• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How can they fix ADR's?

lowlight

DIS Veteran
I know many people are upset with ADR's, whether it's the app not working, website not working, both not working, reservations opening later or earlier than 6 AM for just some people, ADR's not being released at 60 days (dining packages, or just didn't drop on the right day), being available for a party of 5 or 7, but not 4 or 6, etc. After the fiasco booking ADR's for my trip earlier this year, I swore off ADR's except for 1 or 2 special ones that my kids or wife wanted (CRT, BOG, etc). I used to do 1-2 per day I was in WDW, now it will be 3 total for my upcoming 10+ day trip. Coupled with increased costs of food and lower food quality, poor service, trouble booking them, etc., ADR's are just not as appealing as they once were. Did Disney used to do this differently 15+ years ago? I feel like even when the window was 180, it was better, but maybe it's just my imagination. Or does everyone think it's fine, and nothing needs to change?

I can't believe the problems I'm having with Disney tech. This is almost 2023, and same o' problems from 20 years ago.

15+ years ago I would assume that many people (like me) called instead of doing it online (back when they used to answer the phone).

I liked the time when resort guest could book at 90 or 120 day and day guests at 60 day. That was a perk of staying on site as well as resort guests don't have as much choice of eating off site because of transportation. Thanks

I still remember being able to show up at Disneyland, get in the line at Blue Bayou and make reservations for lunch or dinner that same day. There wasn't a single restaurant on property that you couldn't get a same day reservation for most days.

I still remember being able to show up at Disneyland, get in the line at Blue Bayou and make reservations for lunch or dinner that same day. There wasn't a single restaurant on property that you couldn't get a same day reservation for most days.
It would be a complete disaster if they tried that now. Attendance is far higher than it was in those days. More people expect to eat out, and the number of restaurants hasn't kept pace. Plus, people don't just want any restaurant. They typically want very specific restaurants. I'll pay top dollar for certain places, but would totally bypass others (the ones more likely to have openings).

It would be a complete disaster if they tried that now. Attendance is far higher than it was in those days. More people expect to eat out, and the number of restaurants hasn't kept pace. Plus, people don't just want any restaurant. They typically want very specific restaurants. I'll pay top dollar for certain places, but would totally bypass others (the ones more likely to have openings).
Depends on how you define "disaster." I'm sure Blue Bayou would still be fully booked every day if Disney made reservations available "day of visit." Just by different people than would book them 60 days in advance. I'm sure that the people that got a chance to eat at Blue Bayou on a whim would be fine with that.

Yeah, there'd be a line or a mad scramble online that morning, but people would cope with that. It's not like it never happens in other contexts. Isn't that kind of what Disney did by substituting Genie+ for Fastpass here in Orlando?

As far as there not being enough capacity at the desirable restaurants....well, I guess that could be fixable, if Disney chose to do so. I fully agree that the current artificial scarcity isn't helpful for most guests.

I would imagine that from Disney's point of view, as long as the restaurant is sold out, there is no issue to be fixed. The relaxation of the cancellation policy hints to me that they're fine with having more same-day reservations and walk-ups so maybe there will actually be less focus on ADRs in the future. This would be similar to the FP/Genie changeover, where it's no longer required/possible to book your rides far in advance of your trip.

I liked the time when resort guest could book at 90 or 120 day and day guests at 60 day. That was a perk of staying on site as well as resort guests don't have as much choice of eating off site because of transportation. Thanks
When was that the case? I only remember 60 days plus 10 as it is now and 180 days plus 10 as it was pre-pandemic.

One aspect Disney needs to change is not allowing people to "hoard" reservations. They make 2, 3 or more for the same restaurant, wait to see what works best, then cancel unused. Also there are a lot of "trade, buy etc" FB pages for the hoarders.
Harder to hoard "Day of" reservations. :-)

I don’t think I’d like like same day reservations - it’s hard enough buying Genie+ everyday and selecting your first ride, and then getting your additional ILL (if you choose to) - to add in making a dining reservation on top of that would be difficult. Way too much competition each morning.

For me, I like to know I have the must do things secured prior to arrival - if I’m spending a lot of money on a vacation, I want to make sure I will get most of what I want while on the trip. I can’t change my mind on going once I’m there. This is why I like to pre-plan but I realize others don’t care for that. The “+10” is a great benefit for onsite guests if you have a long trip scheduled.

I don’t think I’d like like same day reservations - it’s hard enough buying Genie+ everyday and selecting your first ride, and then getting your additional ILL (if you choose to) - to add in making a dining reservation on top of that would be difficult. Way too much competition each morning.

For me, I like to know I have the must do things secured prior to arrival - if I’m spending a lot of money on a vacation, I want to make sure I will get most of what I want while on the trip. I can’t change my mind on going once I’m there. This is why I like to pre-plan but I realize others don’t care for that. The “+10” is a great benefit for onsite guests if you have a long trip scheduled.
I think Disney should offer both same day and in advance reservations. Accommodate both types of guests.

I think Disney should offer both same day and in advance reservations. Accommodate both types of guests.
They are already making changes to allow this at resort based restaurants. Holding some back for guests staying there. And there have been lots of threads complaining about how much harder it is now to book those.

Depends on how you define "disaster." I'm sure Blue Bayou would still be fully booked every day if Disney made reservations available "day of visit." Just by different people than would book them 60 days in advance. I'm sure that the people that got a chance to eat at Blue Bayou on a whim would be fine with that.

Yeah, there'd be a line or a mad scramble online that morning, but people would cope with that. It's not like it never happens in other contexts. Isn't that kind of what Disney did by substituting Genie+ for Fastpass here in Orlando?

As far as there not being enough capacity at the desirable restaurants....well, I guess that could be fixable, if Disney chose to do so. I fully agree that the current artificial scarcity isn't helpful for most guests.
Oh, I'm sure the restaurants would still be full. But scrambling every morning for the ADRs you wanted at the same time you're scrambling for Genie+ and ILLs just doesn't sound like a magical start to the day. Lots of families like to do BBB followed by breakfast or lunch at the castle. Doesn't sound fun to leave it all up to chance day of. At least if you don't get what you want 60 days out, you can adjust days or expectations.

Right. I’d imagine there might be a good amount of people who would choose to skip one of these things if they had to do everything morning of. And then Disney would lose all that money. Which we know is NOT their goal. No advance dining sounds like the worst idea yet.

Right. I’d imagine there might be a good amount of people who would choose to skip one of these things if they had to do everything morning of. And then Disney would lose all that money. Which we know is NOT their goal. No advance dining sounds like the worst idea yet.
No, Disney wouldn't lose a single penny. Every restaurant would be full. Trust me.

Oh, I'm sure the restaurants would still be full. But scrambling every morning for the ADRs you wanted at the same time you're scrambling for Genie+ and ILLs just doesn't sound like a magical start to the day. Lots of families like to do BBB followed by breakfast or lunch at the castle. Doesn't sound fun to leave it all up to chance day of. At least if you don't get what you want 60 days out, you can adjust days or expectations.
I understand, but some people that don't have hotel reservation or didn't plan in advance currently have no hope booking many places. That's not magical for them, either. I think holding back some spots for day off would be a good compromise. There is no way that everyone will be totally happy, because there are just too many people chasing too few tables.

Any solution that anyone proposes will always have pros and cons and some people will reject it if it happens to clash with their personal preferences and circumstances. A "fair" solution would probably upset everyone, and there's no way to avoid that.

No, Disney wouldn't lose a single penny. Every restaurant would be full. Trust me.

I mean people might skip ILL or genie + if dining is important. That’s the money Disney will lose. And that’s easy money that doesn’t cost them a dime. They don’t want to lose that money.

Every restaurant would be full, yes, but I’d reschedule or cancel the trip as a whole if it was shaping up to be less than expected - I know it’s just dining but that is part of the experience and I don’t like wandering looking for a place to eat with my family-we can agree on places beforehand and know we have our must do restaurants booked.

I don’t have a problem with some tables held back for walk up’s - because on the same note I think it’s pretty bad some people can’t even eat at their resort where they are paying hundreds of dollars per night to stay.

I mean people might skip ILL or genie + if dining is important. That’s the money Disney will lose. And that’s easy money that doesn’t cost them a dime. They don’t want to lose that money.
Good. Those "services" make life miserable for other people. But, I doubt that would be the case: the parks are so crowded, there is a nearly inexhaustible supply of guests willing to pay to be less miserable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter