How do I format a card? ANd ???'s

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
New camera, new to cards! Fuji A350, ? on reformatting,I only see one setting, it says format: ok, if you select next it says refomat ok or cancel. Book doesn't answer this?

Also, do I "reformat" each time I put a new card in ?

Someone at the store told me they see problems with corrupt cards with camera's that do video... have you heard that?

Thanks !~!

Yes reformat when you put a new card in, or after you have downloaded the pictures off the card. Just make sure you have downloaded all the pictures you want to keep because after formatting there is no way to recover your photos.

miss missy said:
? on reformatting,I only see one setting, it says format: ok, if you select next it says refomat ok or cancel. Book doesn't answer this?

Thanks !~!

Click OK there as well

miss missy said:
New camera, new to cards! Fuji A350, ? on reformatting,I only see one setting, it says format: ok, if you select next it says refomat ok or cancel. Book doesn't answer this?

Also, do I "reformat" each time I put a new card in ?

Someone at the store told me they see problems with corrupt cards with camera's that do video... have you heard that?

Thanks !~!

The reason it says OK or CANCEL at that point is to give you an extra level of confirmation, to prevent you from accidentally reformatting if you don't want to, because as We-Luv-Disney said, once you format, there is no way to recover the pics.

Any time you buy a new card, format it in your camera before using it; they all come pre-formatted, but it's best to format it in the camera it's actually being used in before you start shooting.

But as far as formatting every time you load a card into the camera (not a "new" card, but one of your spares), that varies from camera to camera. Some cameras lose pics often enough that it's best to format your cards after transferring pics off of them, every time. Other cameras are more forgiving, and you don't have to reformat very often.

To be safe, the best way is to wait till a card is full, transfer the pics off of it onto your computer or to CD, and immediately reformat the card before you put it back into your camera bag. This way, all of the spare cards in your bag are freshly formatted, and you won't need to format them when you put them into the camera, since this would cause a delay that might make you miss an important shot.

Thanks!!!

I have a bunch of cards for this trip. A friend gave me 5 and I ought two LOL! So he says he doesn't reformat them, just once wehen they are new. I will do the two new ones...

I will not be transfering pics until I get home. So should I reformat them all now while they are blank and have them ready? Or just my 2 new one? I already checked and all his are erased "no images."

Whatdoyouthink?

I would say reformat them all now so they are ready when you need them.

Ok thanks! As you can tell by all my posts, I am so nervous! I gotta trust data, its hard, ya know. You would never know I work on data telcom would ya :rotfl:

I am new to cards also and didn't think about formatting until read it in the book. I have already taken a few test pics, so if I'm understanding correctly I should copy them off onto my pc and then reformat the memory card for best results? (I'm nervous too.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter