How do late rides work at Hollywood Studios?

Mambo Junkie

DIS Veteran
We are here and we have Fantasmic at 8:00. There’s another show at 9:30. Can we ride after the first show is over? It says the park closes at 9. Slinky was down for early entry and it’s mobbed now

The vast majority of DHS guests attend the first Fantasmic show, making this the very best time of the day for multiple rerides on the headliners.

Just keep in mind that the posted wait times in the evening are intentionally inflated to discourage late riders and you’ll be good to go.

Lines will be pretty short between about 7 and 9 pm, then you’ll have plenty of time to make it over to the ampitheater for the 9:30 show. We’ve been doing this for years and have very rarely seen the stadium much more than half full.

I wonder how often RoTR goes down late at night? If you get in line at 8:55 and then wait 45 minutes, then it goes down, your out of luck, right?

I wonder how often RoTR goes down late at night? If you get in line at 8:55 and then wait 45 minutes, then it goes down, your out of luck, right?
These attractions are more likely to not fire up in the morning than they are to break down in the evening and the waits are much shorter than you would expect.

On our most recent visit, we hit Rise 80 minutes before close with a posted wait time of 100 minutes. The actual waits were 20 minutes for the first ride, 10 minutes for the second trip then the third was pretty much a walk on. (The posted wait had dropped to 80 by then.)

That was a pretty efficient use of time.

These attractions are more likely to not fire up in the morning than they are to break down in the evening and the waits are much shorter than you would expect.

On our most recent visit, we hit Rise 80 minutes before close with a posted wait time of 100 minutes. The actual waits were 20 minutes for the first ride, 10 minutes for the second trip then the third was pretty much a walk on. (The posted wait had dropped to 80 by then.)

That was a pretty efficient use of time.
Wonder just why the mornings are worse off than late at night? Could it be Disney's scheduling of CM as late as possible to save money?

This assumes the rides themselves are not closed at 9pm on the dot as usual depending on if there is a line outside the entrance. Unless there is some kind of preset return time after that then they will. Got turned away at a ride at almost 'exactly' 9pm, literally a few seconds after, but there was no line. Only those with the aforementioned return time. I was unhappy and had a short but polite discussion with them about making an exception. After that I was pretty upset, but in the end they were only doing their job.

I would have been there sooner, so in the end it was my own fault, but being night time I got lost even with the phone app. Lesson learned from that experience is to expect to get lost and allow the time for finding your way back. 😂

This assumes the rides themselves are not closed at 9pm on the dot as usual depending on if there is a line outside the entrance. Unless there is some kind of preset return time after that then they will. Got turned away at a ride at almost 'exactly' 9pm, literally a few seconds after, but there was no line. Only those with the aforementioned return time. I was unhappy and had a short but polite discussion with them about making an exception. After that I was pretty upset, but in the end they were only doing their job.

I would have been there sooner, so in the end it was my own fault, but being night time I got lost even with the phone app. Lesson learned from that experience is to expect to get lost and allow the time for finding your way back. 😂
The second the clock turns 9:00:00 the park is closed and the CM is quite right to turn people away at that time, regardless of line size. The digital clock at the attraction (which is clearly visible to all) must be x:59 to gain entrance to the attraction.

I would arrive at least by 8:45 to which ever ride I was lining up for.

We rode RotR at 8:50 with about a 15 minute wait. Most people were at Fantasmic during that time frame so loving through the park was easy. Then as we were leaving GE most guests has either exited after the first show or were in the second so it was a breeze getting out of the park.

Any rides at any of the parks that you really take a chance on with getting in line last minute? Any that can be more of a miss than a hit?

MK: Personally, Big Thunder. AK: Avatar or Everest. DHS: Oga's Cantina (true its not a ride, but still). EPCOT: Mission To Mars, though Im sure many would say Test Track.

Any rides at any of the parks that you really take a chance on with getting in line last minute? Any that can be more of a miss than a hit?
We’ve been doing this for a long time, and the only ride that ever broke down on us at closing time was the log ride over at Universal about 20 years ago.

They gave us free tickets to return the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter