How can people ever afford Florida holidays??

God I miss Homebargains living down south! Love visiting in whenever I go up to see my family in Cheshire. Have a bit of a problem with places like that and Poundland though - I see things I don't need and say 'well, it's only a pound' and end up buying them anyway. Last time I went to Poundland i went in for some scented candles and came out with Cars cereal, a Lightening McQueen kite and a Mickey head ice cube tray!

i love shopping at makro !! the 5kg bags of stew beef are lovely !! remember your coat though coz its sooo cold in the fridge section

although spending £300 on a makro shop seems like you are not budgeting it does last ages and i only spend a small amount picking up veg etc in the week !! i bought 4 hge bottles of fabric conditioner at xmas and still going strong

One of the advantages of living in my deprived northern town is we have plenty of choice of cheap shops - homebargains, poundland, poundworld - wilkinsons is the poshest shop in the shopping centre :rotfl:

We also do a Costco shop for washing powder etc. Is a little taste of America aswell.

Downbranding - great way to save money:
If you always buy Heinz beans - try the supermarket own.
Simply doing this with all your items where there is a cheaper alternative - it is worth trying - if you don't like something - move back up - but there should be savings along the way!

We have a PoundLand - and I always go there to buy cleaning/toiletries type things

Super Market:
Timotee Shampoo £1.99
Colgate Tootpaste £2.27
Small supermarket own 10 wash Washing Powder £1.70
Morning Fresh Washing Up liquid £1.58 (two bottles)
Bodyform £1.55
Radox Shower Gel £1.90
4pints milk £1.18
4 x AA Tesco Rechargeable Batteries £7

Total = £19.17

In Poundland = £9

I also go to a greengrocer to get fruit and veg - I can get the quantity I want and it stays fresher for longer

Everyones finances are different, we live in a very average 3 bed detached, only about £100/month mortgage (into final year) we don't smoke, only have odd drink at home, odd meal out etc,
I also wouldn't spend money on DLP but others love it, thats another discussion in its self.
Cost varies so much, if its your first visit then you will want to do as many parks as you can, they can dig deep into your budget. Flights last minute offpeak can be as low as £200 or in summer as high as £800+. Hotels cost from less than £20/nt offsite to £500+/nt onsite.
If you really want to go you will find a way but it could mean giving up trips to DLP, house repairs, new car......... we give up a lot to get our trips to Orlando.

Same here... we have to stop spending so much on going out etc... we've even stopped giving expensive gifts to each other (the adults) and we save the money instead.. it will still take us 2 years to save up all the $$$ lofl we went for our honemoon so only 2 ppl and spent about 5,000 euros this time we'll be 3 adults and 2 kids omgggg hahahha

First time I went to Florida was when I was 28, I'd spent 14 years following Everton home and away inc Europe (tho that wasnt very often). To afford Florida I knocked the football on the head, found it was much cheaper than football and am going for the 3rd time in 4 years this year. I miss the football and going to aways with the lads but enjoy florida more. Tho to be honest I much prefer Busch, seaworld and universal more than Disney. i still enjoy disney tho so dont lynch me!

Tho to be honest I much prefer Busch, seaworld and universal more than Disney. i still enjoy disney tho so dont lynch me!

You are not alone, I think Busch is close to the perfect park, something for everyone, every age, certainly my favourite park but I enjoy them all.:goodvibes

Tho to be honest I much prefer Busch, seaworld and universal more than Disney. i still enjoy disney tho so dont lynch me!

Ditto - two weeks at Universal and Islands of Adventure is less than £100. Can't justify paying what Disney want for their parks, especially when the Universal parks are so much better!

You are not alone, I think Busch is close to the perfect park, something for everyone, every age, certainly my favourite park but I enjoy them all.:goodvibes

Totally agree - Busch and Seaworld are my 1 and 2.

***CAUTION: BLASPHEMY AHEAD***

I don't go to florida for the pixie dust and the large lump of land that is disney world. The fact it's where it is, that's just a bonus and therefore just as important as the rest of the reasons for going to florida.

***BLASPHEMY OVER, MOVE ALONG***

I go for the heat because I enjoy it, and it helps DW's medical condition.
I go for theme parks in general, because I love rides, rollercoasters and the fun atmosphere.
I go for the villa we stay in, knowing I can get up each morning for three weeks and go for a swim in the private pool before breakfast.
I go for the break away from the norm.
I go for that rush of heat between the plane door and the gangway as you step off at MCO / SFB.
I go for the beaches and their miles of clean, proper, sand.
I go for the shopping, and the strip malls selling discounted branded electronics :cool2:

All of THAT makes Florida an affordable trip to me. It's not about the money it costs, it's about the value for money you get in so many ways. :goodvibes

I go for the break away from the norm.
:goodvibes

Totally 100% agree ...... although I do go for the Disney bit ;)

Going to Florida provides me with an escape from the everyday rush, frenetic, stressful lives me and DH and boys leads. As I get off the plane and feel the heat I literally can feel the stress and worry drain out of me. I would agree it's not all about the cost of getting and staying there it's about the physical/emotional feeling that spending that money gives me :goodvibes

I don't agree with the dlp remarks, don't let others put you off it's still great arks We first went to DLP when our eldest was 7 (12 yrs ago:scared). We lived in kent so it was very easy to go to, she was the only one in her class not to have been- so we kind of felt we ought to go. We had expected to not like it , but knew she would, and decided to get it over with:rotfl:. We were blown away- We have since been to WDW at least 5 times and back to Paris a few times as well.

We keep the flight price as low as we can, and have been know have 2 stops on route to keep the price as low as possible and we usually stay in a very good priced villa (£250-£300 per week). This year the free dining 45%discont okw deal means we are staying in disney this year. The total this year for 4 adults includding flights tickets and all food (exp tips) was less than £4500 and this is for july :banana:

Wow thats a good price. How long are you going for?

To answer the original question. Its not about the cost. As many people on here have already said - you make sacrifices. I have a very stressful job as a sister of a busy and heavy stroke unit. 2 weeks at WDW gives me the relief from those stresses as its a home away from home. As soon as we're in the car driving to our hotel - I say my usual saying (and the kids always laugh at me) "I'm Home!"
I can't explain how going to Orlando makes me feel. I feel down in the dumps until I book my next holiday and as soon as I do its like being on a high. I can come home from work and delve into planning - takes my mind off the job.
This feeling is priceless and worth every penny I spend sacrificing to get us there.
If someone had said this to me before I went the first time - I'd have thought they were mad, but once you've been - its addictive :cloud9:

"I'm Home!"
I can't explain how going to Orlando makes me feel. I feel down in the dumps until I book my next holiday and as soon as I do its like being on a high. I can come home from work and delve into planning - takes my mind off the job.
This feeling is priceless and worth every penny I spend sacrificing to get us there.
If someone had said this to me before I went the first time - I'd have thought they were mad, but once you've been - its addictive :cloud9:

:thumbsup2 yep this is exactly how I feel. As soon as we step out of that plane its like we never left and I instantly feel 'at home'..Its so difficult to explain to others that the stress of my other life is totally left behind and I feel like I have never left from last time...bliss. :)

:thumbsup2 yep this is exactly how I feel. As soon as we step out of that plane its like we never left and I instantly feel 'at home'..Its so difficult to explain to others that the stress of my other life is totally left behind and I feel like I have never left from last time...bliss. :)

Me too!!!
Ive been going ever since i was around 3 yrs old! I also have family in America " Im adopted and was actually very lucky to grow up knowing my true family in the states" which included my dad who is American... I feel utterly at home when i walk through the airport doors and feel the rush of heat :banana:

My dh thought i was utterly crazy when i used to go on and on about how I loved the states and how Disney made me feel complete when i was there! I begged him to save so we could take our boys who at the time was 1,1,3 " he thought Disney was ONLY for children":laughing: we was only 21 and 25 when we managed to save for a 2wk stay at POP we went budget with travel city direct who at the time flew with Excel (what a nightmare that flight was) they put us in seats with NO baby oxygen masks and had to move us seats splitting the whole party up and taking us away from our 3 yr old!! no other guest wanted to move so it delayed the flight by 2 hours as they could not take off until we was seated with 2 oxygen outlets I thought my Dh was NEVER going to fly again! p.s It also happened again on the way back!!!! exact same problem after being promised we had different seats...............
BUT when we arrived at POP and Disney hit him full on in the face he was completly taken in with it all and that 1st trip to a Disney park made the awful flight and scrimping and saving soooo worth it! Of course DH loved it so much he asked me to marry him at Disney :lmao: and we have been going every other yr since!
I can not wait to go back to my happy place im just so pleased My children and Dh are as crazy over it as I am :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter