How do the room attendants know you left your room?

Magic. I remember when I went to one of the bars on the dream and someone who worked there (who wasn't the bartender) said hi to me and it creeped me out. He acknowledged it and was like "you must be thinking how does this guy know my name" and I said yea and he laughed. creepy lol

Magic. I remember when I went to one of the bars on the dream and someone who worked there (who wasn't the bartender) said hi to me and it creeped me out. He acknowledged it and was like "you must be thinking how does this guy know my name" and I said yea and he laughed. creepy lol

So how did he know your name? Inquiring minds want to know.

To us, they always seem like they have magical abilities! We have never caught them in our stateroom!
Happens to us all the time on sea days. I’m an early riser and usually head to deck 4 for my morning laps while DW sleeps in. I always leave the room occupied sign on the door when I leave. When I finish, kill some time sitting in Cove, and finally return to the room to shower about 90 minutes later and DW is ready for breakfast, we head to the MDR where we prefer to eat. While we’re gone, the room host/hostess usually gets to our room, but has not always finished before we return. When that happens, we will either grab anything we need and leave or just pass on by and go topside to Cove or the adult pool area to sit a bit. It’s nice to know the room will be ready when we return.

It's Disney Magic. Don't question it. ;)

I don't think they ever sleep. Cause we always see ours first thing in the morning and at dinner time. We usually use the "room occupied" sign on our door when we are in the room. But we always greet our room attendant as well. We come back from breakfast or the pool in the morning and our room is always done. 🤷‍♀️

I DONT EVEN KNOW. Lmao he just laughed and walked away.

The only thing I can think of maybe being the case is if they have sensors that read KTTW cards as you enter the bar and flash it up on a register screen. Kinda like when you are swiping on and off the ship. I wouldn't think this would be the case as it would be annoying and distracting when it's busy.

Its probably the same as in hotels. They have a time they start at based on the general ship schedule. For example, at Castaway Cay, they know the majority of the passengers will be off the ship by x time or the majority of the passengers at X port have early breakfast and all day excursions.

They probably just start at the first room on their list, and then as they are in the corridors, they can see which rooms have movement, which rooms have a family but only 1 adult has left, so they skip that, then they see the couple from 2 rooms down leaving with a day bag, so they are out for an excursion, etc etc.

There is probably a window when all the rooms are empty so they know, right lets get as much done during that time.

Ships, like hotels have routines , so after 2 cruises, the room attendants will start to see patterns of how guests move from area to area, and then like everything it will just become automatic to them to look for various signs and indications of whether a room is occupied or not.

If your in a magic port hole room I think the character has a wee look in the room and then lets the room attendant no you have left 😊

I normally catch our host when we are leaving the room in the morning and know we arent coming back. That way he knows as early as possible that he can start on our room while he waits for other rooms to become available to clean. We are early risers and get off to breakfast early as well so having our room cleaned by mid morning is always nice.

My husband thinks it has something to do with placing your card in the room for electrics - he thinks it signals somewhere.

The first cruise we were on the room attendants had no clue. We were constantly walking in on someone. I often wondered how that tip went - first person to hit the room I guess.

Huh, I always thought they knew by checking their video monitors . . .

Huh, I always thought they knew by checking their video monitors . . .
That is so obvious now that you say it! I did know the hallways are all videotaped, but I never connected it with the host. But that makes perfect sense: they could see when you leave the room.

We always seem to run into them when we leave or return. We do also have a reasonably standard routine so the good ones seem to get used to that very quickly. They may even have a schedule of those things you've already booked or are just very good at noting if you're around.

I always seem to run into our host when I leave in the morning. They'll say hello and ask what my plans are. I figure it's both a way for them to be polite and also figure out when they can clean the room. :)

We've had similar experiences. Sometimes they'll just casually ask if you're heading up for breakfast or lunch or out to port. I figure that's their way of asking how long you'll be out without blatantly asking if you'll be out long enough for them to finish. I'll usually give them enough information about our plans that they can make the judgement.

That is so obvious now that you say it! I did know the hallways are all videotaped, but I never connected it with the host. But that makes perfect sense: they could see when you leave the room.

OR. They could see you IN THE ROOM . . .

With the 4 of us we have run into the steward numerous times. And we all have a different itinerary. So the stewards can never seem to figure it out (I sure can't). The kids have come back from the club and said the steward cleaned around them. No big deal. Sometimes we showed up and they are cleaning and we said we'd come back. We try not to mess with their schedule for we don't have the key to lock/unlock the top bunk.

No matter what, they do a great job and have had some fantastic stewards.

We get connecting rooms and leave the doors open to sleep. When I was leaving one time the host asked if he could clean. I said sure, but the connecting door was open and there was still someone sleeping, so just clean the one room. He said he wasn't allowed to be in the room if anyone was in it, so I had to go back in and close the door before he could clean the empty room. Makes sense when you think of it, but he couldn't even go in to close the door. I had to do it.

Lol. I was in Costco the other day and the meat guy said he remembered me. Apparently, he's seen me shopping there before. I think once in the beginning of the summer I might have asked for help, but that was a little surprising. You don't think about all the people you pass during the day that might remember you even if you don't remember them.

When there is a card inside the card slot in your room, the steward's normal card won't work - i.e. it won't open the door. That's how they know when NOT to come in or whether someone is inside.

Beyond that, they seem to be almost permanently stationed outside in the hallway in the midday hours. If they see you leave and are close by, they will use this window of time.

Evenings are easier on DCL due to the assigned dinner seatings. I remember that, on the 'freestyle' NCL this summer, we would sometimes get a random knock on the door for housekeeping, and we would have to let them know we are inside.

1. There’s no room occupied sign on the door.
2. There’s no answer when the knock.
3. When the attempt to open door it’s not
latched on inside.

It’s not exactly rocket scuence

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter