How DCL fans view other ships…

I remember our last cruise (med round trip 2017) approaching the Disney Magic at the Port of Barcelona and thinking “wow, it’s tiny!!” compared to the other ships in port, but that’s why I was glad I was on Disney, certainly not looking down my nose at the others (your pic made me laugh though!)

Our next cruise (15 days eek!) will be our last Disney cruise I’m sure, with my kids past the age of caring about the activities. It’s certainly given me the cruise bug though
It was crazy pulling up to the port in Barcelona, and have the Dream look as big as the other ships. I remember how small the Magic always looked. Enjoy your next cruise. We are in the same boat. We wrangled our son into a Dream Cruise that ended on Saturday and one last Panama Canal cruise in October. He said the Med cruise on the Dream was his favorite so far. Lots of kids in 1820 society. Fingers crossed for next one.

Disney has so far had the best ships doing those short cruises out of PC. Other cruise lines put their best ships on the 7 day Caribbeans. .

Royal is now throwing Icon of the Seas up against the Wish. So we'll see. As someone that has cruised Disney 29 times and Royal three times and has experienced the abomination known as the Wish. I think Royal will give them a run for their money on the short cruises out of PC.

All my Royal cruises have been great I really like both cruise lines. It' all comes down to price and itinerary.
Utopia. Icon will be 7 days.

This was our view in Port Canaveral February 29th 2020. We were on the NCL Breakaway.
20200229_155759.jpg
We were doing the same itinerary (7 day Western Caribbean) as Disney just in reverse. We were just on the Fantasy November/December 2019 and wanted to try something different. Total cost for an NCL inside state room was less than $1400.00. Needless to say a week after we got back that was it for cruising for a long time. Did not finally get back on a ship, the Fantasy till November/December 2022.

We have sailed on 15 Disney cruises and have been on all 5 ships. Never tried another line. We decided to do a 4 night out of Port Canaveral in late October. The Wish , for an inside room, was a little over $3000. Checked Royal on a whim and found we could do the same dates, same itinerary (except for castaway/coco cay) for $1482 in a balcony stateroom. We are now trying Royal’s Independence of the seas.
We have one set for the Dream for next spring so not abandoning DCL. But if Royal suits us we will be doing less Disney cruises for that price.
The price difference is truly astounding.

Instead of

we just chuckle a bit because we sail Concierge Level/all inclusive + Butler at DCL WISH Verandah rates :duck: on another Line.

Just for kicks, here's the Oasis of the Seas next to HAL's Maasdam (smaller than the Magic) in St. Thomas.
I do have to say that when you're on an Oasis class ship, you can get a great overhead view of the pool decks on other ships, which helps to determine if the amenities there are right for you.

One thing I really like about Royal is the Solarium. The covered space is really great when it's a little cooler out. I also really enjoyed the Players' sports bar. There is an upcharge, but the cost is minimal and the food is good. It's great when you just want a good quality gourmet burger, wings, or nachos. It's a nice break from the MDR.

I'm excited to see how Royals' new ships turn out and of course, I'm hoping the Treasure is an improvement over the Wish.

I highly recommend Odyssey of the Seas if want a new ship that's not huge. It's around the size of the Dream.

Utopia. Icon will be 7 days.
I was going to post the same thing. For about the same price as an interior room on Disney Wish on a 3 night Wish cruise on 12/6/2024 ($2347 per person) you could book a Grand Suite 1 bedroom ($2382 per person) on the RCL Utopia of the Seas3 night depart 12/20/2024.
1689556664183.png
1689556896841.png

Attachments

• 1689556782789.png
    1689556782789.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 3
I was going to post the same thing. For about the same price as an interior room on Disney Wish on a 3 night Wish cruise on 12/6/2024 ($2347 per person) you could book a Grand Suite 1 bedroom ($2382 per person) on the RCL Utopia of the Seas3 night depart 12/20/2024.
View attachment 778309
View attachment 778311
Those prices on DCL are for 2 people and inside is 2347 for two people. Utopia is 543 pp so 1086. That is still a huge price difference in every room category.

Those prices on DCL are for 2 people and inside is 2347 for two people. Utopia is 543 pp so 1086. That is still a huge price difference in every room category.
you are correct. Did DCL used to show prices per person?

you are correct. Did DCL used to show prices per person?
Yes, they did. I guess they decided to be different. I'm sure it's shocking for people that aren't familiar with DCl and think the price is pp.

+ taxes and port fees ($104.77 pp)

Sailing same date, same category (interior). Utopia is $1313.54 for 2 people. $1430 if you want to pick your own cabin (forward or aft).
$1K less than Disney.

Never deviated from DCL until post covid. Have sailed three times on DCL (18 times total) and just found things sub par particularly lack of staff in the dining room. Mediocre food and length of time to be served insane.
Entertainment lacking apart from main shows.
But the deciding factor is that crazy check in which seemed to always take forever at a time that platinums used not to have to check in to select a PAT.
So I’ve just taken three Princess cruises. A totally different but not inferior product in any way. Some aspects DCL still come out on top but on many others Princess knocks spots off them. Their online check in was efficient and fast no spinning wheels. Great Port Arrival Times. So easy once at the port, smooth and quick boarding!
Entertainment prolific everywhere, and so much variety. Still loads going on late evening. Crown Grill very small upcharge for gorgeous steaks or other items. Loved anytime dining. Crew easily as friendly as DCL.
So this is my first year ever with no DCL cruise booked and nothing so far for next year either. I still hope that things will change to bring the brand back up to one that is premium but until that time I’ll continue to diversify. I’m tempted to check out Celebrity, and Regent next.

On our last cruise, I watched a Carnival ship role in and I commented on how bad the ship looked. Rust on the bottom, needed a paint job. Just looked dirty. Then I started looking at the ship a little closer and I realized it was the ship my wife and I cruised on for our honeymoon in 2002. The boat broke down in the middle of the Caribbean with no power for 8 hours on that cruise. Almost 20 years later, that ship was still cruising for Carnival. It was 10 years after our honeymoon before I could convince her to take another one, this time on Disney. We've never looked back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter