How Do 2 Days Disappear At Once?

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I was online at 8:00am on the dot to book a Value 1BR for 10/9-10/14. At 7:59, it was available (duh) but at 8:00, it was still available and when I went to book it, I got a message saying I was outside my booking window (I'm not) and that I needed to refresh the page. When I refreshed the page, it now shows that 10/9 AND 10/10 and not available. How can this POSSIBLY happen???

IIRC, that is the message you get when someone else has a faster computer or if you are just a few nanoseconds too early to book (as determined by Disney's computer). Seems lots of members are walking for Columbus Day weekend.

Sorry you didn't get it.

Well, I was trying to join the walkers, but it looks like I may not have to since now the 8th is available and the 9th and 10th are not. I still don't see how the 10th can be full already, but it is what it is...

The dates I am looking for are actually October 20-25 but since I have such a small amount of points to work with and I would REALLY rather have a 1BR vs a studio, I figured I would attempt to walk the 1BR value. It looks like I may have luck picking up the "scraps" behind the walkers because 10/3 through 10/8 is currently available right now. If I have to, I will take a studio, but since I don't even know who will be going with me on this trip (friend or family??), I would like to try and have two sleeping areas secured in case I am going with a friend instead of a family member. I know that my 15yo daughter will go with me if nobody else does so I have chosen the dates based on her school vacation schedule.

From what has been explained, you get that message because when it verifies the room is still there and it’s not for the check in day, the system now sees your trip as starting the next day, which is of course outside the window.

Personally, I think it is a confusing message. But, the end result is that other people got it faster than you and as Carol mentioned it is based on nanoseconds in many cases.

So sorry!

Well, I was trying to join the walkers, but it looks like I may not have to since now the 8th is available and the 9th and 10th are not. I still don't see how the 10th can be full already, but it is what it is...
Here’s how the 10th can already be full.

When you looked at the availability prior to 8 AM today, you very well could have been seeing that there was just one 1BR Value villa available for 11/09/2021 and going forward. There are only 10, after all. If you clicked right at 8:00 on your device, it was running ahead of DVC’s clock. Unfortunately, the next owner got lucky and didn’t run into that problem while you refreshed the page. They got the 9th, 10th and quite possibly more nights after that. Meanwhile, other owners (who had booked thru the night of 10/10/2021 by having a beginning night any time earlier) already had the nights of the 9th and 10th booked for the other nine 1 BR Value villas.

It just means nobody is checking out of any of those rooms that day. Right now Club Level studios don't have availability until the 14th.

With 300,000+ members, could be you are not the only one trying to book these dates.

I have a question somewhat related to this. It's been a while since I've tried to book a "hard to get" reservation. In fact, until this morning I didn't know a SV studio at RIV was hard to get at 11 months (I know they are at 7). Anyway, I just want to make sure I attempted correctly.

I had my search queued up before 8am, room was available. Once time.gov hit 8am I pressed book. I got the aforementioned "refresh" notification. I refreshed, and it was still available. I hit book again and then got the message that it was outside my window and I needed to book on 4/2/2021 (which would be 7 months). I found that weird considering I was attempted to use RIV points. However, they were points I was going to bank while booking so I don't know if that caused it or what. Of course it was gone after that screen.

I'm going to try again tomorrow (thankfully tried a few days early of my intended dates) and this time I already banked my points in case that was the problem (doubtful but who knows). I guess my main question is should I wait until 8am to even search? Or is is best to search first and wait until 8am to press book? I feel like I've always done the latter and been successful but again it's been a while since I tried to book a tough reservation so I just want to make sure.

I have a question somewhat related to this. It's been a while since I've tried to book a "hard to get" reservation. In fact, until this morning I didn't know a SV studio at RIV was hard to get at 11 months (I know they are at 7). Anyway, I just want to make sure I attempted correctly.

I had my search queued up before 8am, room was available. Once time.gov hit 8am I pressed book. I got the aforementioned "refresh" notification. I refreshed, and it was still available. I hit book again and then got the message that it was outside my window and I needed to book on 4/2/2021 (which would be 7 months). I found that weird considering I was attempted to use RIV points. However, they were points I was going to bank while booking so I don't know if that caused it or what. Of course it was gone after that screen.

I'm going to try again tomorrow (thankfully tried a few days early of my intended dates) and this time I already banked my points in case that was the problem (doubtful but who knows). I guess my main question is should I wait until 8am to even search? Or is is best to search first and wait until 8am to press book? I feel like I've always done the latter and been successful but again it's been a while since I tried to book a tough reservation so I just want to make sure.
I think you were one step too far prior to 8AM. From my experience, and it seems most that have posted about it, you need to run the search or refresh at 8AM rather than click on book. The notice you were given is what happens when you had dates chosen that are no longer available....it's worded incorrectly but that's what happens.

Been trying to get end of October into November and haven't had any luck, same experiences as you @kristenrice . I'll try to do the search instead of hitting book right at 8am tomorrow. Was getting an error message and it's been frustrating. We just got back from our November trip and I didn't have a hard time booking November last year at this time. Starting to worry I won't get our dates! Goodluck with your reservation!

I think you were one step too far prior to 8AM. From my experience, and it seems most that have posted about it, you need to run the search or refresh at 8AM rather than click on book. The notice you were given is what happens when you had dates chosen that are no longer available....it's worded incorrectly but that's what happens.
Thanks! I will try that tomorrow.

I had the same exact thing happen trying to get a standard view studio at the boardwalk this morning. My points were already banked. It’s very frustrating for sure. I have never had any issue getting the room I wanted in the past. I’ve tried each day since Sunday. I guess I’ll keep trying.

Yes I agree it's frustrating as I've never had problems in the past either. It appears people are likely walking though because I see that previous nights through Oct 31 are available. Either way, I have four more tries to get my dates (check-in 11/6/2021) so hopefully using the suggested method above works. If not, hopefully I'm right about the walkers and can just pick it up one day at a time shortly thereafter.

@JETSDAD I'd like to thank you again for the tips yesterday. Today I used the refresh method and was able to book the SV studio at RIV.

That is great! I tried the same method and didn’t get my Standard view studio at BWV. I still have 3 more tries until my intended check in date of November 6. I will probably just book a preferred view if I have to. I was just hoping to use fewer points.

I was able to get my dates...twice, actually!

I originally booked all 5 nights (Oct 20-25) on November 20. I was able to get the 1BR value at AKV at 8am without an issue. But by 8:05, they were all gone...phew! I was relieved. Then, I remembered that I had contemplated the possibility of trying to switch the first two nights to a studio at a different resort at the 7-month mark. I have no issue with split stays and I would love to stay at the Riviera for a couple nights if possible. Since a preferred studio at RR is the same number of points as the 1BR value (and we are talking about a We/Th night), I decided that I should try to break my reservation into 2 parts to make it easier to modify and/or waitlist at the 7 month window. So, with great fear in my heart, I modified my 5-night stay down to a 2-night stay. Then, on November 22, I went back online at 8am sharp and grabbed the 1BR value again for the 3-night reservation. Boy, was I relieved that it was available! I have all 5 nights at AKV now, but I have the option to change the first 2 nights to pretty much any available studio at any resort on property. I would not be able to stay at GFV (lake view), Poly (lake view), or BLT (TPV). Any other resort/view would be less than the 1BR value at AKV so I could either book it or wait list it without having to borrow additional points. Now, I just have to wait until March to see what might be available.

I had the same exact thing happen trying to get a standard view studio at the boardwalk this morning. My points were already banked. It’s very frustrating for sure. I have never had any issue getting the room I wanted in the past. I’ve tried each day since Sunday. I guess I’ll keep trying.

Last year was the first time since I bought my contract in 2000 that I didn't get my preferred nights at BWV first shot. Same thing is happening this year as we speak.

I'm booking what I can. My back up is a different view and I'm willing to do a split stay if necessary. Definitely keep trying and good luck to both of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter