• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How dark is Sci-Fi?

wendlle

Aussie Wendy
Even after all our visits there are so many restaurants we haven't tried and Sci-Fi is one of them.
I booked an ADR for our trip this September but am wondering exactly how dark is it in there?
We will two kids, DD3 and DD10months. The 3yo will be fine but I'm wondering about the 10month old, I'm just not too sure about this restaurant.
I have also seen photos of the cars and they look like they are 2-2 seating. But I see they do have regular tables.
What do you do when you go with small kids if you've been there before?
The cars look cool and I know my 3yo would think they are cool but they aren't practical if we have to sit 2-2

It's pretty dark. A lot of the pictures you see online are a little brighter than reality in many cases. I've eaten here somewhere in the 40 times range, and this is a pretty accurate representation to me:

sci-fi_dine-in_3.jpg

The cars are 2x2x2 seating for adults or older kids. When our kids were pre-school age, we could easily do one adult and two kids per row. They will also bring you a high chair and put it alongside the regular rows, if you prefer.

There is also a different seating option where you sit left and right rather than straight ahead. Think a picnic table with a car front and rear end. Here is a fairly good picture of that.

4729993457_80a2d76103_o.jpg

You can request to be seated at these tables when you check in, if they have any available.

I hope that helps!

If you really want to go, I would recommend asking for a table instead of one of the cars. You are correct. You basically sit 2 by 2 in the cars and the table space is very limited. If you have to assist your children with their meals, it can get very uncomfortable, IMHO.

I enjoy it, but my boyfriend does not want to go back. It was so dark he couldn't see well enough to cut all the fat off his steak. He wants to be able to see what he is eating.

Thankyou for the replies and those photos are awesome.
I think we will be fine as long as we can get the table, I didn't realise they had a "car" on them also so that will be cool.
I understand I may have to wait for a table but that will be fine.

I enjoy it, but my boyfriend does not want to go back. It was so dark he couldn't see well enough to cut all the fat off his steak. He wants to be able to see what he is eating.
Lol. I’m sorry. I find this incredibly funny. We love the sci fi. Fat intake or not. Great dining experience!

Last edited:

It's dark and I disliked the experience with 2 adults and 3 children. Now that I know about the tables... I guess I could give it another go.

DH & I love Sci Fi and wouldn't plan a trip without it.... even though I admit I use the flashlight on my phone to see our menu so it definitely is dark. But oh so unique and fun.

I've always had a bit of pride that I've never needed a flashlight to read the menu. When we went back in October, I pulled out my phone and turned on the flashlight. I looked over, and my wife was giving me the Cheshire Cat grin. All I could say was "Don't even say it." :P

It is DARK. And after a long park day, hot, sweaty, tired, and not expecting it, it made me angry tbh. I had my phone flashlight on the whole time. We're going back in December and unless there is a TS in SWGE open and we can get a ressie, we'll be going to Sci-Fi for dinner for my son's birthday dinner. But I'll know this time and I think that it will be better.

We’ve only done sci-fi once but we really liked it. It is definitely dark in there. I had to use my phone flashlight for the menu and for part of the time I was eating

We have only eaten at Sci Fi once because it was so dark. We could not see what we were eating either. We won't go back. We are in the we-like-to-see-what-we-are-eating camp.

Sci Fi is fun. It is dark inside, but I never found it so dark that I couldn't tell what I was eating. The lights on each table help a lot with that.
I never had any trouble seeing the menu. I have been in other restaurants where I needed to use the light on the phone to see the menu. I did not have that problem here.

I've been twice. I really enjoyed it the first time but not so much on our last visit. It was cold inside which bothered me though. It is pretty dark, but I was able to see ok. It's a unique setup though and fun to experience.

We have been a handful of times and I realllllly enjoy it! It is low-light, cool, quiet-ish, and a great respite from the bright, hot chaos that is outside its doors.

I have never found it "too dark" to read the menu nor see my food. And 2 x 2 seating works great, IMO, for families of 4. Each parent gets 1 kid and it's like a mini vacation :)

It's pretty dark, the seating arrangement stinks for our family of 3, and the food is below average for a TS restaurant.

Hard pass for us.

It's dark. It's fun a experience, but dark. I did find we sat next to each in the car and didn't talk much, which is weird for us...me. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter