How close do you have to get to see the Hollywood sign?

ColoradoLime

wait awhile between eating and goat staring
DH wants to see the Hollywood sign while we're close. He doesn't want to do anything else in Hollywood, just drive by to say we've seen it in person. I'm not thrilled about having to drive in traffic just for a flyby. So how far into town do we have to get to be able to see it?

Just because it is such an icon- I think it is worth seeing. You can get off the freeway on Hollywood Blvd and just drive down it towards Graumans and stop anywhere- look north and there is the sign. Look at the sidewalk and there is the walk of fame...it is pretty cool and you don't have to venture too far off the freeway to see both- the stars go for blocks and blocks...

It's about 40-45 minutes from the Katella/Disnyland area. I just did this with my family. We stopped by the Grauman's Chinese Theatre which is a dumpy area. Hollywood Boulevard is nasty. There's people on that street that scared me at 10:00am. Homeless people and people wacked-out on drugs. People were constantly asking me to go on one of their tour buses. (not exaggerating, pressure sales big time) If I were you I would not stop at Hollywood Blvd at all. Just drive down it and see the sign from there, and maybe take a short trip from there to Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills. Stay away from Venice beach too...that's also a dump. Better yet, you might just want to stay at DL. If not for DL, I would never have anything to do with the LA area.

Donald1969 said:
It's about 40-45 minutes from the Katella/Disnyland area. I just did this with my family. We stopped by the Grauman's Chinese Theatre which is a dumpy area. Hollywood Boulevard is nasty. There's people on that street that scared me at 10:00am. Homeless people and people wacked-out on drugs. People were constantly asking me to go on one of their tour buses. (not exaggerating, pressure sales big time) If I were you I would not stop at Hollywood Blvd at all. Just drive down it and see the sign from there, and maybe take a short trip from there to Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills. Stay away from Venice beach too...that's also a dump. Better yet, you might just want to stay at DL. If not for DL, I would never have anything to do with the LA area.

Yeah this is exactly why I'm not thrilled about it. I don't want to do anything else so it seems like a long drive just to look at a sign. Lol

We usually fly into SNA.
Years ago I had to fly into LAX and could see the sign from the plane.

If you're flying into LAX ask one of the flight attendants if they know whether or not you'll be able to see the sign.

From the plane the sign looked better. When I was in the cab going to downtown LA for a meeting the sign was hazed with smog.

Good luck, I wouldn't want to waste time looking for the Hollywood sign on a short trip.

Geemo

We were thinking about taking one the tour buses that pick up at our Anaheim hotel and tour LA/Hollywood for the day and then drop you back off at the hotel. They give you a choice of Santa Monica Pier or Venice Beach. We were going to chose Santa Monica. Glad we made that choice after reading your post.

For the same reasons as most people, 1st time to LA and want to see the Hollywood sign, Grauman's Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Dr, etc.

Also would like to go to Catalina Island and maybe down to San Diego while we are at Disneyland too.

We were thinking about taking one the tour buses that pick up at our Anaheim hotel and tour LA/Hollywood for the day and then drop you back off at the hotel. They give you a choice of Santa Monica Pier or Venice Beach. We were going to chose Santa Monica. Glad we made that choice after reading your post.

For the same reasons as most people, 1st time to LA and want to see the Hollywood sign, Grauman's Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Dr, etc.

Also would like to go to Catalina Island and maybe down to San Diego while we are at Disneyland too.

Santa Monica Pier IS a nice area and is fun. Venice is a freak show! Stay clear of walking on Hollywood Blvd and Venice. I was just at both places on 12/28. Venice is a good place if you are a skate punk or a pot head. They have many physicians that will see you at Venice Beach to prescribe what's illegal in other States.

Yeah this is exactly why I'm not thrilled about it. I don't want to do anything else so it seems like a long drive just to look at a sign. Lol

I totally understand how your husband feels. You really want to see the landmark because you are in LA and you don't know if you'll have another opportunity. Been there and done that! It is a long drive too. I think it was 40-45 minutes for us from the Annabella hotel. Oh, regardless of where you go make sure you take your GPS. My GPS in Missouri is just okay and I rarely use it, but it was a HUGE help in LA. Concrete everywhere!

Oh, and U-Turns are legal which is really cool.

Oh wow- scared at 10 am? Op dont let this freak you- yes the area is run down, but it wasn't scary. We walked for blocks up one side and down the other with the kids and my mom so we could see the stars. No one bothered us, the guys trying to sell their tours are just trying to make a living. Just keep shaking your head no at the sales pitches. I thought it was great seeing where so many Tv shows, movies and books are set. If seeing the stars isnt your thing i know there is a popular overlook for the sign- but you miss the Hollywood scene- which is worth the drive just to see the people who dress up in costume for pics with the tourists....

I moved this thread over to the Southern California forum. The Disneyland forum is for Disneyland-specific planning, whereas the SoCal forum covers other areas.

...If not for DL, I would never have anything to do with the LA area.

Donald1969 -

I live in L.A. There are some questionable areas around the entire county, but my area is better. There are a lot of great places to see and things to do in L.A., but I guess it's not for everyone. For me, it's home.

sunny45 -

I have a photo-filled report from my day trip to Catalina Island last July (see the blue link at the very bottom of my signature below), which you may or may not have already come across on the board. It may be of interest to you if you are considering a trip to the Island.

Catalina has always been my 'other' favorite place in SoCal, second to Disneyland, and I used to go there every year. Last year was my first trip back to Catalina in a while, and I loved it just as much as ever.

Oh wow- scared at 10 am? Op dont let this freak you- yes the area is run down, but it wasn't scary. We walked for blocks up one side and down the other with the kids and my mom so we could see the stars. No one bothered us, the guys trying to sell their tours are just trying to make a living. Just keep shaking your head no at the sales pitches. I thought it was great seeing where so many Tv shows, movies and books are set. If seeing the stars isnt your thing i know there is a popular overlook for the sign- but you miss the Hollywood scene- which is worth the drive just to see the people who dress up in costume for pics with the tourists....

Yeah, I was pretty freaked out. There was a guy talking to himself and self hurting himself. Another guy was throwing stuffed animals at kids feet, and telling them they are free, only to ask their parents for a hand-out. I also saw two people almost get into a fist fight. Maybe it was just a bad day, IDK. Just be careful. I had more fun seeing the Rolls Royce and Bugatti on Rodeo drive...no drama there. Except people taking pictures of real stars. Funny thing is I didn't even know who those people were.

If all you really want to do is SEE it, even if you're just driving past it, you can see it from the 405 (a little bit past the airport) and 110 freeways. Not even necessary to exit if you don't want to, but it might be worthwhile to find a nice place to eat in a nice neighborhood off either of those freeways so you don't waste a drive :)

sunny45 -

I have a photo-filled report from my day trip to Catalina Island last July (see the blue link at the very bottom of my signature below), which you may or may not have already come across on the board. It may be of interest to you if you are considering a trip to the Island.

Catalina has always been my 'other' favorite place in SoCal, second to Disneyland, and I used to go there every year. Last year was my first trip back to Catalina in a while, and I loved it just as much as ever.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sherry!!I'll check it out. :goodvibes:

Not scared, just don't want to take away from DL and then end up being disappointed by a place I didn't even want to go to in the first place. :rotfl:

...If not for DL, I would never have anything to do with the LA area.

That's quite a negative generalization of the L.A. area (which is huge). DH went to college in your neck of the woods and he says there are some scary areas there, too. Go figure. Any place in the world will have beautiful spots and not so beautiful spots. Lovely people and not so lovely people. Even DLR. For us, having an open mind and common sense is key to enjoying our time wherever we are. We live in L.A. and love it. It's all right if you don't. But if you've only seen the touristy, seedy parts, then you don't really know L.A.

To the OP: if your husband really wants to see the Hollywood sign and maybe get a photo, one of the easiest ways to do this safely is to visit the Hollywood and Highland center (located, conveniently, at Hollywood and Highland!). Parking is validated for 30 minutes - 1 hour (don't remember exactly). There is a photo spot with the sign in the background on the top level. There is a Starbucks and various restaurants, too. Parking is pretty easy (underground lot). Next door is the Chinese Theater with all the footprints and across the street is Disney's El Capitan Theatre and the Disney Soda Fountain (yay, a Disney connection!!). Yes, you'll see some strange people on the sidewalk, but we've never had any trouble there, day or night, and we are in that area frequently -- so don't be anxious about that. It may not be your favorite place to be, but making your DH happy is a good thing! :)

sunny45 -

Catalina has always been my 'other' favorite place in SoCal, second to Disneyland, and I used to go there every year. Last year was my first trip back to Catalina in a while, and I loved it just as much as ever.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sherry!!I'll check it out. :goodvibes:

That's quite a negative generalization of the L.A. area (which is huge). DH went to college in your neck of the woods and he says there are some scary areas there, too. Go figure. Any place in the world will have beautiful spots and not so beautiful spots. Lovely people and not so lovely people. Even DLR. For us, having an open mind and common sense is key to enjoying our time wherever we are. We live in L.A. and love it. It's all right if you don't. But if you've only seen the touristy, seedy parts, then you don't really know L.A.

Hey everybody, I'm not dogging LA. Just Hollywood Blvd & Venice. I live about 35-40 minutes from my city, and I will honestly say that if it wasn't for the STL Cardinals, I wouldn't ever go into STL. I even know someone that lives in Irvine, CA that hates going to LA. I'm sorry if the only reason I would ever go to LA is to get to DL. I don't get into movie stars, red carpet, and all their awards. If I travel to go to a beach, I go where theres white sand and turquoise waters on the Florida Gulf. I can say the same for Orlando too. Why else WOULD I go to Orlando other than go to WDW??? It's funny because, on this forum, people were trying to talk me out of spending my third day (last day) driving around LA. People were advising me to get a 3-Day hopper instead of 2. I didn't take it as everything else in LA is bad. I DO wished I listened to them though.

Sorry that I offended everybody.

On the topic of the Hollywood Sign, just in case anyone is interested...

I don't know how many folks here were familiar with PBS travel show host Huell Howser, who passed away 6 days ago. He was primarily known in California (even though he was a Tennessee transplant) because of his multitude of low-budget shows about all aspects of this state, though he usually steered away from the big ticket places like Disneyland and focused more on history and lesser known locations, hidden treasures, average citizens, etc.

Anyway, I've been trying to locate some of my favorite Huell shows on the Internet because I had heard that his complete archive of work had been digitized and made available for free online. Of course, I have already discovered that most of the episodes I was specifically seeking out do not seem to be anywhere online (it figures). However, in the course of trying to hunt down the shows I wanted, I found Huell's show about the Hollywood Sign, from August 2007. I thought you all might be interested in seeing it!

California's Gold #132 - Hollywood Sign - August 2007 (1 hour)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter