check out the thread and see if anything she's doing there appeals to you. We're staying in Jimbaran for our couple of nights, which is on the south part of the island near Nusa Dua. So hopefully it will be a bit more laid back than Kuta. Otherwise we just won't leave the resort.

I'm not into Fiji either, but Wanderlust says great things about it, and it sounds like you'll love it if you're into beaches and water activities.

I feel the same way about Kuta. Wanderlust is staying in Ubud for part of her trip, and is really excited about it. You should check out the thread and see if anything she's doing there appeals to you. We're staying in Jimbaran for our couple of nights, which is on the south part of the island near Nusa Dua. So hopefully it will be a bit more laid back than Kuta. Otherwise we just won't leave the resort. I'm not into Fiji either, but Wanderlust says great things about it, and it sounds like you'll love it if you're into beaches and water activities.
Oh cool! I'll look for the post! Thanks.

Yeah our honeymoon was non-stop (3 nights RPR, 6 night YC, 4 nights for WrestleMania in New Orleans with events every day/night, 5 nights NYC, staying just off Times Square, and 4 nights vegas...) so i am looking forward to a beach type relaxing holiday, but fiji has a jam packed itinerary too...
Thursday arrive at about 4:30pm, check in etc. Assuming many drinks will be had (though I'm not a drinker)
Friday morning, the boys are playing golf in the AM, women then heading off to an island that apparently houses a bar only.
Saturday, wedding day
Sunday night a dinner cruise
Monday free
Tuesday, flight leaves at 5:45pm
So a bit of free time but plans pretty much every day.
But yeah, the sun and pool are sounding very appealing in this very chilly Melbourne November weather!!

I 100% agree with everyone else! Go to town and start planning your next trip! Post a PTR here on the dis, update it when you have any questions or decide on something you want to do. Read everyone else's trip reports. I'm thinking we need to set up a 2016 planning thread here on the Australia board. When I was planning my 2014 trip (in 2013) it really helped being able to check in on the planning thread during the day and countdown with everyone. It made the time tick by so much faster! When I got back from my trip last May I thought it felt like FOREVER until i'd be back in the land. Then Christmas happened and all of a sudden we're already halfway though Jan and I remember that the year actually passes by relatively quickly! Once i'd done all of the basic planning for our trip I went through my diary and on every pay day I wrote how much money should be in the Disney account so I was on track with my savings, i'd go through and write the days that I could start booking ADR's and tours etc. And every now and again i'd pick a random day in my diary and write how many weeks until our trip and decorate the page with Disney stickers and quotes. I try to do lots of little things so that i'm always feeling the Disney Magic! I even downloaded the Main Street USA music area loop and listen to that while i'm driving to work! pixiedust:

Reading all the trip reports and looking at the photos of food on here, as well as always planning another trip helps get me through. Also the thought that half the fun is in the planning since once the trip comes around its gone soooo fast! I also love it when I get my DVC Disney Files magazine in the letter box, makes me excited reading up on all the new things and general gossip :)

Today is the first time I've been back on the Dis since our trip in October. It was our second WDW holiday and I said it would be our last for the foreseeable future - need to spend money on our house and try new places - which was so depressing I couldn't come on here. I also haven't even been through the photos properly or written a trip report because I can't face it:(

Then today we watched our DVD from Discovery Cove for the first time and I felt myself mentally costing out a trip just to the West Coast;)

It is so expensive to go overseas and I just don't know if going back to the same place each time is the right thing to do. For example we have never been to Europe or Asia...

It's just that WDW is so much fun!

I'm no help but I do feel your pain.

And hello to all the DISers *waves*

Today is the first time I've been back on the Dis since our trip in October. It was our second WDW holiday and I said it would be our last for the foreseeable future - need to spend money on our house and try new places - which was so depressing I couldn't come on here. I also haven't even been through the photos properly or written a trip report because I can't face it:(

Then today we watched our DVD from Discovery Cove for the first time and I felt myself mentally costing out a trip just to the West Coast;)

It is so expensive to go overseas and I just don't know if going back to the same place each time is the right thing to do. For example we have never been to Europe or Asia...

It's just that WDW is so much fun!

I'm no help but I do feel your pain.

And hello to all the DISers *waves*

Dabecs, I had to read, and re-read your post....so much of what you said I could totally relate to!

Before we last went to WDW (also in October) DH and I agreed to no more trips to the US for five years - but now I am back - I don't know if I can wait that long! I already miss WDW and DL so much! I have been looking at information on Tokyo Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris, but yet to be convinced.....to go all that way (especially Paris) we would need to visit other locations to make it worth it, right?

Anyway, just wanted to say, your not alone. I personally have found reading other people's trip reports helpful in dealing with the PDSD. When you're ready, I would love to read your trip report :)

It is so expensive to go overseas and I just don't know if going back to the same place each time is the right thing to do.

I know what you mean. I'm really craving a return trip to Fiji at present, but even if I could afford it, it seems almost wrong to go to a place for a 3rd visit, when there are still so many new locations left to visit.

For what it's worth, I do think there's something to be said for trying different countries, cultures and experiences. However, the side effect is an even longer list of places to crave a return visit to.

I start planning my next trip, we came back in sept and I'm itching for dec 2016 prices to be released so I can start getting organised. Hubby said in 2014 it would be once in a lifetime but luckily he has also got the bug although not quite as bad as me!

we have the same arguments with ourselves, should we keep going to the same places every time, what about Europe etc etc, and alas in my mind I am thinking about another west coast trip for dec this year.

we find that Hawaii is a good interim option too with all the cheap flights, so we are going there for Easter, no Disney, but still go old USA food and shopping.

But PDSD is tough, especially the first month, I have trouble going back to DIS as I am too jealous of all the trips people are taking, but eventually come back slowly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter