How bad will the buse system be for POR in mid May?

horse11

DIS Veteran
Ok be honest. How bad will the bus system be for the POR in mid May? How long of wait is it typically in the am to the parks and the pm return from the parks? Any one have suggestions or tips in using POR transportation system?

OK, I will be honest. I've stayed at POR (and POFQ) several times and never had any issue with the buses. The buses arrive about every 20 min for each park. They come more frequently in the mornings before and at park opening and in the evening at park closing times. Usually if buses fill before making the complete resort circuit another bus will be called and will arrive within minutes. At peak times and when the resorts/parks are crowded, POR doesn't share buses with POFQ. During quieter times of the day, they may share.

My only advice is to remember that you are on vacation, so relax and be patient. Allow yourself plenty of time if you must be at a certain place at a certain time. And if you can't do any of the above, rent a car. Parking at the parks is free when you stay onsite.

I realize we will have to provide plenty of time to get to and from the parks but what would you say is an estimated amount of time we should plan for? How far of a ride is to the parks from POR? Thank you for your information.

I always plan for 1 hour total waiting and travel time. Then I'm happy when it takes less! People really get their knickers in a bunch about the buses. A positive attitude and realistic expectations make it a great service. Have a great trip!

I always plan for 1 hour total waiting and travel time. Then I'm happy when it takes less! People really get their knickers in a bunch about the buses. A positive attitude and realistic expectations make it a great service. Have a great trip!

:thumbsup2 Especially the knickers part:) Can't tell the number of parents we have seen having melt downs.
Below is an estimate of travel time to the parks, once you leave the PO resorts. Remember; if you leave during the busiest time there will be a longer wait. We never try to leave MK right after the fireworks.

Magic Kingdom - 16 minutes by bus, 29 minutes by car (with transfers)
Epcot - 20 minutes by bus, 19 minutes by car
Disney's Hollywood Studios - 17 minutes by bus, 19 minutes by car
Disney’s Animal Kingdom - 22 minutes by bus, 19 minutes by car
Downtown Disney - 20 minutes by bus, 18 minutes by boat, 12 minutes by car
Blizzard Beach water park - 24 minutes by bus, 14 minutes by car
Typhoon Lagoon water park - 19 minutes by bus, 13 minutes by car

it has multiply stops inside the resort which can add 10 to 20 minutes sometimes more - if a person with a scooter or wheelchair has to board. so that is the main problem with the buses at POR.

the only time when they actually left before they got to us and it took over an hour was in March during spring break there.

it has multiply stops inside the resort which can add 10 to 20 minutes sometimes more - if a person with a scooter or wheelchair has to board. so that is the main problem with the buses at POR.

But that happens with every resort with multiple bus stops, not just Port Orleans Riverside (not picking on this poster but just pointing that out). Also happens with shared/possibly shared bus lines like the Epcot resorts (although alternative means are there for Studios and Epcot) and All Stars. And add in that if there is only one bus line, like at Pop Century, those lines can be long.

So, in reality, any resort will have good things and bad things about the bus system. I'm on vacation so I try and focus on the good things and let the bad things take care of themselves.

the op was asking why some people did not like the buses at POR - that is one reason.

both POP and POR because they are easier to get around - attract more wc users than the other non-deluxe resort.

Mother was in one for years - so unless staying at DVC - those were my choices. Had to push her so being able to get around was a big selling point for me.

other places with the multiple stops problems are - POR, CSR, OKW, SSR - the all stars sometimes, the epcot resorts only to mk and ak sometimes, the mk resorts only to studios and ak. DD and AK are bus only. You could walk to DD from SSR and OKW - but that (I think) is closed until the changes to DD are finished.

sometimes mean that - sometimes the all star share and other times they do not.
same with epcot resorts - sometimes they all share - and sometimes BC/YC share - and BW/D&S share.

Pop and AOA do not at present share and they have the best bus service. yes the lines are long - this is a value resort. but have yet to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus at POP. most of the time when one leaves full -another one is right behind it.

We went the day after Mother's Day last year for the week. We had a car and took the bus to MK. We tried from the south and east locations. We found that the east was very quiet and always got a seat. South was crazy and standing only if you got on. I hear though that only is the case for the MK. They go to south last -every other park it often is the first stop. I was worried but nicely surprised. The ONLY bad thing the 3 times we went to the MK happened our last night. We shopped after the fireworks to get rid of the rush. Went about an hour after and found a 3 row line ONLY for POR. It went all the way down under I think 3 signs. It was the only hotel with a line. People said they where in line 1hr+ and only one bus in 40 mins. People asked CMs with radios if they could call more buses ( there were several buses going to POFQ coming regularly). While I read on here buses run approx every 20 mins the CM said there was one bus and no it didn't run every 20 mins it took however long to pick up/drop off and come back. Then I think 2 showed up together if I remember correctly. It was a EMH night.

I have stayed at a few of the resorts. Most either share buses have multiple stops within the resort. CSR not only has 4 internal stops but at certain times will stop at BB on it's way to AK. I stayed at BC and ended up going to 3 other resorts before getting back. So, all resorts have some drawbacks but as the other poster said, just relax, allow extra time. POR is not that bad. Yes, sometimes it is packed and stops at FQ first, one time that happened to me I got off at FQ got a snack at the food court and took the bus back to POR. Very nice. You can always grab the FQ bus at MK if POR is full. It is a peaceful walk between the resorts also.
The new MK bus loop has opened, hopefully that will allow quicker transport. Remember, the bus to MK takes you right there. If you drive, you have to park, take a tram to the TTC and then boat/monorail to MK

:thumbsup2 Especially the knickers part:) Can't tell the number of parents we have seen having melt downs.
Below is an estimate of travel time to the parks, once you leave the PO resorts. Remember; if you leave during the busiest time there will be a longer wait. We never try to leave MK right after the fireworks.

Disneys Animal Kingdom - 22 minutes by bus, 19 minutes by car

Are those the travel times from that other website's travel wizzard? They are known to be incorrect. No way is it a longer ride to Epcot then to MK. No way. Epcot is maybe a 12 minute ride away while MK is around 20 minutes away from POR.

But I agree. No need to get your knickers in a twist waiting for a bus. You can't control when they show up. On average they do come around every 20 minutes. If you need to get someplace quick you can always go up front and grab a taxi.

We timed it when we were there from Magic Kingdom to first stop at POR and it was 12minutes transit time.

We went may 13-17 this year and stayed at POR. Buses were ongoing to the parks (Epcot we waited over an HOUR for a bus causing us to be late for princess lunch). I will say returning from the parks POR seemed to always have some of the longest lines. Leaving MK one night I know we had to wait for a second bus and I think leaving Epcot we had to wait for a second bus too

We were there in May 2012. The buses in the morning didn't seem that bad to us. But, at night they were very packed. The lines at night were kind of long so we never got on the first bus. We always had to wait for the 2nd one. But, we were there at the end of May. So maybe that's why they were so full.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom - 22 minutes by bus, 19 minutes by car

About the boat to Downtown Disney - is is 18 by boat if the boat is sitting there ready to go? Or is there always a boat sitting there ready to go? Also when we get to Downtown Disney, about how many minutes to walk to T Rex? We have a 5:30 reservation there and we are staying at Riverside AB.

Thanks!

About the boat to Downtown Disney - is is 18 by boat if the boat is sitting there ready to go? Or is there always a boat sitting there ready to go? Also when we get to Downtown Disney, about how many minutes to walk to T Rex? We have a 5:30 reservation there and we are staying at Riverside AB.

Thanks!

The times listed are just estimated travel times only, not including waiting for transportation. I had been where it took less time and other times where it seemed the bus hit every red light:( No; the boats are continuously running like the buses, so there will be a wait for them.

Thanks!

Disney recommends you budget 90 minutes to get from point A to B using their transportation. Usually that is excessive, but every so often you really do need all of that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter