How dark is it in early December - thinking of Animal Kingdom

japanese maple

Mouseketeer
Chances are Animal Kingdom will only be open until 7, maybe 8 one night at the latest during our early December trip.
Will we have any time to be there while it's dark, or at least almost dark, to walk through Pandora?

It will be dark long before then but I’m not sure AK is open that late in December. I seem to remember it closing at 5 or 6 last month..

The sun sets at 5:30 p.m. and if the park closes at 7 p.m. next year as it did in December 2023, you should have plenty of darkness.

However, what Disney plans to do with its hours a year in advance is unknown to us and probably unknown to them as well.

Even in the summer when it's light later, we were able to see Pandora all lit up by getting in line for FoP 5 minutes before park closing. In December, even if the park ends up closing at 5 or 6 if you jump in line it should be lit up when you come out.

How did you find those two weeks? That is when we are going. Tuesday after Thanksgivng.
They were there in December 2023.

This thread is about December 2024, and no one knows yet what the hours for AK will be then. Past history indicates 7 p.m., but that's all.

They were there in December 2023.

This thread is about December 2024, and no one knows yet what the hours for AK will be then. Past history indicates 7 p.m., but that's all.

Yes, I understand that and I understand how future hours work. But they went the same two weeks in 2023 that we are going in 2024 and I am asking them how they found it to be.

OP - if AK closes at 8, or 7, or even 6 (which isn't likely), you'll definitely have some quality dark time at AK before the park closes. We go that time of year most years, and we always make it a point to get to Pandora after dark - along with the projections on the Tree Of Life.

We just visited in December during Christmas week. AK was open until 8 which was unusual for them. It started to get dark around 4:30. We stayed until closing because it's the only time of year you can really experience Pandora at night. I highly recommend it. It was my favorite thing about our trip. AK is beautiful at night. Remember to check out the lanterns in Asia as well.

How did you find those two weeks? That is when we are going. Tuesday after Thanksgivng.
We always arrive the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Last month we stayed until the 12th. Crowds weren’t bad that first week but did start picking up the 2nd week, but not as bad as Christmas week. Weather was mostly in the 60s and 70s, with a couple of days in the low 80s. However, that can change from year to year, 2021 and 2022 were terrific, most days around 80. It’s possible it can get cold at that time, but having been there many times in early December and late December, your odds of warmer weather are better in early December. As to daylight, it is full dark about 5:45. Do bring some warm clothing for night, even if it’s a warm day, temperatures can drop fast after sunset that time of year.

We had plenty of darkness on our Dec 6-15 vacation in 2021. We were able to get some great photos in Pandora. It was wonderful.

We always arrive the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Last month we stayed until the 12th. Crowds weren’t bad that first week but did start picking up the 2nd week, but not as bad as Christmas week. Weather was mostly in the 60s and 70s, with a couple of days in the low 80s. However, that can change from year to year, 2021 and 2022 were terrific, most days around 80. It’s possible it can get cold at that time, but having been there many times in early December and late December, your odds of warmer weather are better in early December. As to daylight, it is full dark about 5:45. Do bring some warm clothing for night, even if it’s a warm day, temperatures can drop fast after sunset that time of year.

Sounds great. Thank you!

Chances are Animal Kingdom will only be open until 7, maybe 8 one night at the latest during our early December trip.
Will we have any time to be there while it's dark, or at least almost dark, to walk through Pandora?

Yes! It was dark when we went early last month and it did close at 7pm at least some of the nights we were there. It was great because our other trip was in June and AK closed too early to see it at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter