How close are you to your breaking point?

Not harsh at all,just reality.I am talking about the center I am at.We have parents who both work from home have a nanny AND still bring their children for a full day.We have children who are there the entire time we're open and that's 6:30-6:30-longer than the staff is there.This is a very well off community.Parents that have the summer off have their children in camp full time.I can tell you that the second we open back up,we'll be full.Just the way it is here.

Yep. And parents who are teachers but still bring their kids every single day during breaks and straight up tell you "oh they drive me crazy at home".

Not harsh at all,just reality.I am talking about the center I am at.We have parents who both work from home have a nanny AND still bring their children for a full day.We have children who are there the entire time we're open and that's 6:30-6:30-longer than the staff is there.This is a very well off community.Parents that have the summer off have their children in camp full time.I can tell you that the second we open back up,we'll be full.Just the way it is here.
Yep. And parents who are teachers but still bring their kids every single day during breaks and straight up tell you "oh they drive me crazy at home".

Yep, I’ve seen this many times as a teacher. And if I can look at a kid when they come in and tell they are sick, they parents most definitely had to know.

Yep, I’ve seen this many times as a teacher. And if I can look at a kid when they come in and tell they are sick, they parents most definitely had to know.
My wife works in a school. Kids were often sent to school sicker then we would have sent our kids to school but I have a job that lets me call in at the last minute and work from home, I don't even have to use sick days I am allocated.

Most of the parents at my wife's school did not have jobs with that luxury.

They are faced with the choice of knowingly sending a sick kid to school or not making enough money that month to pay the bills.

While there will always be some that prioritize themselves over their kids, I really don't think the majority think and act that way.

There are two sides to it. I had a job in a doctors office that had no sick leave. I was about 19 and my son was 2. If I didn’t work I didn’t get paid. I lived on my own with my son. You do the math. It’s not always parents that just don’t care. Sometimes it’s about rent and bills.

I’m lucky that I work for a major hospital now and have been here 16 years. I got in here when I turned 21. Plenty of vacation and sick time and leniency when it came to sick kids and calling out. If I need to leave to run my kid to an appointment I can do that as my lunch. If I call out because my kid is sick no problem.

Not everyone has the same luxuries and privilege. It’s a shame when paid sick time (Or just being allowed to leave or call out for your sick kid) is a privilege.

The characterization that the children are getting in the way of parents is one that is representative of not all; that's what I got from the PP's response to your comments. You painted quite a broad brush there with your prior comments and your follow up comment. Is it applicable to your area and possible other areas as well? I'm sure. But representative of all parents? No. And your intial comment was in a response to someone else describing a situation that probably mirrors more people's experiences rather than wealthy parents who see their children as nuisances (the impression I got from your comments).

When I worked at the insurance company the building we were in (a newer one too) made of all comment over time about how we felt working inside it. I spoke with an urgent care doctor one time when I was in with a sinus infection who started asking me questions about neti pot usage and also how my workplace was. I explained that a lot of us commented how 1)we were so cold in there going out in 100degree hot and humid weather just to warm up 2) felt off more times than not when working inside the building 3) higher rates of getting sick more frequently, etc. While part of that can be explained with just working in close quarters she also posed that maybe I should put in a complaint with OSHA that it was possible the building I was working in was a "sick building". When I stopped working there it was pretty quick in how my body felt so much better. I stopped getting sick as frequently and I generally felt better overall. As an allergy sufferer it was clear the building was making my symptoms worse.

When a person responded to the other poster about looking into the daycare in question's overall hygiene policies and protocols that's more of what I was thinking of. Not that wealthy parents were dropping of their kids in droves to avoid having to deal with them sick or not. The side conversation of the reasons people have dropped off their children sick are def. part of the overall discussion though so it's not that your experience isn't what does happen just that it's not always the fault of the PARENTS and those PARENTS are callously only concerned with work.

There are two sides to it. I had a job in a doctors office that had no sick leave. I was about 19 and my son was 2. If I didn’t work I didn’t get paid. I lived on my own with my son. You do the math. It’s not always parents that just don’t care. Sometimes it’s about rent and bills.

I’m lucky that I work for a major hospital now and have been here 16 years. I got in here when I turned 21. Plenty of vacation and sick time and leniency when it came to sick kids and calling out. If I need to leave to run my kid to an appointment I can do that as my lunch. If I call out because my kid is sick no problem.

Not everyone has the same luxuries and privilege. It’s a shame when paid sick time (Or just being allowed to leave or call out for your sick kid) is a privilege.
The characterization that the children are getting in the way of parents is one that is representative of not all; that's what I got from the PP's response to your comments. You painted quite a broad brush there with your prior comments and your follow up comment. Is it applicable to your area and possible other areas as well? I'm sure. But representative of all parents? No. And your intial comment was in a response to someone else describing a situation that probably mirrors more people's experiences rather than wealthy parents who see their children as nuisances (the impression I got from your comments).

When I worked at the insurance company the building we were in (a newer one too) made of all comment over time about how we felt working inside it. I spoke with an urgent care doctor one time when I was in with a sinus infection who started asking me questions about neti pot usage and also how my workplace was. I explained that a lot of us commented how 1)we were so cold in there going out in 100degree hot and humid weather just to warm up 2) felt off more times than not when working inside the building 3) higher rates of getting sick more frequently, etc. While part of that can be explained with just working in close quarters she also posed that maybe I should put in a complaint with OSHA that it was possible the building I was working in was a "sick building". When I stopped working there it was pretty quick in how my body felt so much better. I stopped getting sick as frequently and I generally felt better overall. As an allergy sufferer it was clear the building was making my symptoms worse.

When a person responded to the other poster about looking into the daycare in question's overall hygiene policies and protocols that's more of what I was thinking of. Not that wealthy parents were dropping of their kids in droves to avoid having to deal with them sick or not. The side conversation of the reasons people have dropped off their children sick are def. part of the overall discussion though so it's not that your experience isn't what does happen just that it's not always the fault of the PARENTS and those PARENTS are callously only concerned with work.

Well, at schools I’ve worked at, they keep documentation of any time it happens and report it. So if CPS comes a-calling, that’s just the way it goes.

And that is the fault of the PARENTS.I work in a center,and you wouldn't believe the number of children who come in ill.The parents pooh pooh it,saying "they were up late",or we were at Grandma's yesterday.Many of them won't take a child to the Dr. when needed.The women I work with have dealt with hundreds of children over the years.If a child is fussy and digging in their ears,it's a good indication of an ear infection.Parents dose kids with Tylenol,and you can tell when it wears off.These parents' priorities are WORK and heaven forbid their children get in the way of that.It's really a shame.
Most of the parent's priority is feeding their families and paying their bills because the vast majority of employers have abysmal family/sick policies. If you can't recognize that, maybe childcare isn't the best place for you.

Well, at schools I’ve worked at, they keep documentation of any time it happens and report it. So if CPS comes a-calling, that’s just the way it goes.

I've never seen an abuse and neglect case that involves this type of allegation, ever.

The funny thing about requirements for mandated reporters, you either observe and report or it's not worthy of reporting. There is no middle ground wherein the mandated reporters build a case and then decide to do the reporting function. That would be cause for dereliction of the mandated reporting requirement, which I'm guessing would also result in suspension and likely termination.

well, y’all seemed to be discussing how there are extenuating circumstances, I was just giving a heads up that what may be extenuating once every so often, can on paper look chronic to authorities.
Sure I can see that though that wasn't more of what my comment was about. Mine was about saying it's not always a parent who sees their kid as a nuisance.

However,you seemed to agree with the PP whose comment I quoted. I would assume you meant your CPS comment to them as well because surely that's a sign of parental neglect the same as what you mean when people were describing extenuating circumstances.

Most of the parent's priority is feeding their families and paying their bills because the vast majority of employers have abysmal family/sick policies. If you can't recognize that, maybe childcare isn't the best place for you.
Hey-guess what? Me too! And then I get to call in sick because some idiot parent sent their child to school vomiting,or with a fever,or coughing like a seal.It cuts both ways,doesn't it?

And don't you think the childcare workers have families to support? How is it the responsibility of the worker to take care of someone's sick child so they can work?

That is so horribly worded that I can't tell what I meant. lol

I don't think some people are meant to work in childcare. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter