how crowded is Mickey's not so scart party 10/28?

dancebird78

Earning My Ears
We are considering going to MK for the party on Friday night. I have a 9yr old and 6yr old and it will be our first time visiting. I'm wondering how crowded it might be that close to halloween. Anyone have any idea? I'm planning to stay at the POP that night and then go back to MK the next day since that is all the time that we have. The tickets are so expensive for the party that night, I wonder if it makes sense to purchase regular MK tickets for the day and then leave at 7pm? I was hoping for a savings, but there really isn't one.

Could we get a lot accomplished during the party before the kids are just too tired to hang anymore?

Can you get a lot accomplished at MNSSHP?

Well, I went last year in September and mid October. Neither night was sold out. Was it crowded?

For the September visit, I was standing outside the Diamond Horseshoe Review, about 4 people back from the parade, so it was pretty crowded. I followed the (street filled wall of people) at the end of the parade to the castle, where I watched the show and the fireworks. Show was good, the fireworks were great. Crowded? It was your standard sea of people for as far as you could see.

The second time I sat on the curb at Main Street over an hour before hand in order to avoid standing several people back from the parade, along with all the other parade campers. There's a costume for you. Dress up as a camper with a campsite with Coleman lanterns and grills. Sadly, you will not stand out.

Keep in mind, neither night was sold out when I went. October 28 will most likely be sold out. As I recall, the last week or so is typically sold out. So if you're thinking of going, buy your tickets soon-ish.

Since you are paying (a lot) more for these few hours, you should make a plan and decide what you want to do.

On these nights, you are paying for special Halloweenie things you can't see or do any other night, such as:

Trick or Treat (not exactly free candy)
Special Halloween character meet and greet
Castle show
Castle Fireworks
Boo-To-You Parade (hitch hiking ghosts!)
People watching (great costumes)
Hang out on Main Street for the lights and music

These things are only available on the MNSSHP nights.

The character meet and greet is tempting. But the wait times are long, no FastPass+ScreamEdition. You can burn up a lot of time getting these photos of special characters; like Jack and Sally. Maybe find some great photos people share here and photoshop yourself in.

The show is good, if you can get close enough and you think your kids will like it. There's no Mickey and Minnie in this show. It's all the bad guys, including the big bag of scary himself, Mr. Oogie Boogie.

The fireworks (narrated by your Ghost Host) are fabulous. Better than Christmas, in my opinion. (no, I'm not starting a war on Christmas)

The parade is good. The Hitch Hiking Ghosts are awesome! The Boo-To-You song will get stuck in your head. (in a good way)

Hanging out on main street, watching all the people in costume walk by, with the buildings lit up for Halloween and listening to Halloween themed music was actually a unique and entertaining Disney experience. These are the only nights adults can wear costumes. That alone makes it pretty special.

You need to decide what your kids will want to do. Don't get caught up in a list of must-do's. (even my list, which is clearly the correct list) Who cares what you do (except you), as long as you all had a great time. If that happens, then your experience is priceless. (espeically if you don't keep the reciept)

It will be very crowded. The draw for the parties, IMHO, are the special events (Halloween parade, fireworks, trick or treating, etc.). If this is your first visit to MK, I would buy a regular ticket, go during the day and leave at 7 pm. I would highly recommend getting there for rope drop to see the MK opening show. IMHO, this is an amazing way to see MK for the very first time. And being on Main Street when the park first opens is magical. All of the Main Street vehicles are out, the Main Street Trolley goes by. It's MK at its best. You will also have the entire day to enjoy the park at a much lower price. Plus, by not staying out late, you will be well rested for your second day at MK.

We have been to WDW multiple times. DS is now 8 and I've only taken him to one party. He barely made it through the fireworks and then we had to leave because he was so tired. It really wasn't worth the cost of the party tickets.

My suggestion would be to go to MK, opening to 7 pm, consider having a nice dinner at one of the monorail resorts, Ft. W or Wilderness Lodge, go back to your hotel and get some rest for your second day at MK.

We have gone to MNSSHP for the last 4 years in a row. The biggest thing is that you need to decide what your priorities are because it will be crowded & impossible to do everything. Do you want to ride attractions at night, meet characters you won't normally see, eat special Halloween Party food, watch the parades shows & fireworks, collect candy? If you focus on just one or 2 things than it will be easier to complete your list. If parades, shows & fireworks are your priority, you will need to spend your time lined up to get a good spot. If meeting characters is your priority, you will need to plan to spend a lot of time in line to meet characters. Don't forget to at least visit a few trick or treat stations & collect candy to eat while you are waiting for other things. For my kids (now 9 & 11) the party is all about the candy. We focus mostly on collecting candy, ride a few rides in between & watch the parade & show from a distance. During 2015 we left the Halloween Party with 17 pounds of candy & I mean the good stuff. Their record was 19 pounds a couple years back. My kiddos like to bring home extra candy to share with class mates & store in the freezer for a special treat.

All of that being said, if you do go, be sure to pick up your Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom Halloween party card that is only for the guests of MNSSHP. One per person & free of charge. My kids are also HUGE fans & collectors of the Sorcerer cards so it is one more excuse for us to attend the parties. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter