• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do “hotel bucket” park reservations work?

AndrewC

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know or have first hand experience with how “hotel bucket” reservations work?

If I'm staying one night do I only get to dip into the hotel bucket once, or twice? If I’m staying Saturday night would my Saturday AND Sunday park reservations be from the hotel bucket (if needed)? Or would I only get one and pick whichever day?

I am only assuming, but I think it covers the check in and check out. So, one night would give you 2 days of parks. I am assuming that based on that whenever I book one night, they automatically add 2 days of tickets to my cart.

Yes, you get checkin and checkout day from the resort bucket. We are staying 4 nights starting tomorrow at DLH. I bought 5 day PH and we were able to book the resort bucket for all 5 days (check in and check out day included). The regular PH tickets were sold out for our days, so resort bucket was essential for this last minute trip!

This is fantastic! This is helping to add a little edge back to staying on site. I’ve got a magic key with all six days reserved already but will be down there two more days, knowing I can dip into the resort bucket puts my mind at ease so much more. It’s smart for Disney too because now I really value resort buckets and making use of them!

I wish I knew about this before I bought 3 day park hoppers. Staying at GC and wanted to go day of arrival but would need a 4 day park hopper. Wonder if we can add a day to tickets and reserve arrival day?

I wish I knew about this before I bought 3 day park hoppers. Staying at GC and wanted to go day of arrival but would need a 4 day park hopper. Wonder if we can add a day to tickets and reserve arrival day?
You can add a day but you will have to do it in person at the GS booth in DTD when you get there (and this chews up time). Alternative would be to call and cancel your 3 day tickets (refund will show up in a few weeks) and re-buy 4 day tickets now. Then you can make all of your reservations now.

I’ve got a magic key with all six days reserved already but will be down there two more days, knowing I can dip into the resort bucket puts my mind at ease so much more.

You can’t dip into the resort bucket with a Magic Key. First hand experience here, don’t make the same mistake we did. The hotel bucket is only for tickets purchased as part of the hotel package.

If you want to use a Magic Key to enter the park you HAVE to use the Magic Key bucket. If you want to guarantee those days buy an additional ticket and make those reservations.

You can’t dip into the resort bucket with a Magic Key. First hand experience here, don’t make the same mistake we did. The hotel bucket is only for tickets purchased as part of the hotel package.

If you want to use a Magic Key to enter the park you HAVE to use the Magic Key bucket. If you want to guarantee those days buy an additional ticket and make those reservations.

Well you guys all made me nervous enough that I "risked it" to verify. I cancelled one of my key reservations, then I logged in and used the "make theme park reservations" from my hotel reservation that's linked to my account. Sure enough it showed me all of October was available to start at either park, currently that would only apply to resort bucket. I then quickly remade the reservation that I cancelled. So it appears that as long as the resort bucket has availability the moment I walk into my first park I'll quickly be able to get a reservation for later in the week even if the AP bucket is filled up.

Edit: And I should note that when I remade the cancelled reservation, I used the resort bucket. So it's not a glitch that will error out when you finally hit reserve or whatever, it works.

I’m glad to hear that this is the case. When I called earlier that’s what they were telling me and what was showing up. So now I’m salty at Disney for making us stress to get those last minute reservations

I’m glad to hear that this is the case. When I called earlier that’s what they were telling me and what was showing up. So now I’m salty at Disney for making us stress to get those last minute reservations
Absolutely. Something changed somewhere. When I got the key on the first day this was NOT possible and when I called to change some hotel reservations they didn't even know a hotel bucket existed. I asked about just buying single day tickets and if since I was staying on site they would make sure I could access at least one park even if it showed sold out with single day tickets and they said there was no special access for hotel guests. Sorry your cast member didn't know what was going on... but they're not being kept up to date or being trained on it at least.

Glad I could help confirm it for everyone... hopefully it doesn't get changed again! I highly suggest anyone with a key that MIGHT be in this situation, even months down the road, book their key reservations WITH the hotel reservation link to confirm it still works before you just assume you're covered.

Hypothetical question: if I were to stay at a DLR hotel and arrive on a Thursday and leave on a Monday, then bought a magic key that didn’t give me a Saturday or Sunday, could I use a bucket for those weekend days or only for check in and check out days?

Hypothetical question: if I were to stay at a DLR hotel and arrive on a Thursday and leave on a Monday, then bought a magic key that didn’t give me a Saturday or Sunday, could I use a bucket for those weekend days or only for check in and check out days?

A magic key that's blacked out on the weekends, or just that doesn't have park availability? I suspect if it's blacked out it won't work, or if it does, it's currently a bug. Disney isn't doing this as a cheaper way for you to gain entry to the park, they're doing it for a "Hey, you spent $500/night on a hotel and you have valid tickets, we'll make sure to fit you into the park"

A magic key that's blacked out on the weekends, or just that doesn't have park availability? I suspect if it's blacked out it won't work, or if it does, it's currently a bug. Disney isn't doing this as a cheaper way for you to gain entry to the park, they're doing it for a "Hey, you spent $500/night on a hotel and you have valid tickets, we'll make sure to fit you into the park"
Black out. I usually go in October from Canada so missing a weekend if I buy the middle tier keys means one or two days less in the park. But if I get a key and use my DVC points for GCH, and get my weekend back… maybe I’ll get the pass 🤷🏻‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter