How can I save money on a rental car?

traces7

DIS Veteran
Is there a place where I can find discount codes for car rentals? Or any other advise on how to save. I'm renting a car for a trip, not Disney though. Thank you!

I posted the below in another thread and think it is also on topic for this thread. Thanks!

I am currently planning to fly to Disney World next week (Jan. 5) for Marathon Weekend. However, given the recent flight cancellations and my concern for COVID in advance of Marathon Weekend, I'm considering driving from PA. To avoid the miles on my car, I'm considering renting a car. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and the only car rental location anywhere near me is Enterprise.

Any tips on the best way to book Enterprise to save some money?

Any tips on the best way to book Enterprise to save some money?

Check autoslash and costcotravel if you are a member.
And check Enterprise, a lot.

Don't book anything unchangeable.
Make sure you have unlimited mileage.
And read EVERYTHING about the rental to make sure there are no restrictions on where you can take it. If everything goes fine then they would never know, but if you got into an accident in Florida and it turns out you weren't supposed to be in Florida with the rental, it will not be good.

www.autoslash.com is where I go for all of my car rentals. I'm heading down to MCO next month and my rental started at $425, as of yesterday I'm down to $185 for a mid size SUV from Thrifty. They search all of the sites, publicly available discounts and those programs you tell them you're a member of, including AAA, AARP, Costco and airline frequent flyer programs.

I like to rent directly from the rental company and a recommendation if you go that way is to book a refundable car now and then starting 2 weeks out from your trip start checking, cancelling and rebooking as the prices start to drop. There seems to be a sweet spot about one week out. Don´t get any of the extras.

I get a discount through my employer but often I get better rates using the pay now option. I reserve ahead of time and pay for it then. Then I keep checking to see if I can do better on the price as the date approaches.

I get a discount through my employer but often I get better rates using the pay now option. I reserve ahead of time and pay for it then. Then I keep checking to see if I can do better on the price as the date approaches.
Why do you keep checking to see if you can get a better price after you have already paid for your car rental ahead of time?

Why do you keep checking to see if you can get a better price after you have already paid for your car rental ahead of time?
Many pay now rates are refundable. If you find a better deal you cancel your prepaid reservation and they refund your money eventually, how long is usually dependent on your CC issuer or bank if you use a debit card.

Many pay now rates are refundable. If you find a better deal you cancel your prepaid reservation and they refund your money eventually, how long is usually dependent on your CC issuer or bank if you use a debit card.
The company I used to use was refundable, but now they have a penalty, so double check if you choose to go that route.

Check autoslash and costcotravel if you are a member.
And check Enterprise, a lot.

Don't book anything unchangeable.
Make sure you have unlimited mileage.
And read EVERYTHING about the rental to make sure there are no restrictions on where you can take it. If everything goes fine then they would never know, but if you got into an accident in Florida and it turns out you weren't supposed to be in Florida with the rental, it will not be good.
Autoslash is my favorite.. it checks costco Priceline all at once.
It also keeps checking incase the price drops.

To look for a better rate. I cancel and rebook if I find a cheaper price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter