How do you budget for groceries?

I don't have a grocery budget. I try to keep the expense to a minimum, but it's still a high number because there are 6 of us. I shop probably twice a week, not including the occasional "grab a dozen eggs while at Walmart" trip.

OP, I think your issue is more that you and your DH are on different pages when it comes to groceries. In our house, if the "good" snacks run out, tough. There's always something to eat. I'll replenish when I get to it. Interestingly, the single food that gets the most complaints is cereal--and I buy a LOT! Apparently the problem is that kid A will eat more than his fair share of cereal X, even though we have 5 other types of cereal--all similar--in the pantry.

Now that there is just 2 of us it is easier. I look for sales on meats and stock the freezer every few months. I budget the non-perishables on opposite months from meats & stock up there. So really our only weekly expense in perishables.

When we had the boys in house I was on a first name basis with the employees at supermarket. My budget then was like $200 a week.

We don't really have a budget either. I do get stuff on sale and if the price is high on something I won't buy it. Today I skipped buying avocados because they were over $1 a piece. Same goes for the mandarin oranges. We are fortunate that we can buy what we need and then some.

We don't budget for food. I just spend what I want on what I want. I do try to plan meals a couple days in advance or I end up shopping every day and that's dangerous. I end up getting things that I don't use because I don't have a specific plan for them and then I end up throwing stuff out.

OP, I think your issue is more that you and your DH are on different pages when it comes to groceries. In our house, if the "good" snacks run out, tough. There's always something to eat. I'll replenish when I get to it. Interestingly, the single food that gets the most complaints is cereal--and I buy a LOT! Apparently the problem is that kid A will eat more than his fair share of cereal X, even though we have 5 other types of cereal--all similar--in the pantry.

This sounds like our house. Cereal is the biggest cause of arguments. "That was *my* cereal, and I only got one bowl!"

I don't have a specific budget, but I tend to spend the same amount at the store every week within about $20. I shop once per week and try to plan for meals. I have certain things I buy every week. Other things that I don't buy if they're too expensive (avocados), and other things I only buy if they're on sale (steak). I usually try to buy enough for the week, and if it all gets eaten by Tuesday, then "sorry."

I generally only go to the store during the week if it's something I forgot. (I bought bagels at the store this week but forgot to buy chream cheese.) Or occassionally something unexpected comes up. DS's birthday is this week. We usually go out to dinner, so I didn't plan anything for that night. He has decided he'd like to have his favorite meal at home instead. I'll need to run to the store sometime this week.

I feel the same.

Me too. I have to budget. That's just the reality of my life. I wish I had the money to buy whatever!

Not budgeting for groceries doesn't mean having money to buy whatever.

We live well within our means and have a lot of savings. That's easy for us to do without having a line item budget.

I have a good idea of what I'm willing to spend on things. We check store fliers and stock up when things are on sale. I just don't say we only spend $X amount each month. I likely won't buy out of season produce but I also won't buy no name canned tuna.

I just have an amount that I spend each week. If it ends up being a little more, it's a little more. I shop sales and adjust the weekly menu accordingly. That doesn't mean that if I want to splurge on a meal I've been craving I won't, I just try not to go crazy.

My budget hasn't really increased with our income either. Just because we CAN spend more now doesn't mean we have to... We just have more wiggle room now(compared to the earlier years of our relationship when we struggled quite a bit).

I forgot to answer the original question.
Our grocery budget is just another thing added to the list of bills...
$________ for car payments
$________ for mortgage
$________ for groceries etc.

This sounds like our house. Cereal is the biggest cause of arguments. "That was *my* cereal, and I only got one bowl!"

I don't have a specific budget, but I tend to spend the same amount at the store every week within about $20. I shop once per week and try to plan for meals. I have certain things I buy every week. Other things that I don't buy if they're too expensive (avocados), and other things I only buy if they're on sale (steak). I usually try to buy enough for the week, and if it all gets eaten by Tuesday, then "sorry."

I generally only go to the store during the week if it's something I forgot. (I bought bagels at the store this week but forgot to buy chream cheese.) Or occassionally something unexpected comes up. DS's birthday is this week. We usually go out to dinner, so I didn't plan anything for that night. He has decided he'd like to have his favorite meal at home instead. I'll need to run to the store sometime this week.
UGHHHHHH... Cereal is 50% of my grocery money(Not because I have such a small budget, but because DH and the twins eat SO MUCH FREAKING CEREAL).

UGHHHHHH... Cereal is 50% of my grocery money(Not because I have such a small budget, but because DH and the twins eat SO MUCH FREAKING CEREAL).

Never buy cereal for home since no one here eats that but I do buy it for a food drive for school and I only buy whats on sale- no way am I spending 5.00 on that!

Groceries are definitely a line item in our budget.

I refuse to carry coupons around or carry circulars for price matches. My mom was intensely into coupons and shopped at several different stores every week for the best deals. I just don't have the time or inclination for that. Instead we shop at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market for the lowest overall prices and use their Savings Catcher program. That usually buys us a free week of groceries every year.

Never buy cereal for home since no one here eats that but I do buy it for a food drive for school and I only buy whats on sale- no way am I spending 5.00 on that!
I'm always so annoyed when I see the prices of cereal. If you see the chick in the cereal aisle raging, it's me :lmao:
My husband will eat an entire box, or close to an entire box in a sitting. And never gains a pound :rolleyes1

I spend about 350-400 per WEEK on groceries and household items (ie papertowels, cleaning supplies, OTC meds, laundry detergent, vitamins, cat food, etc - all that type of stuff). There's 4 of us (DH, DS7, DS9, and me). We eat a lot of whole foods and produce. I have 1 son who has sensory issues when it comes to food so he will only eat what he will eat in terms of foods, brands, etc and so I have to buy his foods regardless of sales or costs. (This is a legitimate "medical" issue and he gets OT for it to try to expand his food options.) I'm pretty sure DS inherited this from DH, who is also super picky with his food choices.
It's super annoying and I wish I could cut back the total a bit. I've tried, but it just always comes out close to $400. So that's what I set aside - 1600 a month. Insane, I know. I do have a basement freezer that I can use to stock up on certain items, but perishables is where most of our money is spent.
When I see people spending under 300 a month for a family I'm so impressed, but I just don't see how I could do that!!

Last edited:
...When I see people spending under 300 a month for a family I'm so impressed, but I just don't see how I could do that!!
::yes:: I totally agree with you, and I know perfectly well I could trim our food spending by at least half. $500/mo for a family of 3 would be ample but it would take a great deal more time and energy than I'm willing to give it.

I spend about 350-400 per WEEK on groceries and household items (ie papertowels, cleaning supplies, OTC meds, laundry detergent, vitamins, cat food, etc - all that type of stuff). There's 4 of us (DH, DS7, DS9, and me). We eat a lot of whole foods and produce. I have 1 son who has sensory issues when it comes to food so he will only eat what he will eat in terms of foods, brands, etc and so I have to buy his foods regardless of sales or costs. (This is a legitimate "medical" issue and he gets OT for it to try to expand his food options.) I'm pretty sure DS inherited this from DH, who is also super picky with his food choices.
It's super annoying and I wish I could cut back the total a bit. I've tried, but it just always comes out close to $400. So that's what I set aside - 1600 a month. Insane, I know. I do have a basement freezer that I can use to stock up on certain items, but perishables is where most of our money is spent.
When I see people spending under 300 a month for a family I'm so impressed, but I just don't see how I could do that!!
Right? Even at our lowest place financially that isn't possible for our family of four.
Even when it was just DH and I we spent between $50 and $75 a week for just us two.

I spent $112 this week as an example and that included hamburger patties and 2 packs of chicken thighs, everything else I needed food wise, a splurge on some more expensive ice cream (since I had digital coupons for it), and some allergy meds. That's for 2 weeks of food.

So, DH and went grocery shopping this morning, and he was in charge of planning out the meals/snacks/etc. I just followed along and added up what he put into the cart with my calculator. He had $100 for 6 days. (I usually spend between $100-150, depending on what I have in the freezer and pantry) but the whole point of our debate is that sometimes you have to do more with less, so $100 it was.

He was giving me a heart attack by passing up buy one get one free chicken breast, and I did step in when there were $4 packs of pork chops. He says "nobody really likes pork chops so we will skip that" and I was like uhhh...for 4 bucks, they will love them this week!

He started to rethink his plan when he wanted swedish meatballs, then realized how many components went into the dish and he still hasn't bought any fresh veggies lol, and he is dead set on making the kids a hot (egg) breakfast all week because cereal was too expensive.

For lunches he bought 1/2 lb of hard salami, 1/2 lb of provelone, and a pack of bologna (that nobody will eat). I suggested maybe ham or turkey will be a better choice, but he was sticker shocked at the prices, so he went with the $2.50 pack of bologna. He also bought hamburger helper in place of the meatballs (we will see how thst goes over!). To round out the lunches, he bought a bag of apples and two boxes of snack cake things and a couple bags of store brand chips on sale 3 for $5. He did buy grapes, carrots, cucumbers, apples, bananas, and $6 worth of out of season asparagus, but hey...he is trying! :love:

The whole debate started over juice pouches, and he decided not to buy those in place of a case of water at Costco (which was exactly what I *do*, but he said the kids should get juice boxes like all their friends. Until his budget didn't allow for it)

The kids found the chips last night while they were watching a movie and from the looks of it, the snack cakes. DH started to have a heart attack...."those are for lunches!!" I just sweetly reminded him that he told me the kids are growing and hungry and we should just make sure we buy enough food every week so they can eat when they are hungry! Lol DD13 pleaded with him to "give mom back the control before your kids die of heart attacks and diabetes!"

Lol

This is fun! And I love thst he is being such a good sport and trying his best lol

Last edited:
That's wonderful that your DH is such a good sport, and is willing to see things from your perspective. Honestly, it can take quite a while to get the hang of shopping sales, etc.--we moved 2 years ago, and I'm STILL finding new sources for cheap food items!

One of the reasons I don't have a strict food budget is because it makes it tougher to stock up--one week I might find a great deal on, say, boneless chicken breasts and get a lot. Then, I'll buy less protein for the next couple weeks.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with cereal fiends in my house. It just slays me how DD14 will act like the world is coming to an end because DS20 ate all the Cocoa Crispies. Meanwhile, we have packages of Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys, Cocoa Crunchies, and Chocolate Oatie-O's sitting in the pantry. Cry me a river, kid!

::yes:: I totally agree with you, and I know perfectly well I could trim our food spending by at least half. $500/mo for a family of 3 would be ample but it would take a great deal more time and energy than I'm willing to give it.

Exactly....on the time and energy....

Although I know that the ingredients for the smoothies we have for breakfast (and sometimes for me I have a second for lunch if I'm in a rush) cost $50-60 right there just for smoothie ingredients for a week....before I buy anything else.

...Just wondering if most people put a higher priority on spending money on food like DH wants to, or if anyone really tries to work within a certain amount like I do :)

I like a good deal when I can find it, but I gave up really worrying about my grocery budget when DH had to go on a "heart-healthy" diet. I buy the things he's supposed to eat, and suck up the price.

One of the reasons I don't have a strict food budget is because it makes it tougher to stock up--one week I might find a great deal on, say, boneless chicken breasts and get a lot. Then, I'll buy less protein for the next couple weeks.

This is a good point, too. It always bothered me that people on really tight budgets might actually have to spend more for the same things because they don't have any extra to be flexible like this.

We've solved the cereal problem by each opening one box at once, so everyone always has a favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter