• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How can you transport refrigerated meds on a plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiLPrincess

Mouseketeer
Our son has been placed on a medication that requires refrigeration. Are there any tips on how to keep it cold during the flight? Our travel day will be 11 hours from house to resort

Depends how cold does it need to be kept. DH uses a FRIO to keep insulin pens cold. It doesn't cool them directly, but will maintain the temperature the med was when put into the FRIO. He's never had a problem keeping insulin cold with a FRIO, and we've used one for other cold medications as well.

Alternatively, an insulated lunch bag. Wrap the med in a washcloth and put into a ziploc. Then add some frozen fruit (like grapes) to the lunch bag. The "something frozen" must remain solid frozen at least until you get through TSA OR not melt to liquid (such as the grapes).

Depends how cold does it need to be kept. DH uses a FRIO to keep insulin pens cold. It doesn't cool them directly, but will maintain the temperature the med was when put into the FRIO. He's never had a problem keeping insulin cold with a FRIO, and we've used one for other cold medications as well.

Alternatively, an insulated lunch bag. Wrap the med in a washcloth and put into a ziploc. Then add some frozen fruit (like grapes) to the lunch bag. The "something frozen" must remain solid frozen at least until you get through TSA OR not melt to liquid (such as the grapes).
If you use anything liquid, or unwrapped food, (like grapes in a baggie) be prepared to be pulled aside to be screened for it.

If you use anything liquid, or unwrapped food, (like grapes in a baggie) be prepared to be pulled aside to be screened for it.
Anything liquid - you may be required to dump it. I bring food through all the time when traveling; never had a problem with frozen grapes. TSA has no rules about pre-packaged. As long as the food item isn't a liquid or gel, it's basically good; some thick creamy items may be questioned (like peanut butter, dips, soft cheese, etc.).

I've used frozen water bottles as long as they're frozen going through TSA, you are good.
Yep - the trick may be keeping it solid until one gets through TSA. Depends how far away from the airport you live.

Frozen water bottles or any kind of ice packs in a cooler bag should be fine. My dad flies with them frequently and hasn't had a problem. Might get asked about them, but they're allowed through if they're frozen (or mostly-frozen) when they go through TSA.

Anything liquid - you may be required to dump it. I bring food through all the time when traveling; never had a problem with frozen grapes. TSA has no rules about pre-packaged. As long as the food item isn't a liquid or gel, it's basically good; some thick creamy items may be questioned (like peanut butter, dips, soft cheese, etc.).

Frozen water bottles or any kind of ice packs in a cooler bag should be fine. My dad flies with them frequently and hasn't had a problem. Might get asked about them, but they're allowed through if they're frozen (or mostly-frozen) when they go through TSA.
Don't try it through Boston - they test everything! My friend who was TSA there says it's because of 9/11 (the planes that hit the WTC were out of Logan) and not wanting to have anything like that happen again.

Double check. Many of the meds people think need refrigeration can be kept at room temperature for month.

The best resource is the TSA website.
They have a page about disabilities and medical conditions. Whatever you use needs to meet these guidelines written on the website:

Ice packs, freezer packs, gel packs, and other accessories may be presented at the screening checkpoint in a frozen or partially-frozen state to keep medically necessary items cool. All items, including supplies associated with medically necessary liquids such as IV bags, pumps, and syringes must be screened before they will be permitted into the secure area of the airport.

If you bring a frozen food item - like grapes - I’d personally advise to not use foil. From our experience, it looks suspicious to TSA and will cause extra scrutiny.

My other suggestion would be to check with the Pharmacist for the exact temperature requirement and the temperature range. Some liquid medications are refrigerated to help hide the taste, not because they need refrigeration to remain stable.
There are also medications that need refrigeration for long term storage, but not the ‘in-use’ bottle or are normally refrigerated, but can be out for a period of time.
If you are using something frozen to keep the medication cold, you may need to protect the medication so it doesn’t get too cold.

The last thing, liquid medications can be put in your 3-1-1 bag if they fit and each bottle is less/equal to 100 mL. Larger bottles need to be declared as ‘medical liquids’ and will get further checking. Let the TSA agent know if the medication can’t be x-rayed/go thru the scanner. They may need to open the bottle to check it, but won’t touch the liquid inside. If the bottle is opened, check to make sure the lid is screwed back on tight.
We do carry multiple large bottles of my daughter’s liquid medication; in recent trips, they have used some kind of optical scanner in Minneapolis and MCO and did Not open it.

The TSA has a website that addresses traveling with medication: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

As SueM noted, speak with your pharmacist about the medication and what its actual requirements are. Some medications are allowed short "excursions" outside their normal storage temperatures (within certain ranges), and others can spend a longer period of time (even as long as a month or more for some) at room temperature if needed (but usually then have a shorter expiry date in that case, e.g. if stored at room temp must be used within X days vs it would normally have many months to be used if stored in the fridge). Your pharmacist should be able to explain what "rules" do and do not apply to the specific medication in question, how best to keep it safe, etc. They should also be able to provide written patient information about the drug that will include storage instructions that could be helpful to have when going through airport security e.g. if it does need to be kept cold.

Depending what the medication is the manufacturer may also have information on their website - for one of my meds, the manufacturer has a one page travel document translated in multuple languages that explains what the med is, that it is an essential medication and must travel with me, and that it must be stored between X and Y temperatures, and then has space for my info to be filled out and my doctor to sign.

One last thought...

If your medication must be kept cold throughout your entire Disney trip, plan ahead for not only your return flight (in which case either a frozen water bottle, or a frozen "blue" ice pack might be better) but also storage in your hotel room.

Most Disney Resort Hotel rooms now have only "beverage coolers" that will not get colder than 42 degrees (per the sticker on the front of the unit) so be prepared - you may have to work with Bell Services to keep your meds and/or your ice pack(s) in their fridge/freezer.

Freezer packs in a small soft sided cooler. They’re a solid not a liquid so not a problem at security, especially for medical needs. Alternatively, bring zip lock bags and keep changing out ice.

At Disney hotels you can ask bell service to freeze ice packs for you or refrigerate items.

You can buy a special zippered container for meds (or insulin pens) that has blue ice packs that you freeze before your trip. Take them out of the freezer and put them in the container and put your meds inside.

Don't try it through Boston - they test everything! My friend who was TSA there says it's because of 9/11 (the planes that hit the WTC were out of Logan) and not wanting to have anything like that happen again.
Then your friend at Boston is not following TSA's own rules.

The rules that says if it’s frozen it’s allowed.

TSA power trips aside, of course.
The rules are so TSA doesn't have to screen every single thing people bring with them - limits are there to keep us all safe. Terrorists still exist, and if one of them figures out how to bring explosives on board in a frozen something or other, I'm glad TSA in Boston is going on "TSA power trips".

The rules are so TSA doesn't have to screen every single thing people bring with them - limits are there to keep us all safe. Terrorists still exist, and if one of them figures out how to bring explosives on board in a frozen something or other, I'm glad TSA in Boston is going on "TSA power trips".
Sorry, I disagree. While of course everything is subject to search, if TSA regulations say that frozen liquids will be permitted, no TSA agent should be able to summarily say “Nope, don’t try to bring that onboard here”.

Closing since the OP’s question was answered and thread is going off into tangents

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter